GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"War Of The Worlds"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/06/05 at 13:19
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
So anyone seeing this when it comes out ? :-) I'm looking forward to it big time ! I was saying ages ago how there should be a remake of this film, and just a couple of days later, I'm looking around film sites and there was news of this one being made !

And just to add to it, the release of the film pretty much lands on my birthday ! The old film is one of my favourites so its cool to have the new one arrive for my birthday. ;-)

I've been watching trailers for it since around Christmas time, but I've managed to avoid seeing this one thats supposedly doing the rounds online that shows the Martian war machines. Don't want to see them in all their glory till I see the film. :-)

Gonna be going on Thursday 30th June seeing as they start showing the film in Basildon a day early. ;-)
Thu 07/07/05 at 22:23
Regular
"Selected"
I just got back from seeing this, thought it was good. I'm gonna be honest and say initially I didn't understand why they died at the end but in my defence, I haven't read the book (and also, I'm stupid). Also, to be fair to me I didn't hear what Cruise was shouting at the army guy. I heard him shouting "look at the birds", then he shouted something else. Somebody tell me?

And I'm not sure if the birds transmitted the disease, I think they were supposed to symbolise that there was something wrong with the tripod because a few shots eariler, you see some birds eating the dead/dying plants. I think they actually catch the disease from the human blood you see the tripods 'sucking'.

Oh, and as for the camera at the beginning, if you look you see him winding it on, so it's not a digital camera. Not that I was thinking the same thing, I just noticed the guy.
Thu 07/07/05 at 21:25
Regular
What if the pilots of the tripods are neurally linked to the machines as they're piloting?
Thu 07/07/05 at 20:21
Regular
"The definitive tag"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> So they can make shields but they can't put on gas masks? And again -
> why did the shields go off when the aliens started to die inside? 'Tis
> madness.

Fell on the button that switches them off when they collapsed over their instruments perhaps?

Probably not, I just thought that our atmosphere/bacteria etc screwed up their tripods in the same way that it killed the aliens.

Doesn't have to make perfect sense, very few movies are completely devoid of any mistakes.
Thu 07/07/05 at 19:23
Regular
"That's right!"
"I understand how the birds were the ones who carried disease (from human blood right?)"

A lot of people have trouble with the ending because either, a) they haven't seen the original or read the book or b) they're stupid.

I'm hoping it's reason a) for you.

Did you know oxygen is actually quite deadly? To us it's fine but to aliens from another planet it wouldn't be too healthy.

So they can make shields but they can't put on gas masks? And again - why did the shields go off when the aliens started to die inside? 'Tis madness.
Thu 07/07/05 at 00:08
Regular
Double f'ing post.
Thu 07/07/05 at 00:08
Regular
It was a solid effort. Don't regret seeing it, wouldn't see it again. Big, loud and Spielberg. I'm starting to prefer his comedies!

Batman Begins and Sin City are still my films of the summer thus far.
Wed 06/07/05 at 20:33
Regular
Just got back from watching it. It was good, but also it felt like it was lacking a bit of something.

Batman Begins remains as my film of the summer so far.
Wed 06/07/05 at 19:36
Regular
They could call it:

Generic Invasion Movie 2005!
Wed 06/07/05 at 18:51
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hahahahaha, yeah, they should have torn up the book entirely and just made it a massive explosion fest where the humans CAN actually fight back.
Wed 06/07/05 at 18:38
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Fígó wrote:
> Saw this today and whilst it was excellant for most of the time, I
> couldn't help but feel disappointed by the abrupt ending.
>
> Can someone explain to me exactly why the Tripods become weak and
> vunerable? I understand how the birds were the ones who carried
> disease (from human blood right?) to the Tripods which consequently
> saw them fall but was this through having it sprayed on them by the
> Tripods?

Hmmm, the only thing that the birds symbolised in my mind was that the shield was down, what killed the aliens was their total lack of an immune response against the bacteria and microscopic organisms that we ingest everyday without harm, simply because we have evolved on this planet so have the necessary defences.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.