GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"War Of The Worlds"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/06/05 at 13:19
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
So anyone seeing this when it comes out ? :-) I'm looking forward to it big time ! I was saying ages ago how there should be a remake of this film, and just a couple of days later, I'm looking around film sites and there was news of this one being made !

And just to add to it, the release of the film pretty much lands on my birthday ! The old film is one of my favourites so its cool to have the new one arrive for my birthday. ;-)

I've been watching trailers for it since around Christmas time, but I've managed to avoid seeing this one thats supposedly doing the rounds online that shows the Martian war machines. Don't want to see them in all their glory till I see the film. :-)

Gonna be going on Thursday 30th June seeing as they start showing the film in Basildon a day early. ;-)
Sun 10/07/05 at 08:19
Regular
"Captain to you."
Edgy wrote:
> The PC game Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds gives the most accurate
> picture (animated) of the martians in its now dated cutscenes.

Was it just me or was that game stupidly hard? it's been a long time since i have played it but i remember have a bloody hard time.
Sun 10/07/05 at 07:11
Regular
I realise the shields weren't in the book but were sort of expected in a modern film. However the new idea of the martians coming down in the lightning to machines buried thousands of years maybe even millions of years ago plainly sucked and was totally and utterly stupid. There is absolutely nothing about that idea that works for me.

If the ships were sent thousands of years ago why not have an even easier time of it and invade then when we had no technology at all. Also presumably they are updating their technology over time so why store outdated technology in this way which surely could be improved upon at the time of the invasion? Is there anyone at all that thinks this change to the original story is a good move. People like a good debate but I've not heard of anyone yet who actually thinks this is a good idea. What were they thinking of?
Sat 09/07/05 at 23:36
"possibly impossible"
I still love the old 1953 version. Might buy it now its available again at a decent price...
Sat 09/07/05 at 13:44
Regular
The PC game Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds gives the most accurate picture (animated) of the martians in its now dated cutscenes.

Jeff Wayne should have directed a War of the Worlds movie...
Fri 08/07/05 at 21:02
Regular
mikelar wrote:

> And I'm not sure if the birds transmitted the disease, I think they
> were supposed to symbolise that there was something wrong with the
> tripod because a few shots eariler, you see some birds eating the
> dead/dying plants. I think they actually catch the disease from the
> human blood you see the tripods 'sucking'.

I think he was shouting 'look at the birds' to let the army guy know that as the birds were perched on the tripod the force shield around them had gone, thus allowing the soldiers to blow them to smithereens.
Fri 08/07/05 at 20:04
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Actually Mojo - Independence Day is a rip off of War of the Worlds.

As for the description of the Martians in the book, they are brown with a body that is basically a large head. They don't have a seperate head, more like a body with a face. The 1953 film will give you a general idea although it still misses some of the details.
Fri 08/07/05 at 18:40
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Chr1s wrote:
> The design of the aliens was lazy I thought. It just appeared to be a
> blend of the aliens from Independence Day and Pitch Black.

Dirivetive, yes, but I liked the way they were tripodal creatures like the war machines. Also, they weren't grotesque, just weird. Like we would appear to them. The unstoppable (until the end) machines are the focal point of the ehole thing. To have creatures more frightning than the machine just wouldn't have worked. Whatever.
Fri 08/07/05 at 18:20
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Savatt78 wrote:
> As far as the Martians appearance goes, I didn't find them all that
> scary. Going by the description of them in the book, the 1953 film
> shows a more accurate appearance. The latest film really just takes
> ideas from both the book and the old film, then adds in some of its
> own BS (which has essentially dragged it down rather than helped).

The design of the aliens was lazy I thought. It just appeared to be a blend of the aliens from Independence Day and Pitch Black.

I've never read the book so I don't know what they should look like, but I felt that Spielberg really could have done something a bit different rather than the generic long fingered, Darth Vader's helmet shaped head approach that he took.
Fri 08/07/05 at 16:15
Regular
"That's right!"
As soon as I saw shields, I just thought "Independence Day" - been done before.

Some great land/air/sea battles with modern weapons against tripods and alien floaty things would've been great, with their sheer numbers and overpowering weaponary being what sways it for them every time.

Hell, Mars Attacks had more interesting action scenes.
Fri 08/07/05 at 06:59
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Fishtobeking wrote:
> I don't understand the end fully as a number of things could have
> killed them, my first guess was something in the atoms but others say
> its blood, water etc.

Jeus christ, it's pretty clearly spelled out to you in the narrative voiceover at the end.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.