GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tomorrow afternoon I leave for Amsterdam"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/06/05 at 21:08
Regular
For 4 days. Had so many opportunities to go but had to turn them down, mainly due to being financially embarrassed or having unavoidable student exams. Myself and 4 other decent people are jumping on a plane at 3pm tomorrow.

Needless to say I'm very much looking forward to it, I'm not above most of the sordid activities you envision and am sure to spend a fortune. Got a nice 5 bedroom apartment with all mod cons, for those nights where our third eyes are 'squee-geed' to a flawless shine. Even a nice Jacuzzi is included which I hope to claim as my own.

Is this post to gloat? Most likely. I can turn it into a question though - who here has been (without their parents, girlfriends or pets), and which bars/cafes/miscellaneous locations do you most highly recommend? Omit no detail, however depraved.

Time to have a bath, then pack before a couple of frosty ones.
Sun 12/06/05 at 21:28
Regular
It's embarrassing that our education system gives only lip service to other languages, when most mainland europeans learn english as a second language from an early age.
Sun 12/06/05 at 21:26
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yeah, I felt such a savage being abroad and not speaking the languages - whereas most of them could speak English to a degree.
We're an insular little country who still trades on the notion of being once great.

The French call us "Island Monkeys" and I'm inclined to agree.
Sun 12/06/05 at 21:25
Regular
"Excommunicated"
What is great about going abroad is that if you even try the basic attempty they love you for it.

Mainly because they're used to people shouting: CHICHAN NOOGATS EN CHEEPS
Sun 12/06/05 at 21:24
Regular
Goatboy wrote:

> Barcelona is my favourite city, I'd quite happily live there if I
> spoke Spanish.
> In fact, I think I'll take one of those "Learn Spanish in a
> week" things and do just that.

Nearly ordered one of those full courses as recently as a month ago. I could slam in the CD while I'm out on my travels and make use of my 'spare' time whilst commuting. The language barrier isn't a major issue in Amsterdam, but during my travels around Mallorca a couple of years ago, I found it to be a real disability not being able to speak even basic Spanish/Mallorcan.

Spending time in any place abroad, certainly somewhere as cosmopolitan and openly multi-cultured such as Amsterdam, makes the UK seem like a paranoid overpriced cess pit in many ways, yes.

Having said that, I've spent time in Newquay in the past and got the same laid back multi-cultured feeling, all be it in a far more diluted form. I think I'm reaching a stage where I feel ready and enthusiastic to do some real travelling. I'm reading an excellent guide book, called 'Vagabonding' by Rolf Potts. It helps you to shake off some of that stigma and overwhelming feeling about leaving to explore the world.
Sun 12/06/05 at 21:22
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I like the idea of speaking lots of languages but usually fail.

I know decent German/French and some Spanish/Greek

I WIN
Sun 12/06/05 at 20:45
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Si
Sun 12/06/05 at 20:44
Regular
"Twenty quid."
"Porqué usted hace para arriba historias sobre ser enviado a la prisión y el ser hecho para el delito de incendiar?"

Bored.
Sun 12/06/05 at 20:31
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I'll point at him and shout (in Spanish) "Why you make up stories about being sent to prison and being done for arson?", and he'll clutch his Nintardo to his chest and cry like a girl.
Sun 12/06/05 at 20:27
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Maybe you'll see Dringo on the run. Whatever you do, don't let him light your cigarette.
Sun 12/06/05 at 20:25
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
The more countries you visit, the more you realise what an absolute cesspit England is.
Barcelona is my favourite city, I'd quite happily live there if I spoke Spanish.
In fact, I think I'll take one of those "Learn Spanish in a week" things and do just that.

God bless the EU.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.