GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Some good news"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 05/06/05 at 01:14
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
[URL]http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=36071&subsectionid=1587[/URL]

"Harrison then confirmed that past-gen, Nintendo-created titles will indeed be downloadable for free."

Well, this is a minor bonus. The thing is, though, it's only talking about Nintendo-created titles. Which could potentially narrow the list of titles available down to about 20. Meh.

Also, the fact that this is probably the best Revolution news so far is also a little concerning...
Wed 15/06/05 at 13:29
Regular
I doubt we'll be looking at more than a few quid.

They can afford to sell NES CLassics for £15

Mind that teh shops take a cut, then there's packaging, advertising (though very little), prodjuction costs and then the cost of the cartdridges.

They'll be like £2 or something.
Wed 15/06/05 at 09:37
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
That's pretty much the way I work. Doubt I'll ever download anything from N64 'cause I have almost all the games I want for it anyway.
Tue 14/06/05 at 23:03
"period drama"
I'd say anything pre-PSX / N64 era is fair download fodder.
Tue 14/06/05 at 22:41
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
NES / SNES era games...? Usually were £40 a pop if memory serves...?

Yes, the price has gone down, but only because the cost of manufacturing has gone down as well. The point is there are no development costs, so we should be seeing very low prices (yes, like the NES classic titles, fair play to Nintendo for having some quite reasonable prices there), however we aren't for a lot of re-releases...
Tue 14/06/05 at 21:51
Regular
How much were the games when they were originally released?
Tue 14/06/05 at 12:54
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Edgy wrote:
> And maybe Nintendo are using a
> bit of exploitation here, but again, that's business.

So you're admitting that Nintendo are exploiting it's fanbase by charging full prices for 10 year old games? So that's the definition of being ripped off! Maybe you think it's too strong a word, but most people would tend to agree, and it fits the definition. It's a pointless argument but
Tue 14/06/05 at 11:10
Regular
Don't get me wrong, I do agree that £30 per SNES game on the GBA was a bit steep. £20 or maybe even £15 like the NES classics and without the addition of Mario's voice (which just didn't feel right in the old games) would have been better.

I just don't see it so much as ripping people off, especially when you consider how much the games were originally released at.
Tue 14/06/05 at 11:00
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Meh, if an industry 'rips off', 'exploits', whatever label you want to give it, their customer base then they can expect that customer base to do the same back to them. Look at the music industry. For years the recording industry has charged extortionate prices for stuff, and now people have found they can get free music and many have no qualms doing that. The gaming example is different but has similarities. Obviously it does cost a hell of a lot to produce a working, playable (and good) game. But if people feel ripped off (whether by brand new games or re-releases) then they're going to look for an alternative, perhaps pirated games, perhaps ROMs, perhaps second hand games.

Basically, 'theft' (whether digital or 'real') in some cases is obviously people just being greedy in that they want things they can't have. In other cases (and generally when it is being done on such a large scale as in the music industry) it is a genuine expression of consumer dissatisfaction. In the case of re-released games, it may be (in some cases) the expression of being willing to pay for re-released games, but not being willing to pay the same price as brand new games.
Tue 14/06/05 at 10:45
Regular
gerrid wrote:

> If Nintendo released all the original N64 games for £40 a time,
> wouldn't you feel cheated, that you had to pay such high fees to play
> these games that you've already paid for once?

If you've already paid for them once then you already have them for the Nintendo 64. If you traded them in/sold them, that's your fault.

You're forced to pay
> the money if you want to buy the game,

That's generally how videogame businesses work.

and Nintendo are charging what
> would seem to be rip-off or extortionate prices, in many people's
> eyes.

The point is, you don't have to buy them. This method of not paying full price has finally worked as far as retailers go. With people choosing to pay less, retailers are now stocking games up to £10 less than their R.R.P., sometimes even less, because enough people made the choice not to pay full price. If you're inpatient, then yeah, you may have to pay more. And maybe Nintendo are using a bit of exploitation here, but again, that's business.
Tue 14/06/05 at 00:10
Regular
"bot"
[URL]http://lorl.co.uk/comics/edgymark/1/1.jpg[/URL]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.