GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"WHOA.... Resident Evil 4 is coming for PS2 !"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Resident Evil 4'.
Mon 01/11/04 at 18:57
Regular
"..."
[URL]http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/31/news_6111911.html[/URL]
Sun 14/11/04 at 00:54
Regular
Eh?

The whole design is fundamentally flawed! Yes, they are just tacked on! What was the controller designed for? The PS1. Sony didn't bother to change it because, as you say, it would've been impractical for a backwardly compatible console, and so 3D games suffer.

It's not a matter of taste - it's a matter of quality. The pad was not designed with 3D gaming in mind and is therefore bettered by the GC and Xbox pads. Unless the PS3 is backwards compatible, they will change the controller design.
Sat 13/11/04 at 22:56
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
"Just tacked on"? What, with some gaffa tape? I think there's slightly more design going on than that. Yes, the DualShock2 does resemble the original PS controller with added analogue sticks - but it has to, as the machine is by definition a sequel to the original.

Just because the analogue sticks are in a different place on the pad doesn't make them less valid as a control method. Maybe you prefer them slightly higher, there's no accounting for taste, but they're no worse than the GC's control stick.
Sat 13/11/04 at 22:02
Regular
Blank wrote:
> Why not? You can say "It just won't be as good" all you
> like, but I can't see why.

If you design a game specifically for the architecture of one console, and then simply port it onto another - which do you think will be the better version?

> Not quite - the Dual Shock 2 has analogue sticks, you seem to forget,
> able to detect 256 degrees of pressure. And don't forget, the
> Resident Evil series was designed for the PS controller.

I'm well aware that the PS2 controller has analogue sticks, but they're just tacked on. It's a 2D design.

And this game is played from a different perspective, so comparisions with the PS2 controller for the rest of the series are somewhat void.
Sat 13/11/04 at 21:59
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
E.g.?
Sat 13/11/04 at 20:36
Regular
"Bicycle"
Meh, who cares. The Resi sequels has always been a let down.
Sat 13/11/04 at 20:26
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Mav wrote:
> Besides - it's designed specifically for the GameCube and therefore,
> as a port, the PS2 version will suffer. Also bear in mind that it's
> in full 3D now - with that level of graphical finesse, the GameCube
> itself is pushed. The PS2 just won't run it as well.

Why not? You can say "It just won't be as good" all you like, but I can't see why.

> And control issues are obvious. It will be designed for the GameCube
> controller specifically and, as I say, is in 3D - a concept the PS2
> controller has difficulty handling given that it's primarily designed
> around a D-pad; an instrument of two directional gaming.

Not quite - the Dual Shock 2 has analogue sticks, you seem to forget, able to detect 256 degrees of pressure. And don't forget, the Resident Evil series was designed for the PS controller.
Sat 13/11/04 at 20:17
Regular
They won't tweak the game. At least not substantially. Many of Production Studio 4 will leave Capcom - Mikami himself said he'd have "nothing to do with the PS2 version".

Besides - it's designed specifically for the GameCube and therefore, as a port, the PS2 version will suffer. Also bear in mind that it's in full 3D now - with that level of graphical finesse, the GameCube itself is pushed. The PS2 just won't run it as well.

And control issues are obvious. It will be designed for the GameCube controller specifically and, as I say, is in 3D - a concept the PS2 controller has difficulty handling given that it's primarily designed around a D-pad; an instrument of two directional gaming.
Sat 13/11/04 at 20:10
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Why will the controls and visuals be far superior? I've seen the RE4 videos - the PS2 is easily capable of that standard of graphics, and the control system will be exactly the same. Plus they'll have time to tweak the game, and they may yet add extras as they did for CV:X.
Sat 13/11/04 at 18:01
Regular
Why not just keep your Cube?

You'll get Resi 4 a year earlier, the control system and visuals will be far superior and there's plenty of other reasons to own the GameCube, e.g. The Legend of Zelda, Metroid Prime 2, etc.
Fri 12/11/04 at 22:58
"High polygon count"
Dringo wrote:
> Let Wookiee waste his time on his old PS2 if he wishes.

At least it's worth wasting time on! ;-p

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.