GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"WHOA.... Resident Evil 4 is coming for PS2 !"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Resident Evil 4'.
Mon 01/11/04 at 18:57
Regular
"..."
[URL]http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/31/news_6111911.html[/URL]
Sun 14/11/04 at 20:53
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
homosh wrote:
> I thought you prefered RPG's, where the PS2 controller proves it's
> superiority.

I do prefer RPG's but i do like other genre's of games
Sun 14/11/04 at 16:22
Regular
"Bow to me!"
Well I think the PS2 analogue sticks where an after thought and are hard to use for all games. But I never use them anyway, the D-pad on the PS2 is perfectly compatable with 3D games anyway. I much prefer the GC controls though but cant see this factor being damaging for Resi on PS2. The main downgrading factors from GC to PS2 for Resi, will be that the graphics will be worse than what they were meant to be, and the loading times when you move into a new area will be an absolute pain with a game that size, compared to the faster loading times of the GC.
Sun 14/11/04 at 15:33
Regular
"..."
lalakersrule wrote:
> Still nothing beats a mouse and keyboard as long as we're talking FPS
> games :-D
I thought you prefered RPG's, where the PS2 controller proves it's superiority.
Sun 14/11/04 at 13:22
Regular
All we're doing is going round in circles; we can't see each other's logic.

Never mind, eh.
Sun 14/11/04 at 13:13
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Still nothing beats a mouse and keyboard as long as we're talking FPS games :-D
Sun 14/11/04 at 13:01
Regular
"Bicycle"
Aye.

But DC controller was bestest.
Sun 14/11/04 at 12:46
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Personally i love the PS2 pad design. It sits in my hands comfortably, everything is easily accessible without me having to have double jointed fingers and i'm usually not aware i'm holding it in my hands when i get into a game. Totally different from when i use a xbox pad when i'm playing against my friends. Look up awkward in the dictionary and there'll be a picture of that pad in there.

Not used a gamecube controller so can't comment on that
Sun 14/11/04 at 11:38
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Mav wrote:
> Essentially, with fixed backdrops, the Resident Evil games prior to 4
> played like 2D games.

No, they didn't, they were 3D. You just couldn't interact with the backgrounds. If you want an example of a 2D game, look at the old Street Fighters. That is 2D. Resident Evil has always been 3D.

> But bear in mind the original argument here - which control scheme
> will be better? Whereas Sony have, as you say, put 3D control sticks
> wherever they will fit, the GameCube pad has been designed
> specifically to incorporate analogue sticks as its primary control
> feature.

You're completely missing the point - they put them onto the same pad, yes, and where they will fit, granted. But that's purely an aesthetics thing. It doesn't make the sticks less responsive, more difficult to use etc etc etc. It's purely a matter of preference whether you like the GC pad placing or the dual shock placing. Really, it makes no odds - the DS2 analogue sticks are hardly out of the way, it's just a slightly different thumb angle.

> Thus, games such as platformers or third-person shooters are
> naturally more comfortable on such a controller.

I don't understand the logic at all. So, if my thumb is angled at 10 degrees, it's good for Resident Evil, but angled at 40 it isn't?
Sun 14/11/04 at 11:06
Regular
There's no need to accuse me of being a fanboy. I own a PS2, I enjoy playing on my PS2, and I will defend the PS2 to unnecessary criticisms. But the dualshock 2 is simply outdated.

Essentially, with fixed backdrops, the Resident Evil games prior to 4 played like 2D games. Yes, you can play 3D games on a PS2 controller. You can get used to the analogue sticks, as seventy million have done.

But bear in mind the original argument here - which control scheme will be better? Whereas Sony have, as you say, put 3D control sticks wherever they will fit, the GameCube pad has been designed specifically to incorporate analogue sticks as its primary control feature.

Thus, games such as platformers or third-person shooters are naturally more comfortable on such a controller.
Sun 14/11/04 at 01:23
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
No no no - the LOOK of the pad is the same. What I'm saying is, the layout of the pad you would expect to remain the same for what is essentially a sequel console. The pad, however, was worked on to create the dual shock 2. They're not tacked on at all in terms of operation, although they look as if they are. The analogue sticks were upgraded from the PS1 controller - as I said, they can now differentiate between 256 different degrees of pressure.

Obviously it looks as if they've taken the old pad and added two sticks wherever they would fit, because that's basically what they have done; but that doesn't by any stretch of the imagination mean that you can't use the analogue sticks to control a game in 3D. The fact is, there are still two perfectly good analogue sticks on the control pad, that you can use to easily control 3D games. If you don't believe me, play some 3D PS2 games that use the sticks, like Onimusha 3.

This wouldn't be a big issue even if the PS2 had no analogue sticks at all, yet for some reason Nintendo fans try and use anything they can to lever themselves up above everyone else.

EDIT: Oh, and you're forgetting that the rest of the RE series has been 3D anyway. 2D backdrops, but still a 3D game (bar Code Veronica, that was totally 3D and the PS2 coped perfectly well).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.