GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GBA to continue"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/11/04 at 22:10
Regular
Nintendo confirm a strong line up in America and Europe for the GBA in 2005.

In an attempt to quash the idea that the DS is to replace the GBA Nintendo have recently reminded gamers of several games due out in both America and Europe for the GBA.

Nintendo point out that a new NES classic series is set to hit American shores around March next year whilst European gamers are to get the second and third set at TBC dates next year.

Nintendo also paraded the new Harvest Moon, Banjo Pilot, Worms 3, Megaman Battle network 4, Tales of Phantasia and Wizards amongst the big third party releases along with Wario Ware 2, DK King of the Swing, Pokemon Emerald and Mario Party Advance amongst the first party line up.

Not amazing but a nice little line up of GBA games I might be picking up to play on my DS next year.
Sat 06/11/04 at 15:56
"The Will of D."
If anybody has any doubts about how good Tales of Phantasia is going to be don't worry, i've alread been playing it on my snes emulator and it's brilliant, not as big as Symphonia but just as good. there are some features of this game that Symphonia used and a lot of it's mythology was used as well, but not all though. Would you beleive that in Phantasia that world's 2 moons have the same name as the planets in Symphonia :P
Also on thing that doesn't change in either games are the Elves, they still live in the same place with the same forests surrounding them, and the same summon spirit within them. Other than that it is completely different.
Sat 06/11/04 at 13:24
Regular
As far as games go, they shouldn't be about the looks so long as the looks don't ruin the experience.

Look at the original Pac Man - by far one of the most addictive of the NES Classics range - probably my most played out of the lot.

It's one of the oldest games ever and it's still great fun!
Sat 06/11/04 at 13:19
Regular
Still way ahead of the N64's.

Some PS2 games looks fantastic though.
I can't imagine PES4 looking any better.

But is slightly better looks worth the fact she'll be out of energy after just 4 hours play?
Sat 06/11/04 at 12:54
Regular
Wyn wrote:
and yes, yes, PS2 graphics are shi.....

Agreed with that - GTA San Andreas for example looks really poor.

A bit of camera movement makes some gaps in scenery appear and the jagged lines are disgusting. That I'd've expected from the N64, not Playstation 2.
Sat 06/11/04 at 11:23
Regular
""
Dringo wrote:
> Not a kiddie thing exactly.... just doesn't appeal to the
> "cool" casual gamer.

What I meant by that is well, I'd buy any console nintendo release, but there are those fickle console players, who go by what they see.... and yes, yes, PS2 graphics are shi.....
Sat 06/11/04 at 02:24
Regular
If Nintendo could make a fully animated Pokémon world, where all the Pokémon had Pikmin style intelligence and Windwaker quality animation in an OOT quality world, crammed with Pokémon imagery...

This was the Pokémon game I'd've bought a GBA for (except in 2D).
You'd walk around and see the Pokémon, rather than have random battles with them. And you wouldn't have to wait until a battle started to call out your Pokémon. You could bring them out at will to walk with you, or you could order them to use abilities on anything, to test them out or train them.

With good AI, animation and destructable scenery, the battles could be VERY impressive. Completely dynamic, rather than two gormless dummys, sitting there while they wait for each other to deliver imaginary attacks.

I loved the Gameboy RPG's but the Stadium games were the most unimaginative, lazy, cash in's I have ever witnessed from Nintendo.
Such a shame. :-(
Fri 05/11/04 at 22:42
Regular
Sarcasm enabled wrote:
> I don't know whether they should make a new console. I don't myself
> mind about graphics, but a lot of people do, and they already say
> gamecube graphics are crap.

People don't say the 'Cube's graphics are crap. Not X-box standard but far superior to the PS2.

> I spose you all know about Nintendo conceding in the graphics race,
> they think "gameplay" would suffer if they spent time on
> advancing graphics.

It isn't that. Look how hard the PSP is being pushed to perform those kind of graphics. Remember the DS has 2 screens, imagine the strain on abttery.

> I think they'll bomb.... just as well handhelds are more of a kiddie
> thing.

Not a kiddie thing exactly.... just doesn't appeal to the "cool" casual gamer.
Fri 05/11/04 at 12:30
Regular
I certainly don't think Pokémon's popularity is falling. Sales of the latest batch of Game Boy Advance Pokémon games hardly show that.
Fri 05/11/04 at 00:04
Regular
""
Damn our lack of technological advances in times gone by!
Thu 04/11/04 at 23:58
Regular
"Bow to me!"
GC graphics certainly arent crap. They are on par, if now better, with XB graphics in my oppinion. I think graphics now, are as good as they need to be. All that the GC is lacking is quantity of games, but quality wise they are winning. As for Pokemon, I think a 3D console game would have been a super smash a few years ago when Pokemon was at it peak in popularity. But now I think Pokemon's popularity is fading. Having said that I can almost guarentee to see a 3D Pokemon on sale within a couple years. A Pokemon game a few years ago would have been great.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.