GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Step-down converters for the DS"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/11/04 at 13:23
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Hi all, need help.

My good friend tphi recomended my our local electrical bits-&-bobs shop for a step-up or step-down converter as im pre-ordering a DS but have nothing for their lame 2-pin plugs.

The problem is the shop is out and wont have them until the end of next month! Not being really technically minded I'm not sure what the voltage is with those dodgy American plugs.

I will defiantly need one... obviously. but I dont want my house to be burnt down (or my DS to blow up). So will someone explain or give me a link to a website so I can get hold of one.

Im guessing a shaving adaptor will not work :P

Any help will be nice. cheers.
Fri 05/11/04 at 14:38
Regular
Yeah that's the best option really. But if you don't have one and want to use the charger supplied, you'll need a stepdown.

Although I'm sure that if it's an AC charger, you'll get away with a simple adaptor. Not sure on that though.
Fri 05/11/04 at 14:40
Regular
"hit the road jack"
gamecollector wrote:

> all you need is a standard GBA SP charger, this can be bought from
> most games shop for around £7
>
> i am going to use my current pal sp charger :)
>
> hope that helps

Yes, yes it does! cheers! Sure it works?
Fri 05/11/04 at 14:42
Regular
"PRO EVO MASTER"
yeh im 90% sure thats what im gonna use
Fri 05/11/04 at 14:44
Regular
"thursdayton!"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> NEVER skimp on the step down converter, even for a
> charger I have read some pretty nasty stories of people who bought
> cheap ones. Wouldn't make a massive difference for something like a
> charger but I would go for a heavy duty one regardless.

For once Alastair I agree with you. Goblin Direct sent me a really, really bad one when I imported a Cube and the whole thing overheated rather spectacularly, melting the plastic casing and causing a lot of black smoke in my living room :D
Fri 05/11/04 at 19:08
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I had the same as Tphi... GDirect sent me a stepdown for my Old US Cube, and it was broken when I received it.

Needless to say, it smelt of burning from Day 1, so I really wouldn't advise on a cheap one. Luckily I have a GBASP adaptor, so I should be fine.
Fri 05/11/04 at 21:26
Regular
"hit the road jack"
So our own English SP chargers WILL work? Must say im very pleased although I never actually knew this. Have many places said this will work or are we judging by the fact that it's GBA compatible?
Fri 05/11/04 at 21:30
"The Will of D."
Would the GBA SP charger work with a Japanese/American/English DS?
Fri 05/11/04 at 21:39
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Apparently so but iv'e not heard anything.
Sat 06/11/04 at 00:02
Regular
Purely as a guess, I would say a UK SP charger would work.

After all, aren't the handhelds in the UK identical (except sometimes the colour design) to the ones in the rest of the world?
Sat 06/11/04 at 01:00
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Casually reading peoples posts on cube-europe when I come across someone who is sure the SP charger WILL NOT charge the DS. Only the other way round. And it's also in NGC apparently.

[URL] http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=7156 [/URL]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.