GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Step-down converters for the DS"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/11/04 at 13:23
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Hi all, need help.

My good friend tphi recomended my our local electrical bits-&-bobs shop for a step-up or step-down converter as im pre-ordering a DS but have nothing for their lame 2-pin plugs.

The problem is the shop is out and wont have them until the end of next month! Not being really technically minded I'm not sure what the voltage is with those dodgy American plugs.

I will defiantly need one... obviously. but I dont want my house to be burnt down (or my DS to blow up). So will someone explain or give me a link to a website so I can get hold of one.

Im guessing a shaving adaptor will not work :P

Any help will be nice. cheers.
Fri 05/11/04 at 13:23
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Hi all, need help.

My good friend tphi recomended my our local electrical bits-&-bobs shop for a step-up or step-down converter as im pre-ordering a DS but have nothing for their lame 2-pin plugs.

The problem is the shop is out and wont have them until the end of next month! Not being really technically minded I'm not sure what the voltage is with those dodgy American plugs.

I will defiantly need one... obviously. but I dont want my house to be burnt down (or my DS to blow up). So will someone explain or give me a link to a website so I can get hold of one.

Im guessing a shaving adaptor will not work :P

Any help will be nice. cheers.
Fri 05/11/04 at 13:38
Regular
Have you got a Maplin store nearby?

UK voltage is 240v or something like that, US is 110v, so you'll damage the DS if you just use an adaptor.

Failing that, try eBay - they had loads available when I was in the market, I got mine from Maplin's though.
Fri 05/11/04 at 13:42
Regular
"hit the road jack"
It was Maplins I tried :S
Fri 05/11/04 at 13:45
Regular
They sold out? Oh well, it's not like you need one right now though, is it? The DS ain't out yet!
Fri 05/11/04 at 13:47
Regular
"hit the road jack"
True, but they said they would have some in at the end of next month. So if I have to look on the web, best start now.
Fri 05/11/04 at 13:48
Regular
Lik-Sang Europe. NEVER skimp on the step down converter, even for a charger I have read some pretty nasty stories of people who bought cheap ones. Wouldn't make a massive difference for something like a charger but I would go for a heavy duty one regardless.
Fri 05/11/04 at 13:53
Regular
Damn, completely forgot about having to get oen of these.

:-/
Fri 05/11/04 at 13:54
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Heres what ive found..

[URL] http://www.lik-sang.com/search.php?query=stepdown [/URL]
Fri 05/11/04 at 14:03
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Errrm..

20watt
50watt
90watt
150watt

Sorry, I know im totally useless :(
Fri 05/11/04 at 14:26
Regular
"PRO EVO MASTER"
Hello i am also importing a DS from the USA.

all you need is a standard GBA SP charger, this can be bought from most games shop for around £7

i am going to use my current pal sp charger :)

hope that helps

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.