GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Am I the only one..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Halo 2'.
Mon 08/11/04 at 14:38
Regular
...who really isn't that excited about Halo 2?

I've read a couple of reviews, and most of them have left me thinking "Yeah, so what?" I've got it pre-ordered and I'm not going to cancel it.

I'm just left feeling a little underwhelmed, especially as I don't have Live.

Still, hopefully it will live up to my own expectations....
Tue 09/11/04 at 09:35
Regular
Does anyone care about the mapping? You really are a filthy heeb.

Without the Normal Mapping the developers are a lot more res**tricted as wire frame models require a lot more processing power which then causes a performance hit. With Normal Mapping you can make ordinary surfaces look outs**tanding with all the specula highlighting and ability to give surfaces a 3-Dimensional look when really they are completely flat.

Normal Mapping does have a sh*t load of problems that mos**t people over look (more popping and clipping issues in general) but in terms of how good games look at face value, Normal Mapping is the way to go.

So yes I think people do care how good Halo 2 looks.
Tue 09/11/04 at 09:37
Regular
I'd certainly be disappointed if it played like I was looking at Rik Waller's Scrotum.
Tue 09/11/04 at 09:38
Regular
Graphics aren't everything, but they're pretty damn important.
Tue 09/11/04 at 09:48
Regular
They aren't everything but for the same token people do care. The only faults I found with San Andreas were of a technical/graphical nature.
Tue 09/11/04 at 11:12
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Anyway you look at it, it's pretty damn good - regardless of its flaws. Stop your nit picking and get it - hell, there's not much else to get on Xbox at the moment...
Tue 09/11/04 at 11:13
Regular
I'm going to try and get the game.

I haven't played on my Xbox in quite a few months now, because I can't afford any games.

Looks like a trip to eBay is in order!

Or, just go round my mates and have 4 player mayhem.
Tue 09/11/04 at 11:20
Regular
Specular what what-ing?

Jesus, just play the game.
Tue 09/11/04 at 11:21
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Specular effects bumped by normal mapping onto textures. Yeah, and at times, it's glitchy.

Ach, that'll spoil the game for me. I might not bother actually.....
Tue 09/11/04 at 11:34
Regular
Eh?

I didn't complain about Normal Mapping, it is far better than Bump Mapping in terms of how good they can make games look on less powerful hardware. I was just pointing out it does have issues so everything isn't always positive, things don't work like that.

I am sure when Chaos Theory is released everyone will say "the lighting effects are amazing" yet throw in something like specula highlighting which is what is used to make the effects so facking sweet and I am told to just enjoy the game.

I think Halo 2 looks visually excellent , as did Riddick which used exactly the same mapping.

I didn't realise everything had to be simplistic to be understood.
Tue 09/11/04 at 11:37
Regular
"gsybe you!"
No, I wasn't saying you should speak less coding-speak (wteva), it's just that you seem determined to see the bad side of the game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.