GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"hl 2 cd-rom?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Mon 08/11/04 at 20:51
"everyone must die!"
i am and have been for a long time been waiting for half life 2 to come out. i have seen dvd-rom versions of the game but not seen a cd-rom version. As i have only a cd-drive and cd-rewriter i need cd-roms. What will also be included in the different packages with half life 2?
Tue 09/11/04 at 12:58
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Goatboy wrote:
> Any idea how big the download/internet connection thing is gonna be?
> I'm on a 56k and don't fancy having to wait 5hrs for something before
> playing

I downloaded the client (600k) and did the update required via a mobile phone being used as a USB modem (my only option. I've ordered broadband now, after cancelling my mobile contract).

It took half an hour. You should be fine on a 56k.

[edit], oh, and registered Half Life, which I imagine is exactly the same procedure for HL2.
Tue 09/11/04 at 13:30
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Cheers, I was picturing a 70mb file you had to download, which would put me out of the running.

Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 within a week.
Bye bye sunlight!
Tue 09/11/04 at 13:36
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Goatboy wrote:
> Cheers, I was picturing a 70mb file you had to download, which would
> put me out of the running.
>
> Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 within a week.
> Bye bye sunlight!

It expands the client to 24 odd MB when completed. All in all, I'd say the full client download, unpack and update can't be more than 4MB.

It's a bit sad but I'm getting pre HL2 jitters. The wait is nearly over, and by all accounts it's a nearly perfect product. I'm really looking forward to seeing the waves this title makes in the industry.

I'm going to emerge after a marathon session, blinking eyes unused to sunlight, limbs wasted from malnutrition........
Tue 09/11/04 at 13:41
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Half Life 2 this time next week!!! I'm still awaiting a "Half life 2 delayed" post to appear, as I still can't quite believe it's almost here. I'll be getting up early next week to download the final part of the game via Steam, and not only that, I'll also get the chance to play the “Half Life 2 Powered” version of the original game as well.
Tue 09/11/04 at 13:46
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> It's a bit sad but I'm getting pre HL2 jitters. The wait is nearly
> over, and by all accounts it's a nearly perfect product. I'm really
> looking forward to seeing the waves this title makes in the
> industry.
-------

Nowt sad about it.
The 1st was the reason I bought a PC, and the 2nd is going to be just as good.
Looking forward to it immensely, can't get here quick enough.

"Updating Steam Platform"

So hopefully it'll just be registering the key and away I go when it gets released.
Tue 09/11/04 at 13:56
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Um...I'll just wait over here with my Rome: Total War obsession then? Maybe it's just me, but I prefer megalomaniacal world domination to one on one killing. Me and Dubya are very similar like that.
Tue 09/11/04 at 14:09
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
It takes a while to download and update/unpack/run eh?
It better not have those massive patches every other day that the original did, I just want to play Half-Life 2 offline - not some online crap with Germans and ROXXOR!!!!! nerdlingers.

And yes, Light, it is just you.
Tue 09/11/04 at 14:14
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Goatboy wrote:
> It takes a while to download and update/unpack/run eh?
> It better not have those massive patches every other day that the
> original did, I just want to play Half-Life 2 offline - not some
> online crap with Germans and ROXXOR!!!!! nerdlingers.

Aye, bit of a pain. Still, I was paranoid it would be a huge, huge download that would be impossible via 56k (10k on my mobile). Once registered I think it'll be fine for the single player. Cant see any reason to download multiplayer patches / updates. Steam'll run in offline mode.

I'm quite looking forward to gaming online, but it'll be with my mates and brother. I remember quaking a few years back and the pondscum online was irritating as hell.

> And yes, Light, it is just you.

Heh. I thought the chance to play a game set in a 1984 style totalitarian state would be right up lights street.
Tue 09/11/04 at 14:26
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Pc set to auto boot at 7.45am on the 16th...
Coffee machine set to make coffee at 7.55am...
Babysitter booked for 7.55am
Curtains shut, wife ejected and food stockpile in place by 7.58am

After that, I just don't care... I've waited 10 years for the sequal... nothing will interrupt me
Tue 09/11/04 at 14:27
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Light'll like it if he gets to sit in his swivel chair commanding massive armies of minions, stroking his ginger beard-fluff and laughing maniacally.

Me? I'm not averse to huge-scale battles, but I prefer the satisfaction that comes with being personally and solely responsible for the downfall of Evilcorps - sometimes with the help of small-scale teams.
Far Cry was good because I defeated the perils of evil science and bagged the CIA chicky.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.