GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No 50hz mode in Metroid Prime 2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metroid Prime 2: Echoes'.
Mon 08/11/04 at 21:34
Regular
DOn't know if you guys know this but Nintendo have decided not to include a 50hz mode in the PAL release of Prime 2.

So if you have an old TV with no 60hz mode, you're screwed.

Once again Nintendo shows its love for Europe....
Tue 09/11/04 at 18:51
Regular
The step down converter for the console that is.

It goes back to my argument that there is a reason for PAL TV's otherwise there would be no reason not to go NTSC with the consoles which could be packaged with voltage converters.
Tue 09/11/04 at 19:10
Regular
"..."
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Why the hell bother with PAL then? They could just release a voltage
> converter as part of the consoles power unit and scrap it all
> together. It works with the PSTWO and a UK/PAL plug connecting to the
> power unit of an NTSC PSTWO.
They can't do that, because it would destroy the European market. Didn't you notice that although gameboy advance games are multiregion, they still write on it that it is only supposed to be sold in specific areas ? Importing has a negative effect to game developers to a certain level. When the last street fighter game was released in Japan, there was a glitch in it that made it multiregion, so that it worked on both U.S and japanese Xbox consoles. Game retailers complained about it, and capcom withdrawed it from the market and replaced all the glitched copies of the game with region encoded copies. So, eventually it's isn't really about 50 HZ- 60 HZ, though it may have been the reason that started all that.
Tue 09/11/04 at 19:18
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I really don't understand what you're on about Alastair. You're saying they should scrap supporting PAL and only support NTSC as most people have NTSC compatible TVs?

Most people don't have NTSC compatible TVs though - it would alienate half the market.
Tue 09/11/04 at 19:19
Regular
But you wouldn't have to import as the whole market would be NTSC, faster games, no borders, no cut backs, nothing like Burnout 3 where you could only play people with a similar TV refresh rate and all that crap.

Seeing as the majority are so c*ck sure that only "3" people have 50hz TV's.
Tue 09/11/04 at 19:20
Regular
"bit of a brain"
No.
The reason games take longer is usually so that they can be translated into German and French for the rest of Europe.
Tue 09/11/04 at 19:32
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> Most people don't have NTSC compatible TVs though - it would alienate
> half the market.

This was my original point before people started saying that everyone has a TV that supports NTSC playback. If Metroid Prime 2 does only support 60hz then Nintendo are burning their own fingers because lots out there don't have the TV's to cope with the 60hz refresh rate.

I was pointing out that if that was the case then there would've been no reason not to package European consoles with step-down converters for the consoles, this would save time for the developers/producers and everyone would get the best for all worlds. NTSC games in general run faster, they don't have borders and you generally get the best version of the game out providing you have a TV to display the picture.

A working example of how 60hz wouldn't work was released in the form of Burnout 3 on LIVE.

It was mearly a counter argument for those who said pretty much everyone has an NTSC capable TV, when in practice they don't.
Tue 09/11/04 at 19:35
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> The reason games take longer is usually so that they can be
> translated into German and French for the rest of Europe.

Content dubbing for certain countries.
Tue 09/11/04 at 22:25
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Stupid move by Nintendo.

Until my old TV died, I didn't have a 60Hz TV. And it was like, 10 years old. I was gutted people.

This isn'y a good thinf - it's a stupid thing.

'but omg dey wont av glitches'

I'd love to hear you say that if you only had a 50Hz tv.
Tue 09/11/04 at 23:01
Regular
It isn't a stupid move by Nintendo, I bet it doesn't make a blind bit of difference on the sales of the game.
Tue 09/11/04 at 23:56
Regular
"Bow to me!"
If people buy it and it doesnt work then they will lose loyalty. Cant see it not working for the majority though so theres no problem.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.