GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No 50hz mode in Metroid Prime 2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metroid Prime 2: Echoes'.
Mon 08/11/04 at 21:34
Regular
DOn't know if you guys know this but Nintendo have decided not to include a 50hz mode in the PAL release of Prime 2.

So if you have an old TV with no 60hz mode, you're screwed.

Once again Nintendo shows its love for Europe....
Mon 08/11/04 at 22:22
Regular
"the burning sky"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Even a sun-dial?

Then it wouldnt be TV would it?
Mon 08/11/04 at 22:22
Regular
Cool. TVs with sun-dials.

Very original.
Mon 08/11/04 at 22:59
Regular
50hz TV's do exist and 60hz is only fully accessible with an RGB scart which is when you get the full benefits from it.

It is a joke though; most kids looking forward to it will most likely play on a portable TV that doesn't have NTSC playback.
Mon 08/11/04 at 23:06
Regular
Erm it's got nothing to do with how "Nintendo loves Europe" personally I think it's a good thing and lets them concentrate on working on the important parts of the game.
Mon 08/11/04 at 23:49
Regular
"thursdayton!"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> It is a joke though; most kids looking forward to it will most likely
> play on a portable TV that doesn't have NTSC playback.

I doubt it. Most kids will have access to a proper TV to play it on.

The whole issue is way out of proportion.. about 3 people in the whole of the UK will notice that their copy won't work.
Tue 09/11/04 at 00:53
Regular
"..."
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> DOn't know if you guys know this but Nintendo have decided not to
> include a 50hz mode in the PAL release of Prime 2.
>
> So if you have an old TV with no 60hz mode, you're screwed.
>
> Once again Nintendo shows its love for Europe....
This is actually great. This is a positive thing from Nintendo to do in Europe. Sony never had the guts to make a 60HZ only game. If Nintendo keep this up, then PAL games may just end up as good as American and Japanese ones, I was always annoyed when I played a 50 HZ only game, knowing that American and Japanese people are getting the polished version, I hope they keep this up.
Tue 09/11/04 at 11:28
Regular
Why the hell bother with PAL then? They could just release a voltage converter as part of the consoles power unit and scrap it all together. It works with the PSTWO and a UK/PAL plug connecting to the power unit of an NTSC PSTWO.

PAL is there for a reason, as are 50hz TV's. 60hz TV's make fack all difference for our TV programmes and only matters for NTSC coded DVD's or games. Nintendo could optimise for 60hz but include a 50hz mode, but no, everything has to be different for Nintendo.

Next step for Nintendo - games with HDTV support only for Europe!

What a set of jokers.
Tue 09/11/04 at 11:28
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Mine runs 60hz all the time.

Woot.
Tue 09/11/04 at 12:08
Regular
"Bow to me!"
I have a 60Hz compatable TV but when I use 60Hz mode it tends to be a more jumpy picture than when using 50Hz mode. Maybe thats just because I tried it on PS2 though.
Tue 09/11/04 at 14:14
Regular
"the burning sky"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> It is a joke though; most kids looking forward to it will most
> likely
> play on a portable TV that doesn't have NTSC playback.

When I imported Animal Crossing, I had a largish but old TV which wouldnt play in 60Hz, so whenever I wanted to play AC I played it on my bro's portable TV. So if most kids do have a portable Tv then it is quite likely it will support NTSC playback...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.