GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Godparents"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/04/05 at 15:26
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
What does being a Godparent involve?

I'm godmother to my niece and when she was christened I had to vow or something that I'll teach her about God, but I haven't so far.

Do you reckon I should take her to church or something? My godparents never took me to church :o( Infact no one knows for sure who my Godparents are.
Thu 21/04/05 at 12:54
Regular
Celestine wrote:
> Then, you'll never have to worry about being
> confronted with the proposition. Yeah?

--

Yep, exactly. I only know a few Christians, but I'm not really close enough with for me to do it. Plus I always get used to get sent out of Religious Studies at school because I objected to being forced to do it, and used to challenge the teacher every time he said God exists. Which was a lot.

So, yeah, they wouldn't ask me. I'll be a good uncle to my sisters kids, but no way I'll religious them. I'll probably tell them what a lot of horsewash it is. Different people, different beliefs.
Thu 21/04/05 at 12:14
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Buy her a bible and be done with it.
>
> I was never christened and you can keep that water away from me thou
> thinly-veiled spawn of Satan!

Hmm..someone grab me my chrism oil right quick..! I'm gonna be Heddy's Godmother today!!! Hehehe.. Who's your mama?? Huh?? Who's your mama!?!

Psh.
Thu 21/04/05 at 12:08
Regular
"8==="
Buy her a bible and be done with it.

I was never christened and you can keep that water away from me thou thinly-veiled spawn of Satan!
Thu 21/04/05 at 12:06
Regular
I look at being Christened/Baptised as a gift. It's not an imposing one. I respect your decision, Kilgore. We all come to that defining moment, I think.

My confirmation when I was 17 years old was so very beautiful, that I cried. Yet, I was still the defiant Catholic school girl..a prankster. And, I can honestly say that my faith did not become as meaningful as it is to me now, until I was about 22 or 23 years old. Then, when I became a parent, it became infinite.

After speaking to my honey this morning, I came to realize the reason behind my mediocre devotion in my youth was because I was always so engulfed in it, whether I wanted to be or not. I have been a Sunday school teacher and although the children I taught were very young, I could see how some of them did not want to be there. Brass tacks - they hated it with a passion.

I believe that sharing a faith is not shoving it down someone's throat and making them swallow. It's about being an example.

Eh..just my opinion. :)

On that note, I want to be The Godmother..yet in The Godfather context? Or at least the sister of The Godfather? Meh..that Talia Shire part about sums it up for me really.. But, I coulda been a contendahh..! Oh wait..different show. Erm, that one too. :P
Thu 21/04/05 at 10:35
"period drama"
That's probably going to be my route:
Don't baptise the kids, but if they want to be when they're older, well, go for it.
Thu 21/04/05 at 08:39
Regular
"Woke up this mornin"
I was both christened and confirmed at a young age. I remember both, as I was christened quite late (aged 4), but now think that if I ever had kids I wouldn't do either.

It seems a pointless thing to do, as you're not doing it for the person on the receiving end, you're doing it for yourself. Now that I'm a free-thinking adult-type person I am a fully commited agnostic, so the fact that I've been christened and confirmed means not a thing to me.

My godparents are nice folks, but they were just people who were good friends of my parents at the time, aren't really any more and so I've not seen now them for many years.
Thu 21/04/05 at 02:07
Regular
Stryke wrote:
> "I'm your godfather"
> "Fine, gimme my Xmas pressie and beat it"

Having too many Godchildren can bite during the holidays, indeed. But, I love all of them anyways. Most of the time they just get money and hugs.

How do you decline being a Godparent?? That's just rude. I suppose you could just make yourself not very Godparent-like and pray you never have people close enough to you that believe in anything remotely of God. Then, you'll never have to worry about being confronted with the proposition. Yeah?
Wed 20/04/05 at 23:58
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Ms NY wrote:
> Craw wrote:
> C'mon... who wouldn't give their right arm to be called 'The
> Godfather'..?
> Apart from chicks, obviously.
>
> But.. I would :'(

I'd give my left, it's pretty useless to me
Wed 20/04/05 at 23:55
Regular
"cachoo"
Craw wrote:
> C'mon... who wouldn't give their right arm to be called 'The
> Godfather'..?
> Apart from chicks, obviously.

But.. I would :'(
Wed 20/04/05 at 23:22
Regular
Let's face it. Most people who've been christened think religion is a lot of balls (including me). It's just parents doing it because their parents did it e.t.c and asking a few best mates/Uncle Norman to turn up.

Stupid ceremony.

"I'm your godfather"
"Fine, gimme my Xmas pressie and beat it"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.