GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Download speed during evenings"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/10/09 at 00:52
Regular
Well People,
its Friday night & right on cue soon after midnight my download speed reduces to between 100 KB/s to 200KB/s.Am i the only one who this happens to? or are there more among us ??
It just that it happens every friday when it comes to the unlimited download time.
No Traffic Shaping ???
No Port Blocking ???

No Speed ???

Brilliant, im off to bed !!
Mon 09/11/09 at 09:17
Staff
We will pass on any customer comments both positive and negative, however my own personal experience (not an official Freeola position!!!) (Stepney Green node) on my own Freeola broadband connection was that my general web browsing experience over the weekend was noticeably improved, obviously this is subjective and experiences may be different on other nodes and other users depending on what they are using the connection for.
Sun 08/11/09 at 18:36
Regular
ok,so today i woke early at 6am,and sure enough my download speed was fantastic as usual,until 8am then it went down to under 1mb,and has stayed at that all day to my frustration,,,,now this is sunday and supposed to be off peak time,,,,so when these trials are over and the service shoulde be best for everyone,do you mean that you have to stay up all night to get a half decent download speed,,,and will they be classing msn messenger as peer to peer next,

and when these trials are over will you be putting the headers about "NO PORT THROTTLING" and "NO PEER TO PEER MONITORING" back on the homepage.,,and why is newsgroups being hit while going through a server like "astraweb"

i will give these trials a couple of weeks longer but i think we all know what the outcome will be dont we,,isp's taking our money and us not being able to use up our allowances,,

i have tended to use my internet in the day more and have gone over my peak time allowance,and i am charged extra for that and i dont mind paying because my kids use the pc in the day,its the only time they can use it.

please please freeola,stay the best and dont throttle youre customers tell "Enta" were not happy
Sat 07/11/09 at 21:46
Staff
miffed wrote:
> yep,,its official the throttling has started,,,and the header
> that sais "no per to peer monitoring" has been removed
> my speeds are now diabolical and its time to change,,,,sorry
> freeola you WAS the best
>
> you can do all the speed tests you want guys but they will show a
> great speed,but its the ports used for peering that are
> throttled,
> even newsgroups are being hit
>
> a freeola rep told me even skype is being considered as a peer to
> peer software,,,,whats the point on paying for a max package when
> you cant even use youre maximum,will freeola pay you back for the
> gigabytes you dont use,,i doubte it.
>
> i am gutted

Regarding Skype, Skype is peer to peer software, as it works by connecting two machines without using a server in the middle whenever possible.

However it should not be affected by the Traffic shaping (in theory at least ) as it is considered voip traffic (which traffic sharing should prioritise).

The traffic shaping is still in its test phase, and hopefully with a few more tweaks will improve the situation for all users.
Sat 07/11/09 at 20:05
Regular
yep,,its official the throttling has started,,,and the header that sais "no per to peer monitoring" has been removed my speeds are now diabolical and its time to change,,,,sorry freeola you WAS the best

you can do all the speed tests you want guys but they will show a great speed,but its the ports used for peering that are throttled,
even newsgroups are being hit

a freeola rep told me even skype is being considered as a peer to peer software,,,,whats the point on paying for a max package when you cant even use youre maximum,will freeola pay you back for the gigabytes you dont use,,i doubte it.

i am gutted
Sun 01/11/09 at 01:04
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
hiya,
after reading your thread i thought i'd check my connection. Its saturday night and right on que my connection speed slows too. While surfing around, web pages were taking up to 30 secs to load if they loaded at all. I slowly made my way the BT's test page via Hmmm's links, when the test page finally loaded i ran the speed test expecting poor results, here's the stats....

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3514 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600 - 7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps.

after the test i returned to freeola's site only to find pages taking up to 30 secs to load, surf around someother sites and they were just as slow, can any of you guys spread some light on why the speed test results don't reflect my surfing speed..??

I'll run the BT test again as soon as BT allow me to.
Sat 31/10/09 at 14:17
"Are you sure?"
Hi AndrewHUK welcome to the forums!
That looks like a decent line you have there :¬)

Hopefully Freeola will be along to give you an official answer, but in the mean time...

It seems you are seeing what lots of others are. This thread Throughput through the floor might be of interest to you.

As you will see, a few weeks back some customers sent statistics to Freeola so that they can hopefully get capacity increased...
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 31/10/09 at 11:05
Regular
Mine has goine right down also, these are my results from the BT speed check:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1589 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7616 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6000 Kbps

Why has to connection slowed down so much?

Andy
Sun 18/10/09 at 11:00
"Are you sure?"
Hi sparkiuk ,
I'm not usually using the internet at that time myself - but yes other's will see a slow down so it's not just you.

The ALT (Anti Loss Tool) will kick in to try to preserve latency at the expense of throughput.

Lots of people use download managers to schedule their downloads over night making use of the unlimited part of their package.

The off-peak time was moved back from 10pm to midnight so that the impact affected less people.

In theory speeds should recover as activity reduces.

NB. This is only my amateur explanation - I'll let Freeola correct me or give you an official reply :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

EDIT: It's worth posting the results from speedtester.bt.com in case it shows anything strange.
Sat 17/10/09 at 00:52
Regular
Well People,
its Friday night & right on cue soon after midnight my download speed reduces to between 100 KB/s to 200KB/s.Am i the only one who this happens to? or are there more among us ??
It just that it happens every friday when it comes to the unlimited download time.
No Traffic Shaping ???
No Port Blocking ???

No Speed ???

Brilliant, im off to bed !!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.