GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Download speed during evenings"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/10/09 at 00:52
Regular
Well People,
its Friday night & right on cue soon after midnight my download speed reduces to between 100 KB/s to 200KB/s.Am i the only one who this happens to? or are there more among us ??
It just that it happens every friday when it comes to the unlimited download time.
No Traffic Shaping ???
No Port Blocking ???

No Speed ???

Brilliant, im off to bed !!
Wed 11/11/09 at 10:54
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I understand how it works and have read all BT's notes cheers. But my point was, it doesn't stop certain accounts being confusing.

I'm not confused by how it's meant to work, just confused by how it seems to be working on some accounts I've witnessed :D(Or at least what some people are saying they are experiencing)

And I think you may have hit the proverbial nail on the head.....
Wed 11/11/09 at 09:59
"Are you sure?"
Warhunt, here's BT's announcement:
"We plan to reduce WBC prices to communications providers from January 2010 with bandwidth charges being dropped by almost 50 per cent and WBC rental costs standardised at the lowest current price, too.

As I mentioned it's only some (WBC) costs - I can only hope that this cost saving will allow the IPSC capacity to be increased!

I'm sure someone in Freeola is up on all of this and can ask the right questions as you're the provider! ;¬P

On the plus side I can see lots of people starting to abandon Enta which will hopefully free up some capacity for the rest of us! But that's not an ideal way to make things work.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 11/11/09 at 09:42
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Have no idea to be honest Hmmm....

What BTw do is a mystery even to ISP's it seems. (Although I should note that I am in no way insulting them ;) )

Not realy sure on your account Hmmm... it's not even relevant for the "suspicions" I mentioned a few replies back. Regardless of contention, you should only really be seeing drops for specific types of internet use.

I have to say the further i wade in the more confusing some account problems seem. All we can do however, which I'm sure you know I am doing, is pass comments along, and wait out the trial.
Wed 11/11/09 at 09:18
"Are you sure?"
FWIW

My node still gets slaughtered as the day goes on :¬(

I took some screenies of 4 speedtests I did throughout the day yesterday using Freeola's own speed tester: My Freeola Speeds

Current IP Profile is 3.5Mb and I got that (less expected overheads) early morning but then as the day gets busy down to 0.73Mb by the afternoon...

I've read BTw are reducing (some) wholesale bandwidth costs at the start of next year. I'm wondering if things will continue to limp along until then rather than people spending any money now to improve the service?
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 11/11/09 at 08:57
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Understand the point miffed but there is no restriction on how much you can download, as we state. And as you have said, common downloads are like lightning.

P2P applications should be only thing effected, which is "primarily" what we are seeing.

My view, and by no means official, is that whilst the changes should improve the general service, they were never going to create bandwidth from nothing. They simply changes the way things were managed to restrict the heavier P2P users rather than general broadband use.

I have to admit we are seeing some strange consequences, but generally a larger amount of users are seeing improved service.

We are, of course, continuing to do what we can .
Tue 10/11/09 at 21:18
Regular
"How Ironic"
Off-topic, but the highest download speed i've ever reached is 500kb/s, and that lasted for a couple of seconds. On average, i'm lucky to get to a 100kb/s.
Tue 10/11/09 at 19:52
Regular
Warhunt wrote:
> Been a few more things come to light yesterday, which I can't
> comment on as of yet because I don't know enough information.
> Once I've tested a few things I will know more.

cheers for that lol

well i can tell you what happened yesterday,,my speed was even louzier,,i was happy with 4.5 to 5.5 Mbps now all i can get is 1.0 to 1.5 Mbps thats from "usenet" but updates from microsoft and sites other than so called peer to peer are like lightening,,,so that just goes to show the extent of bandwidth manegement,and we are not able to use up our bandwidht allowances that we pay highly for,so why offer such high packages when we cant download that much anyway.
Tue 10/11/09 at 08:27
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Been a few more things come to light yesterday, which I can't comment on as of yet because I don't know enough information. Once I've tested a few things I will know more.
Mon 09/11/09 at 17:12
Regular
lol,thanks for the reply dude,,the issue were talking about is not for surfing,,,,the ports being squeezed are not the ones for just browsing web pages lol,,

if that was the case we wouldent subscribe to packages with hefty allowances,,,,,keep up the good fight for us
Mon 09/11/09 at 09:47
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Just as another note here we have passed comments onto Enta, and are currently trying to get them to "tweak" a few things to monitor differently (Skype included).

Where we go from there however .....

Still, believe me when we say we are trying our hardest to improve the service across the board.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.