GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Download speed during evenings"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/10/09 at 00:52
Regular
Well People,
its Friday night & right on cue soon after midnight my download speed reduces to between 100 KB/s to 200KB/s.Am i the only one who this happens to? or are there more among us ??
It just that it happens every friday when it comes to the unlimited download time.
No Traffic Shaping ???
No Port Blocking ???

No Speed ???

Brilliant, im off to bed !!
Mon 16/11/09 at 10:54
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I mentioned a while ago about some "other factors". Spoke to Enta a couple of times about them, and I notice 3 of the 7 customers I'm tracking personally with these issues have seen the "lower than dial-up" speeds improving. So much so that 2 of the customers have just stopped contacting where they are happy with it.

This may not be the same for other users obviously, but it has helped a couple.
Sun 15/11/09 at 18:47
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
> Hi Dragonlance,
> I guess you are on the Birmingham IPSC node?
> As the WBC node is only running at 45%.
>
> Unfortunately the current setup 20 x WBC + 10 x IPSC nodes is
> rather like having 30 different ISPs as there is no across node
> load balancing!

Yes, Hmmm sorry - Birmingham IPSC, now I see - rather like segregation, I suppose:-)
Sun 15/11/09 at 18:02
"Are you sure?"
Hi Dragonlance,
I guess you are on the Birmingham IPSC node?
As the WBC node is only running at 45%.

Unfortunately the current setup 20 x WBC + 10 x IPSC nodes is rather like having 30 different ISPs as there is no across node load balancing!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 15/11/09 at 17:53
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
miffed wrote:
> my ip is ipv4 and my node is birmingham,,,,
>
> although my speedtests are spot on,,the ports for newsgroups is
> still 15kb,,,less than dial and its painfull,,,

Hi miffed and hi to Hmmm. I'm on Birmingham node - 90% at the minute. Speeds have never fluctuated recently - like rocket fuel at the minute, but then again I'm not using news groups or p2p. ALT is still disabled - been like that for over a week:-)
Sun 15/11/09 at 17:41
"Are you sure?"
Hi miffed,,,,,,,

I guess you are on IPSC as the Birmingham WBC node looks quiet?

'ipv4' is the TCP/IP version you are running.

'IP Profile' is the speed profile BT give all non-LLU (Freeola) broadband connections.

The BT link I gave earlier will show you your IP Profile (also known as bRAS profile) - it would be useful if you post the results here.

I've put a IP Profile Table at the bottom of this page. There are also some notes on IP Profiles on the same page.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 15/11/09 at 17:27
Regular
my ip is ipv4 and my node is birmingham,,,,

although my speedtests are spot on,,the ports for newsgroups is still 15kb,,,less than dial and its painfull,,,
Sun 15/11/09 at 15:57
"Are you sure?"
Yep - newsgroups and p2p are hit hard...

What's you current IP Profile and which node are you on?

I'm on Faraday IPSC which seems to work better during the weekend - very busy during office hours.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 15/11/09 at 15:45
Regular
well hmmmmm,,,

the ports used for newsgroups are completely out today,,,downloading at 15kb
Sun 15/11/09 at 11:11
"Are you sure?"
Just in case others are reading about poor speeds and immediately assuming it's all down to the recent issues/changes it's probably worth reminding people a few things :¬)

People should check what their current IP Profile is before jumping to conclusions in case they have had a low sync event.

You need to visit www.speedtester.bt.com to run the test.

I'm not saying there aren't problems(!) when the IPSC/WBC Nodes are busy as I'm seeing them myself.

But as many people are confused about how their ADSL connection works I can see people possibly missing other causes and just assuming they are going slow for the same reasons others are.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 15/11/09 at 10:22
Regular
sorry for posting the link staff,,it was for information only,,rules will be abided,,,,,just goes to show ther is more besides enta

as for 3g boadband,forget it, ide rather 56k dial up wcich is pretty much what ime on now lol

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.