GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half life 2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Sat 13/11/04 at 07:54
Regular
"I'm busy"
It's been dispatched from SR

Yay!!!!!!
Sun 14/11/04 at 11:59
Regular
Whitestripes X wrote:
> I like having a box and a manual and a disc. Feels like I actually own
> something.
>
> And I like having all my DVDs, games and CDs lined up nicely on my
> bookcase so I can see them all.

I totally agree with you about having a manual to read etc but HL2 is not going to be shipped with a manual, there is no manual at all only installation instructions, if you want a manual you have to buy the walkthrough, but hey it all adds to the feeling of complete imersion in the story and not knowing who you are.
Sun 14/11/04 at 12:07
Regular
"Captain to you."
you gotta remember that steam is aimed at people all over the world and alot of places have far better internet than us. within a year there is sposed to be broadband anywhere in the uk.

alot of people have better than dial up, and patches are released for all games it's not so they can release a funked title it's so they can fix problems that arise and normally even things out. beta testings no where near perfect cause you need thousands of people to get most bugs befopre release, but unfortunatly thousands of peopl mean that your bound to give it to \one that will release it on the net and games companies don't want to push their luck.

i'd probably be a bit niffed if i have dial up still. but i am lucky enough to live in a area that has broadband or nothing
Sun 14/11/04 at 14:35
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
nova prospekt wrote:
> I totally agree with you about having a manual to read etc but HL2 is
> not going to be shipped with a manual, there is no manual at all only
> installation instructions, if you want a manual you have to buy the
> walkthrough, but hey it all adds to the feeling of complete imersion
> in the story and not knowing who you are.

I really don't know why people are upset about not getting a manual. What do you need to know? Interface -> Half Life interface. Story -> the whole point of the game. "You are Gordon Freeman", well, yeah, the G-man tells you that at the start.

Damn, if you want a physical copy of the product, right click the game from steam (which I have to admit, is a anti-piracy stroke of genius, t**ts), back it up to dvd and get a cover from halflife2.net.

What's the problem?
Sun 14/11/04 at 21:21
Regular
"A man with a stick"
nova prospekt wrote:
> I totally agree with you about having a manual to read etc but HL2 is
> not going to be shipped with a manual, there is no manual at all only
> installation instructions, if you want a manual you have to buy the
> walkthrough, but hey it all adds to the feeling of complete imersion
> in the story and not knowing who you are.

I'm sure there will be a manual, on the CD. It's not rare for games developers to do away with physical manuals when they can just as easily be put on the CD. It's cheaper too.

Like Pandemonium said though, it's easy to make your own "Box" for the Steam version of HL2. There's already a flood of quite professional looking fan made covers, Valve have also made it easier to back up the game files on disc, and seeing as there's no manual for the retail version, you'll doubtfully miss it for the downloaded version.

Either way, I’m just happy I’ve got the bleedin game, I couldn’t care less whether it came with instructions or a box with pretty pictures, I just want to play it.
Sun 14/11/04 at 22:20
Regular
[URL] http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/562/562922p1.html [/URL]

I found this a while ago and it says no manual, i could be wrong tho...
Sun 14/11/04 at 22:31
Regular
just looked at the countdown timer on the PC games page and it says
i day 1 hr 30 mins to go, but its only 11.30 on sunday. Does that mean the countdown is for midnight mon/tues? when the game isnt activated till 8 am tues. is my clock out, or is it my maths?
Sun 14/11/04 at 22:36
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Your clock is 8 hours out I'm afraid, it's actually 6:35 tommorow morning right now.
Sun 14/11/04 at 23:52
Regular
"Monster kill!"
nova prospekt wrote:
> [URL] http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/562/562922p1.html [/URL]
>
> I found this a while ago and it says no manual, i could be wrong
> tho...

Yup, it comes with no manual :(
whats a game without a manual :(
Mon 15/11/04 at 00:19
Regular
"Captain to you."
The counter on the pc pages i assume is for the retail release as that is the 16th. But the unlock time on steam is 8 am on the 16th as this is midnight for where valve is in the USA as they are GMT -8 so that 8 am here.
Mon 15/11/04 at 11:02
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
kurt wrote:
> nova prospekt wrote:
> [URL] http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/562/562922p1.html [/URL]
>
> I found this a while ago and it says no manual, i could be wrong
> tho...
>
> Yup, it comes with no manual :(
> whats a game without a manual :(

A game that doesn't need a manual? Seriously, what do you want? The game tells the story, there'll more than likely be a simple tutorial for the 3 people who are new to FPSers and I'd rather not read a pathetic excuse for a manual. "this is a machine gun", "this is a headcrab". woo, thanks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.