GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"2mb Broadband"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 01/04/05 at 15:36
Regular
Sitting waiting patiently for my upgrade to happpen, will I see a huge differance? do I need to shutdown and restart my router for it to happen?
Wed 20/04/05 at 10:12
Regular
but how and where do I find that figure to change it?
Tue 19/04/05 at 22:49
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
The RWIN is WAY to low. Mine is 47454

The MTU for your system is 1472. The RWIN should always be a multiple of this MSS number so you should try a RWIN of 47256. This should see a increase of speed for you.

If not try and experiment with different MTU and RWIN combinations MTUs you should try are 1430, 1458, 1472(which is your current one), 1478 and 1500. Then do a RWIN based on that MTU - 40 and then times by a number around 33, keep a figure around 45000-50000.
Tue 19/04/05 at 12:57
Regular
found it all was OK this is what it said

1. Your Tweakable Settings:
Receive Window (RWIN): 8592
Window Scaling: off
Path MTU Discovery: ON
RFC1323 Window Scaling: OFF
RFC1323 Time Stamping: OFF
Selective Acks: ON
MSS requested: 1432
TTL: unknown
TTL remaining: 115

2. Test 146000 byte download
Actual data bytes sent: 146000
Actual data packets: 102
Max packet sent (MTU): 1472
Max packet recd (MTU): 1472
Retransmitted data packets: 0
sacks you sent: 0
pushed data pkts: 26
data transmit time: 2.541 secs
our max idletime: 168.7 ms
transfer rate: 46406 bytes/sec
transfer rate: 371 kbits/sec
This is not a speed test!
transfer efficiency: 100%

Notes and recommendations:
Good data stream (no/few rexmits
Tue 19/04/05 at 12:52
Regular
what is the www. address? just called freeola and Chris reckons that downstream speeds of 1100 are good for a 2MB connection and he says that a downloadspeed of 140kbps is average for 2mb connection?
Tue 19/04/05 at 12:33
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Not too sure what all that is. Go to the DSLreports website and do a tweak test as that will show you what the current values are and you can see whether there enough for 2Mb or whether they need changing.
Tue 19/04/05 at 12:10
Regular
So that makes some sense, my network cards I looked at the properties and I see a thing called "Early TX threashold and it has a value of 38" does that mean anything? Link speed/duplex mode is set at auto sense?
Tue 19/04/05 at 10:28
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
www.dslreports.com and download DrTCP [URL]http://www.dslreports.com/faq/578[/URL]

MTU is the maximum transmission unit, this affects how much data is sent out at once, ADSL can only work at a unit of 1500 or less as other wise the packet needs to be seperated which causes load at the exchange and slows the speed down.

RWIN is how much data is received before the sending source needs a response. If the RWIN is too low then the sending source will have stopped sending data before you can respond. I dont know if you know but every packet of information that is sent to you, you send a small packet that says "yes I got it" so thats why when you download you always upload alittle as well.

So if you have just had broadband then your figures may be too low. Same as if you have been upgraded from 1Mb to 2Mb as the RWIN you had for 1Mb might have been ok but for 2Mb it isnt. MTU really isnt changed much between connection speeds just the RWIN. For 2Mb I have a RWIN of 47,454.

Having a large RWIN will help download faster from places further away. So on my RWIN I can get nearly 240K/s from a site that has a ping of 200ms, so this helps download speeds from West Coast America etc.

With your Router you may have the MTU setting in the settings if not then you would need to change the MTU of the network card. Also any changings you make you need to restart the PC or otherwise the PC is still on the old settings.
Tue 19/04/05 at 09:55
Regular
No and I would not know where to find those either? where would I find them and what do they do?

adrian wrote:
> Have you tweaked the MTU and RWIN for your PC? As that can make a hugh
> difference as too low and you will get dial up speeds etc.
Mon 18/04/05 at 23:16
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Have you tweaked the MTU and RWIN for your PC? As that can make a hugh difference as too low and you will get dial up speeds etc.
Mon 18/04/05 at 13:47
Regular
PPPoA VC-Mux , thats in the encapsulation part.

Nimco wrote:
> Is your router set to use PPPoA or PPPoE?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.