GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Does God exist?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/03/05 at 16:51
Regular
Does God exist? if he did what came before him?
Wed 30/03/05 at 22:18
Regular
"bot"
Memorandum! wrote:
> A balanced argument, I feel.
Wed 30/03/05 at 22:15
Regular
"i own groovy land"
god don't exsist and that is that!!!!!!!
Mon 28/03/05 at 15:33
Regular
"hikers"
I do believe God exists but I can understand how many people find this a difficult concept. However many of Gods teachings; love one another, help the less fortunate etc, must go a long way to make a better world for us all.
Mon 28/03/05 at 04:58
"I love yo... lamp."
Bear in mind that it is around quarter to five as I type this.

Some people say there clearly isn't a god because if there was, then why does he let bad things happen. I doubt whether any of those people have read the bible, because it makes it quite clear that God created the earth and the life on it. Humanity was perfect, made in his image and would have lived forever. Adam and Eve though rebel. They decide they want more power and they don't want to give glory to God. Thus sin, imperfection, death. Before they die however, God effectively says to mankind, "fine on you go, you try ruling yourselves and see if you can do better than living forever in a paradise earth". We are imperfect, thus we fail. The bible also holds out prophecies and promises for the future. But the gist of it is, things are bad because we try to rule ourselves independent of God.

Lets seperate God and religion for a bit. If there is a god, what came before him? Well this is where us mere humans actually struggle to grasp the concept that there was no tangible dimensions before God created them. We can only think of a beginning and an end to things because we live in a 4 dimensional world. God is outside that. Even if you don't believe in God, you still have to come back to similar reasoning, because for a big bang to happen without an intelligent creator behind it requires that there be something there beforehand. Something with lots of energy. Now since Scottish Power weren't around back then, I tend to believe more in a God that created the universe via a big bang than the even more inexplicable huge amount of really fast moving energy.

I may try and organise my thoughts a bit more and post later. Just remember however, that absence of proof is not proof of absence.
Fri 25/03/05 at 17:35
"possibly impossible"
I recommend A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. Fascinating read about past and current scientific knowledge of the world and how life came to be.

It really reminds you that Scientific 'fact' can be easily replaced by a completely different way of thinking as science finds out some new evidence to dispute it.

As to whether God exists. It's not something you can prove or disprove, so no-one can completely say.
Thu 24/03/05 at 21:13
Regular
Jormungandr wrote:
> Haven't really read this topic much, so I'll just state that I believe
> in God for several reasons:
>
> -The beginning of the world (How could it have happened by chance?)

The scientific "Theory" is that a star about 10X the size of our sun, went SuperNova and blew up this left what they call "dense metals" i think and they formed dont know how and made our Solar system. Not exactely 100% chance, the "chance" part came from life begining on Earth.
Thu 24/03/05 at 20:53
Regular
Does God exist? - you can't ever really know - it's the biggest myestery since the existence of man.

I think that the 'Creation theory' is tosh - but there could be some being made of energy - created in a 'Big bang' explosion.

There is no way there can be a loving God if he lets so many monstrosities happen - more likely people made up thousands of years ago to add purpose to their lives, a gullible person believed them and...voila! the Church was born

God can never do anything as:

Can God create a sandwich so big he can't eat it ?

if the answer is yes then,

He can't eat every type of sandwich - meaning he can't do everything

Fin
Thu 24/03/05 at 20:53
Regular
"A Paladin with a PH"
Haven't really read this topic much, so I'll just state that I believe in God for several reasons:

-The beginning of the world (How could it have happened by chance?)
-The fact that we remained here, despite all logical probability
-I want to think that there's something that can see my good deeds.
-The world appears to be ending, proving that he's not stupid and knows when to quit.

Please abuse me for pointlessly repeating everyone else's arguments.
Thu 24/03/05 at 18:47
"period drama"
Just read all the stuff about the true origins of Christianity.
I'd given up long before I read it, but it made me laugh like anything.

Basically: a farce, as you said.
In today's age, I think that's the only logical conclusion that can be reached.
Thu 24/03/05 at 18:44
Regular
I don't know, at times I believe there must be a God, as there's no other way to explain many things which no-one understands (What was before the Big Bang (Ahahaha, I just realised how entirely unscientific that name is), for example), but at the same time, there are so many things which contradict his existance, for example, if God created the world, and his son came down to preach and stuff, then are the billions of people who are Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Sikhs and Buddhists all wrong?

What makes Christianity so sepcail that it must be the correct religion? Why did God punish people in the old Testament, but then, one day start being nice to everyone.

If he sent Adam and Eve out of Eden for eating teh forbidden fruit, then why does he let people go to Heaven when they die? Surely their still sinning? Or, of we've repented that sin, then why won't he let us back into the garden?

Why does he let so many people die, or suffer abuse from otehrs for a variety of reasons, and why doesn't he help the people who most need help, rather than those who think they do (No offence Ginge, but why would God choose to help you get a job when millions of people in third-world countries are dying and eat less in a month than you probably eat in 3 or 4 days?

I went to church for about 6 years when Iwas younger, but now, all ofa sudden, I'm questioning it.
I want to believe it, as I feel surely if I don't believe it, I'll go to Hell (It's a bit self-centred, but I'd rather not spend eternity being whipped and chained in those fiery chasms), but at the same time, so much of it doesn't make sense, and there are so many different versions of Christianity that contradict each otehr that the only conclusion I can come up with is that it's all a farce.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.