GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Changing my processor clock speed"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/03/05 at 10:47
Regular
"SOUP!"
Here's the situation.

My processor is an AMD 2600+ XP (edited this, it's higher than I thought)

However the clock speed is 1.17 GHz

I'm led to beleive I can jack this up to at least 1.5GHz

My RAM (if relevent) is 256 MB (not sure if thats important).

I know I'd have to do something in the BIOS however I'm not sure what, im a bit of a novice, so if you can help me I'll be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Sun 06/03/05 at 10:47
Regular
"SOUP!"
Here's the situation.

My processor is an AMD 2600+ XP (edited this, it's higher than I thought)

However the clock speed is 1.17 GHz

I'm led to beleive I can jack this up to at least 1.5GHz

My RAM (if relevent) is 256 MB (not sure if thats important).

I know I'd have to do something in the BIOS however I'm not sure what, im a bit of a novice, so if you can help me I'll be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Sun 06/03/05 at 10:54
Regular
Overclocking is a bit risky.

In my opinion.

To overclock your processor you have to have sufficient cooling.

Hmmmm......Just reading your post might be concerning something else.....

You say your CPU speed is 1.17? Seems a little low if you ask me, my AMD 2400+ is 2Ghz

The only thing I can imagine is the problem is your multiplier is set wrong.

Memory speed * multiplier = Clock speed

Mine is

133 * 15 = 1995mhz

I'd read up on your suggested settings for your processor.

Ignore me if I'm totally wrong on this though.
Sun 06/03/05 at 11:07
Regular
"SOUP!"
I'm not trying to overclock, at least I don't think I am.

Just trying to set it to the speed it's meant to be at!

Can you msn me please mate: [email protected] - you sound as if you know what you're on about :-)
Sun 06/03/05 at 12:35
Regular
"bing bang bong"
A 2200XP should be doing 1800Mhz ( [URL]http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20020313/athlonxp-02.html[/URL] ), that is to say a front-side-bus of 133Mhz and a multiplier of 13.5 (multiply them together to get 1795). One or both of these numbers is set too low on your machine.

To fix this, turn the machine off then turn it back on again, and hammer the Delete key (not the backspace key) to get into the BIOS menu. This is likely to be a blue background with yellow text in two columns (and a bit of guff at the bottom) - if it's not you don't have an Award BIOS (so you'll either need to translate the following into what you see onscreen or give us the make + model of your computer or motherboard for us to advise further). The BIOS menu is fairly straightforward to use - use the cursor keys to roam the cursor around the screen, use Return to enter menus and ESC to go back up one level. You're looking for a sub-menu that lets you fiddle with the processor speed, this is usually the top-left or the top-right menu (on my ABIT motherboard's BIOS it's top-left, called Softmenu-III Setup, but it's probably different on yours). Remember you want to change:

Front Side Bus speed to 133Mhz (this could also be called
"External Multiplier" or "FSB", and is almost certainly already set to either 100Mhz or 133Mhz)

Multiplier to 13.5

There may be an option to simply select which processor you have, in which case you just have to select XP2200 and it sets the FSB and multiplier for you. In any case, once you're done in the processor sub-menu. Press ESC and look for an option to save settings and exit. On reboot, check the processor speed is set to 1795 or 1800 on the startup screen.
Sun 06/03/05 at 12:48
Regular
"SOUP!"
I don't know how to check what make my motherboard is - I can't seem to find it in hardware manager.

I got the following info from my bios: (and I found out my processor is 2600+ not 2200)

Info below:

CPU speed - 1150 MHz
CPU frequency Multiple MHz - 11.5x
CPU external requency MHz - 100/33

Also irrelevent probably but:
Memory Frequency - Auto
CPU Vcore 1.650V

Thanks a lot for the info mate, just need to know which to change, and what to.
Sun 06/03/05 at 12:56
Regular
"Digging!"
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20020821/athlonxp-01.html

Values you want:
CPU speed - 2133 MHz
CPU frequency Multiple MHz - 16x
CPU external requency MHz - 133
Sun 06/03/05 at 12:58
Regular
"SOUP!"
Will I need extra cooling if I jack it up?

I think I've just got two little fans.
Sun 06/03/05 at 13:01
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
If I were to overclock my laptop then the entirety of the Midlands would probably melt.

Or everyone would be blown away by the fan. Or deafened...
Sun 06/03/05 at 13:04
Regular
"SOUP!"
I'm not overclocking it, am I?

Just putting it to how it should be... ?
Sun 06/03/05 at 13:04
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Paradox: wrote:
> Will I need extra cooling if I jack it up?
>
> I think I've just got two little fans.

Your processor cooling should be designed to cope with at least your processor's native speed, so you should be okay.

EDIT: no, you're not overclocking it. At the moment the processor is underclocked.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.