GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Laptop Cooling"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/03/05 at 21:33
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
OK, I'm really getting angry now. I buy a £1200 laptop and it's the noisiest thing in the world, ever. When running at full fan power it's just plain stupid, I'll get a sound clip of it 'taking off' next time.

Anyway, what good (AND QUIET!!) ways are there of cooling this thing further? It's so 'ing noisy it's doing my head in, I can't play music quietly as I can't hear it over the fan sometimes!

I sooooo want to get a desktop.
Thu 10/03/05 at 10:39
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I'm gonna end up smashing this thing. I'm trying to work and it keeps going mad, it's just so noisy. I'm NEVER buying a laptop ever again!

Now, how would I go by accessing the fan in the first place, there doesn't seem to be any sort of panel on the back that I can take off to get to it? Is there a special way of doing this?

Maybe if I clean it out it might help.
Tue 08/03/05 at 14:13
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
The system has been idling for the past 30 mins, but the processor is at 57 degrees and the HD is at 49 deg.
Tue 08/03/05 at 14:09
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
phi11ip wrote:
> Garin wrote:
> Several options for external cooling, you might try something like
> this:
> [URL]http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2839.html[/URL]
>
> Hmmmm, if I were to disable the fan completely and to just use that,
> do you think it would work effectively?

Not a chance, you need the airflow the fan provides.

Judging from your complaining about its activity, it seems to me that the first stop should be to try replacing the laptop fan. Unfortunately its a non-trivial thing (depending on the laptop) so you might well be better finding out from the manufacturer how much a servicing will cost.

It might be worth downloading something like winbond hardware doctor and seeing what kind of temps you're running at too. An additional factor could be the heat sensors are damaged/blocked. I think your fan is kicking in far too much and for far too long from what you're saying. So ultimately buying additional cooling is just delaying the inevitable anyway.
Tue 08/03/05 at 13:26
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Ah, it might be going madder than usual today because it was playing music in the background. It's plugged into my radio which isn't on AUX. If it goes mad again I'll scream.
Tue 08/03/05 at 13:19
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
lcarus wrote:
> Sounds (OMFG ha de ha) like one bought from SR.

It's one of the ones that SR sell! I didn't get it from here though.

I'm going to cry. It's too loud.
Tue 08/03/05 at 13:13
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Even I know better than that.
Tue 08/03/05 at 13:12
Sounds (OMFG ha de ha) like one bought from SR.
Tue 08/03/05 at 13:10
Regular
"Excommunicated"
What laptop do you have? (so I can avoid it).
Tue 08/03/05 at 13:07
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Garin wrote:
> Several options for external cooling, you might try something like
> this:
> [URL]http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2839.html[/URL]

Hmmmm, if I were to disable the fan completely and to just use that, do you think it would work effectively?

Hmmmmm.

It's going mad at the moment, I'm going to lose my temper with it soon and trash it. I've come close already.

I hate it, I can't hear the radio over it!!
Mon 07/03/05 at 14:15
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
Have you tried showing it to the manufacturers and explaining that if they don't fix it you'll sue as they haven't sought the rights to build an airport runway?

Plus it might be faulty...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.