GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Laptop Cooling"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/03/05 at 21:33
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
OK, I'm really getting angry now. I buy a £1200 laptop and it's the noisiest thing in the world, ever. When running at full fan power it's just plain stupid, I'll get a sound clip of it 'taking off' next time.

Anyway, what good (AND QUIET!!) ways are there of cooling this thing further? It's so 'ing noisy it's doing my head in, I can't play music quietly as I can't hear it over the fan sometimes!

I sooooo want to get a desktop.
Sun 13/03/05 at 23:50
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
You don't replace it, laptop cooling is a bit of an cant to remove, there are three possibilities. It screws on clips on or is glued on, if you’re lucky you will get screws, clips aren’t too bad but if it’s glued on I would just leave it. When you manage to loosen the copper block you may find it is also glued on as well, you can take two options here. Turn the laptop on for a few seconds and when it heats up it should just come of, or you could just sit there with a hairdryer.

Clean the core of with some kind of strong pure alcohol. Then whack a rice size of thermal compound on (I recommend arctic silver 5). Then screw or clip it back on, if it is glued (With no clips or screws) and you do manage to get it of, you buy these thermal glue mix things. (Don’t use if it is clipped or screwed on)

The CPU copper block in normally the one to the centre of the laptop, the one with the biggest copper block on, the other one/two is either the motherboard chipset cooler or the GPU block. Clean the copper pipes that connect them all together, and also clean the fan. That should just about do it.
Sun 13/03/05 at 17:57
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
poopots wrote:
> When you do manage to get it open, I suggest you remove the copper
> block (If you can), whack some decent thermal compound under there.

I can see a copper block when I look inside the exhaust vent, what am I meant to replace it with when/if I take it out?
Sun 13/03/05 at 15:35
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
When you do manage to get it open, I suggest you remove the copper block (If you can), whack some decent thermal compound under there. Remove every bit of dust you can, around the fan, heat pipes and even the GPU block, a cheap small paintbrush will do the trick. My mums had a similar problem except hers never had a noisy fan, it just kept shutting its self down.
Sun 13/03/05 at 13:55
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
So go and buy a set of screwdrivers. :P
Sun 13/03/05 at 13:34
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I just checked the temperature, it's 72 degrees!

I sooooo need to get this fixed, working on it is impossible!
Sat 12/03/05 at 18:40
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Argh, it's now on the second fan setting and I'm only typing into Word!

The fan must be blocked up, there's hardly any air coming out of the vent at the back. Considering the noise it's making there should be a lot more coming out...

And nobody has a screwdriver, grrrr.
Thu 10/03/05 at 18:40
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Nobody in my house has got a small screwdriver that I can use, it's such a sod!

There must be somewhere that I can get one cheaply...
Thu 10/03/05 at 13:32
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Computers hate me too.
Loads of things will go wrong with mine. Firstly, I'm betting delayed delivery and ten dead pixels in the centre of the screen.
Thu 10/03/05 at 13:30
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
SHEEPY wrote:
> I think you just bought a dud.
> Have you thought about replacing it? No way does the average (even
> noisy) laptop EVER sound like yours.
>
> No offence

Exactly what my Dad says!

"F'in hell Phil, I've never heard such a noisy laptop in my life!"

I think the fan vent might be blocked. I've noticed how hardly any air is coming out of the back.

I'm gonna take to it tonight with a screwdriver and sort it out. Or if I forget to unplug it, it will probably sort me out.

I just don't know how to access it though, which could be a problem!
Thu 10/03/05 at 13:13
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I think you just bought a dud.
Have you thought about replacing it? No way does the average (even noisy) laptop EVER sound like yours.

No offence

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.