GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Top 100 Video Games Of All Time"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/02/05 at 21:28
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
I really do apologise if this has been done over and over again, but watched the Cartoon's greatest yesterday and wondered what the top 100 video games would be as voted for by you guys. Yes there has been "best games ever threads" etc... but what about a top 100.

Over the next few weeks, I will be asking people on many forums what their favourite video games are and on the final deadline I will total up all the votes and display the results on the web. Hopefully this will work as I reckon it will be interesting.

Don't worry by the way, I will only ask on general forums and not PS2 or Gamecube only ones. Now here's how it will work:

You can pick any video game of past and present but only once. You pick your ten favourite video games and list them giving a little comment on why if you can and please write the format of it too. (Snes, Mega Drive, PS1, X Box etc…) Games that have been released yearly like Smackdown or FIFA will count as only one overall game. So if you prefer Pro Evo 4 over Pro Evo 3 then it will count as a Pro Evo vote overall.

Each game you vote for will be given a point and the games with the highest points will be entered into the top 100 video games.

Mario Bros. 3, Pong, Metal Gear Solid, FIFA, Sonic The Hedgehog, Halo, Pacman you name it. I hope you will take this serious, and I will post newer details on deadline when I can.
Thu 03/03/05 at 19:16
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
If I'm limited to series rather than individual games I'd have to say:

Final Fantasy series
Metal Gear Solid series
Skies of Arcadia
Gran Turismo series
Sega GT series
Dark Cloud/Chronicle series
Grand Theft Auto series
Wipeout series
Planetarion
SOCOM: US Navy SEALs

If I were allowed to nominate individual games I'd have to say:

Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2)
Final Fantasy X (PS2)
Final Fantasy VII (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)
Skies of Arcadia (DC)
Gran Turismo 3 (PS2)
Sega GT (DC)
Dark Chronicle (PS2)
Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas

After tomorrow you'll probably have to squeeze MGS3 somewhere into that list too.

Reasons (I'll do the series list as it's probably easier):

Final Fantasy series
VII brought RPG gaming to the mainstream (with a little help from the fact that it was on the PlayStation). Before this good RPG games in the marketplace were hard to find and only attracted a niche audience, now the FF series is widely known and RPGs are being released practically monthly by many different publishers on all formats.
VII had one of the most emotional cut-scenes ever to appear in any game, anywhere, X has one of the best storylines (although you needed to play it through more than once to 'get it'), and X-2 is just collossal, for me it pips the others to the top spot purely on the merit of its opening theme.

Metal Gear Solid series
The first one was absolute class, brought sheer inventiveness (including having to use controller port 2 for one boss battle) and fantastic storytelling and characterisations to gaming. The sequel didn't really bring anything new in terms of gameplay (couple of extra moves and the ability to improve grip strength, but that and shiny graphics didn't beat the original). Vamp still stands out as the best baddie in any game, ever.

Skies of Arcadia
You have to play it to believe it. Contains one of the best special moves in any RPG (Dance for me). Fantastic visuals and original storyline made it stand out from 'run of the mill' RPGs.

Gran Turismo series
Shiny cars, shiny tracks, and no frills handling. The Golf in GT3 handles exactly as my Golf did when I was a boy racer, and that's what driving simulation is all about.

Sega GT series
When I get bored of doing 100lap endurance trials in GT3, Sega GT allows me to let loose and burn some rubber for Kudos. The same guys went on to make Project Gotham Racing so you'd presumably have to lump that in under the same 'series' category, seeing as they're both the same game in essence.

Dark Cloud/Chronicle series
Fishing. And Golf. And Fish Breeding. And Town Planning. And Fish Racing. Best mini-games ever in an RPG.

Grand Theft Auto series
Go anywhere do anything gaming for bad boys. Just what the doctor ordered and keeps me from doing it for real.

Wipeout series
Fastest racer I've ever experienced, especially in Wipeout: Fusion's Zone mode.

Planetarion
The most tactically rewarding tick-based real-time strategy game ever devised, and possibly the only game in the world that made you set your alarm for 3am just so you could start research on a new ship type. May the best cheats win.

SOCOM: US Navy SEALs
I'd never really been interested in shooters before this one came along, but it managed to hook me the first time I shot a gook in the head and watched blood spew out from his mouth as he fell over backwards. Some of the most intense online gaming ever.
Thu 03/03/05 at 18:19
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Looking at the votes so far, and the likely winner isn't actually doing too well at the moment.
Thu 03/03/05 at 13:19
Dear humanity,

I was knocked on the head when I was ten, so please excuse any dates, lessons, codes of ethic and/or things I shouldn't do if they were said to me before that date. This includes internet child grooming and overall retardiness.

Okay, so some of these things were told to me after I decided to be a div. But still, how can you put a date on stupidness!11!!

Also, while I do realise that editing is an underhand way of replying to a statement that hurt my fragile emotions, it is the only way I can come up with an argument that is right; well, in my head anyway.

Furthermore, if at any time I have said something wrong, please just take it as a joke!! See, ;) - wink wink. JOKE. For example:

I think the skirts that infants have to wear on school uniforms are nice. ;), wink wink.

Signed

Nicky G

P.S. Mum, I plan to move house when I'm dead in my coffin. Apologies for not trying to make something out of myself, though admittedly I've had quite a few years to do so.
Thu 03/03/05 at 13:12
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Cong Man wrote:
> I'm disregarding anyone's list who doesn't list anything further back
> than the N64, as they're too young to remember when games were games.

Well i think i have but it's thats descrimination against those with poor memories. I would likely have had more oldies if i could remember them.

Just incase any of you morons(Icarus) can't tell, i was hardly being serious. Don't make me have to put a ;) at the end of every bloody thing i type!
Thu 03/03/05 at 12:47
Regular
"..."
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Magic Land Dizzy

Now that's a classic.

Or any of the other Dizzy games for that matter.

BRILLIANT!
Thu 03/03/05 at 12:46
Regular
Was it only supposed to be 10 games?

pfffffft
Thu 03/03/05 at 12:45
Regular
Secret of Monkey Island
Magic Land Dizzy
Cannon Fodder
Rick Dangerous
Lemmings
Worms
Doom
Quake
Super Mario Brothers
Super Mario 3
Zelda : Links Awakening
Super Fighter 2 : Turbo
Mortal Kombat 3
Turtles Tournament Fighter
Settlers 2
Warcraft 2
Transport Tycoon
Theme Park
Dark Forces
Mario 64
Zelda : OOT
Banjo Tooie
Conkers Bad Fur Day
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Hitman 2
Zelda : Wind Waker
Mario Sunshine
Resident Evil Remake
Thu 03/03/05 at 12:41
I might post my top 100 games of all time. Yes, HUNDRED. OMG
Thu 03/03/05 at 12:35
Regular
"..."
I'm disregarding anyone's list who doesn't list anything further back than the N64, as they're too young to remember when games were games.
Thu 03/03/05 at 10:37
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Resident Evil: Nemesis
Rome Total War
Medieval Total War
Shogun Total War
Morrowind
Star Wars:KOTR
Theatre: Europe
Defender of the Crown (on the Amiga of course)
Dune: Emperor
Championship Manager (in all it's incarnations)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.