GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Top 100 Video Games Of All Time"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/02/05 at 21:28
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
I really do apologise if this has been done over and over again, but watched the Cartoon's greatest yesterday and wondered what the top 100 video games would be as voted for by you guys. Yes there has been "best games ever threads" etc... but what about a top 100.

Over the next few weeks, I will be asking people on many forums what their favourite video games are and on the final deadline I will total up all the votes and display the results on the web. Hopefully this will work as I reckon it will be interesting.

Don't worry by the way, I will only ask on general forums and not PS2 or Gamecube only ones. Now here's how it will work:

You can pick any video game of past and present but only once. You pick your ten favourite video games and list them giving a little comment on why if you can and please write the format of it too. (Snes, Mega Drive, PS1, X Box etc…) Games that have been released yearly like Smackdown or FIFA will count as only one overall game. So if you prefer Pro Evo 4 over Pro Evo 3 then it will count as a Pro Evo vote overall.

Each game you vote for will be given a point and the games with the highest points will be entered into the top 100 video games.

Mario Bros. 3, Pong, Metal Gear Solid, FIFA, Sonic The Hedgehog, Halo, Pacman you name it. I hope you will take this serious, and I will post newer details on deadline when I can.
Tue 01/03/05 at 20:09
Regular
"A Paladin with a PH"
Half Life 2
Baldur's Gate Series
Deus Ex
Half Life 1
SSX Tricky (PS2)
Morrowind
Neverwinter Nights
Dawn of War
Nethack
Final Fantasy 9
Tue 01/03/05 at 20:13
Regular
"I play the Harmonic"
Timmargh wrote:
> Skidmarks
> Cannon Fodder
> Superfrog
> Rollcage

Aye, especially Superfrog at times that guy could jump.
Tue 01/03/05 at 20:31
Regular
"hit the road jack"
1. Goldeneye
2. Mario 64
3. Wario ware
4. Fable
5. Harvest moon
6. Chronicles of riddick
7. Beyond good & evil
8. Gta: vice city
9. Rollercoaster tycoon
10.Burnout 3
Tue 01/03/05 at 21:14
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Cannon Fodder
SWOS
Disgaea
FF7
Skidmarks
Gods
Lemmings
Vandal Hearts 2
Magic Pockets
Half Life
Tue 01/03/05 at 21:19
Regular
Zelda: OoT
Super Mario World
Super Mario 3
Timesplitters 2
Chrono Trigger
FF7
Tales Of Symphonia
Skies Of Arcadia
Super Metroid
Rock N Roll Racing (Yeah baby)
Tue 01/03/05 at 21:46
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Fur Fighters: Viggo's Revenge
Zelda: OoT
Zelda: Link to the Past
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Banjo Kazooie
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Heroes
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Timesplitters 2
Zelda: Link's Awakening
Tue 01/03/05 at 22:47
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Final Fantasy VII
Street Fighter II
Broken Sword
Ico
GTA SA
Civilization II
Destruction Derby II
Sim City
Mario Kart
Bomberman

No Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Lemmings, Fifa(when it was good) Tenchu, Syphon Filter(really miss that one)Everybodies Golf, Kidd Chameleon, Dizzy Egg, Bubble Bubble(is that right), Spy Vs Spy, Theme Park...
Wed 02/03/05 at 11:57
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I've rambled on a bit but here's my list:

1. Super Mario Kart (SNES). Dated Mode-7 visuals, but still as fun to play now as it was back in the day. Good track design, tight controls, twee music and fun two-player Grand Prix. Still the best Mario Kart title out there; no gimmicks (apart from the items), no stupid power-sliding speed boost crap, just simple racing. The blatant CPU cheating was a downer though (jumping over dropped items, the sudden speed boosts they’d get on higher difficulty levels making them speed past you on the finishing straight, etc.)

2. GoldenEye (N64). The best movie tie-in game there ever was and ever will be, you actually felt like you were Bond; either skulking around spy-stylee, or blasting the living crap out of everything. Amazing visuals for the time (character skins, weapons and level detail, etc). An excellent variety of levels, loads of great weapons, fantastic music. Satisfying one player game, but multiplayer? Never beaten. Ever. You can forget your online US-teenage-nerdlinger-filled Halo 2, Counter-Strike and all the rest of them, GoldenEye is the multiplayer daddy.

3. Broken Sword (PC/PS1/GBA). A few years ago, point & click adventures were good, and Broken Sword was top of the pile in my opinion. In George Stobbart we had a fantastic lead character, full of charisma and humour, combine this with other great supporting characters, a brilliant and intriguing storyline, beautiful and varied backgrounds, nice music and good puzzles and we had one cracking little adventure. Even to this day, despite knowing the story and puzzles, I can still go back and play through Broken Sword again and enjoy it as much as when I first played it. A fantastic adventure game.

4. Secret of Mana (SNES). I’ve never really played a huge amount of RPG’s, mainly because none of them will ever be as good as Mana, so what’s the point? Secret of Mana had it all; epic and involving storyline, good characters, huge game worlds, lots of well designed enemies and bosses, weapons to collect and upgrade, and a freakin’ awesome orchestral musical score which sounded amazing back in the SNES era. If it wasn’t already so great, how about adding the fact that it was 3-player simultaneous, meaning you could experience a fantastic RPG with the help of 2 other people right with you all the way.

5. Mario 64 (N64). I nearly cried when I first saw this up and running on my brand new N64. Amazing game. Miyamoto and his team designed a huge and detailed 3D world for us, and then said, “Go on my son, go and explore and play around in this diverse 3D world.” Loads of varied levels to explore and various things to see and do, and a great use of the analogue stick (move it slightly and Mario will creep, move it all the way and he’ll run!).
Still one of the best games ever.

6. Street Fighter 2 (SNES). Before the SNES was released, a shop in my local high street had a machine playing on a TV in the window, and running on the machine was Street Fighter 2. I stood at that shop window quite a lot watching the various fight demos play through and I knew that one-day, that game would be mine. Then, the Christmas that year, it was, and whilst it was great watching the demo in a shop window, it was even better to play the real game, and what a game it was. Best beat ‘em up evah, end of. No modern beat ‘em up will ever get close to the simplistic perfection that is SF2; simple 2D movement, not an overly large contingent of moves, no crazy combos or ridiculous special FX fuelled super moves, no reversals, just simple punching and kicking and a few exclusive special moves for each character.
When you play SF2 with another expert (me and my older brother played against each other the same amount so both became good players together), duels became more like chess matches, played by two grandmasters, with each one anticipating the others moves and counteracting them with their own moves. Our Ryu vs Ken showdowns were great gaming memories, though Dhalsim was cack.

7. The Gran Tursimo series (PS1/PS2): raised the benchmark for racing games, and still the premier series for people looking for a realistic racing experience. Sure, there’s no damage and the rival CPU cars snake along in a line, but the games are just so darn cool. Excellent visuals for each game, realistic handling and vehicle physics, great soundtracks, good track designs and an abundance of vehicles to collect, all rendered in amazing detail. Plenty of different game modes made longevity high for each game too (though those pesky endurance races were evil). I know GT4 may not be a huge step forward, but I’m looking forward to it nonetheless.

8. Metal Gear Solid (PS1). Yes, I know it isn’t cool to like this series anymore; the overly long cutscenes and codec conversations, the basic gameplay which is no more sophisticated than a Spectrum-era game, portentous meanings and complicated storyline, but the first one was one heck of a rollercoaster action game.
We had it all; action, gunplay, emotion, great characters and characterisation, amazing music and thrilling boss fights, all set in a well-designed Alaskan facility (the voice acting was also very good, unlike 99% of other games at the time).
Style over substance, but what style it was.

9. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2/PC). The chances are, if you remember the 80’s, you love Vice City, and I do love the 80’s. I’m currently watching Miami Vice season 1 on dvd, and it’s amazing how accurate Rockstar were when it came to recreating the 80’s Miami-esque Vice City. All the well-remembered stylings from the era are there: big phones, pastel jackets with sleeves rolled up, neon lit nightclubs etc etc.
It’s all well and good to recreate a big 80’s style city and fill it with stereotypical characters that wouldn’t look out of place in Miami Vice or Scarface, but what about the actual gameplay? Well it was fantastic. We had varied kinds of missions and the free-roaming nature of the world meant you could take it all at your own pace; either do the missions or just cruise around exploring, looking for hidden bonuses or ‘Easter Eggs’. The city size was also just about perfect, not too big (like San Andreas) and not too small.
It had an amazing 80’s soundtrack too, much better than the crap San Andreas one. When I first played the game, I immediately nicked a bike and sped down the seaside strip listening to Billie Jean. Fantastic.

10. Ridge Racer Type 4 (PS1). I was never a fan of the Ridge Racer series. In fact, I think they’re all a load of crap. Except for RR4. I’m not sure what made me buy it, I guess it was those gorgeous screenshots, and I’m glad I did, because I ended up enjoying it immensely. The car handling and design was a bit crap, but the atmosphere was glorious; mellow pop music and picture postcard visuals combined to make a dreamy feeling racer.

The nearly men:

Resident Evil 4. The best current generation game I’ve played for a long time.
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. A bit too much backtracking/water navigation but otherwise top stuff.
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. Played and designed as well as a Nintendo game, which is the ultimate compliment for a platformer, though let down by tedious combat sections.
Super Probotector. In an age before the contra series turned mediocre, this game was awesome fun (especially in 2-player).
The Sims/Sims 2. Does get a bit boring after a while, but very enjoyable nonetheless.
Legend of the Mystical Ninja. Enjoyable platformer/PRG filled with enough weirdness to fill a dozen Japanese game shows.
Super Mario World. 96 levels of 2D platforming perfection (except the Cheese Bridge, I hated that level).
The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. Massive, huge, immense, gargantuan, terms that don’t even begin to describe the size of Morrowind. Excellent free-roaming open-ended RPG. A bit beardy, but good stuff.
San Francisco Rush. The car handling sucked, but it was tremendous fun speeding through the shortcut-filled streets of San Francisco.
Half-Life. Awesome at the time, but shockingly dated now.
ISS series on N64. I probably still prefer the N64 ISS games over Pro Evo.
Metropolis Street Racer. Great realistic racer, racing through London had never been so good (mainly due to the lack of traffic congestion)
Operation Flashpoint. Incredibly hard realistic battle sim in which one shot could kill you, all of which meant I surprised myself when I managed to complete it.
Tetris. The best puzzle game there has ever been and ever will be.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I watched my brother play through this from start to finish and so was a bit daunted to play it myself after seeing how epic it was, so I can’t technically call it one of my favourites, but it’s undeniably amazing.
Final Fantasy VII. Same as Ocarina of Time.
Pilotwings 64. Technically excellent flight sim (please Nintendo, give us a new next-gen one soon).
Rival Schools. Underrated beat ‘em up, with some excellent characters to play as, mini games and a nice anime intro.
Perfect Dark. Not as good as GoldenEye, but a fine game nonetheless. The single player was merely OK, and the multiplayer was good, but I didn’t like it as much as GoldenEye’s. 2-player simultaneous was cool though.
Wed 02/03/05 at 12:49
Regular
"..."
1) Diahorrea Dan, obviously.
Wed 02/03/05 at 12:57
Regular
No order, heres my 10

Sensible world of Soccer (Amiga). Fooking amazing. Nothing amazing about the game technically. But thats what probably makes it so playable.

Super Mario Kart (SNES). Love the sound effects, as i do in all mario games. Great fun to race with or without mates.

Zelda: Ocarina of time (N64) Epic. Fell in love with it and enjoyed every second of it.

Pro evolution soccer (PS2) Play it nearly every day against my brother.

Grand Theft Auto (PS2) Pretty much the only non football or racing game i've bought in the last few years.

Conkers Bad fur day (N64) This game was so fun to play, great to see Rare give conker the bad boy look and not just some banjo/mario clone.

Goldeneye (N64) THE multiplayer game for the N64

Donkey Kong Country (SNES) Was way ahead of its time. So was its original price of £60 :0

Championship Manager (PC) My most played game. Been playing since the early 90s. Probably lost over a year of my life to this game.

Wrestlemania 2000 (N64) Great multiplayer. Me and my mates used to bunk off school just to play 4 player on this.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.