GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My Metroid Prime: Echoes review"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metroid Prime 2: Echoes'.
Tue 23/11/04 at 16:52
Regular
This is my review of the MP2 box.

Initially the box is a standard affair, black rectangle, opens like a book, has a thingy inside to clip the disc on etc. But the similarities stop [roughly] there. Cast a quick eye across the front of the box and you'll notice something; this box is different, this box is new, this box is the future, this box is EXTREME TO THE MAX!!

Why so amazing? It's holographic! The front features a large picture of Samus looking awesome, with a big faded-into-the-background picture of a Chozo. The background is all shiny, as is the game title and logo. The back holds yet further treats; pictures of two new aliens, some screenshots and even more awesome holographic shinyness. Also while looking at it from any number of different angles, you can witness stunning blanketed rainbows eminating from the silky surface.

In summary then:

Strengths
- Holographic!
- Shiny!
- Awesome 'new box' smell
- Easy to remove wrapping
- Fantastic artwork
- Rainbows!!!!
- Writing on back in English and French (Canadian box)
- SHINY SHINY SHINY!!!

Weaknesses
NONE!

I give this box 10/10.

umm..review of the game like, later or something...whatever.
Sat 08/01/05 at 23:57
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Has everyone else finished it now then? I had to search back ages for a topic on it :S I picked it up second-hand today. I've been very much looking forward to playing it for ages and couldn't resist not buying it until after my module exams any longer :S

So I'm in Argon Wastes at the moment, not very far but I'm enjoying it. Mostly. I haven't played the original in a while but I was quickly reminded of everything I liked and disliked about the original. Good stuffs: it's looks, which are even better this time round. It's atmosphere. It's enemies, although they've all been mostly bog-standard boring so far.

I'm glad to say what I didn't like about the previous one seems to have been addressed to a degree. The game feels a lot more structured.. you aren't alone on the planet, you have the Lumos helping you, the storyific cut scenes and Lores with the Federation Troops have given me more story in the opening hour than in most of the whole of the original game. I do get that feeling I'm going to be wandering around aimlessly sooner or later and feel the urge to turn on the hints system again, but meh. I'm enjoying at the moment.
Sun 12/12/04 at 17:32
Regular
"bit of a brain"
the light suit is mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nice
Sun 12/12/04 at 12:22
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Just completed it.

Finally, I can actually do some Geography Coursework this weekend!

Excellent game, a good sequel to the first. I can't wait for the Revolution version... anticipation to the max!
Sat 11/12/04 at 17:47
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I found a Sky Temple Key in Dark Agon Wastes. I don't think I was supposed to.
Sat 11/12/04 at 17:44
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Just got the Light Suit- finally, a good suit!

Also just got two more temple keys. What a jip- they want us to get NINE more?
Sat 11/12/04 at 17:26
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I just got the Echo Visor - finally, a good visor.
Dark Samus was really ridiculously easy, like most of the bosses so far - I hope that the Annihilator boss is as good as you say.

Also, I LOVE Sanctuary Fortress, even if I do hate fighting enemies. Sometimes I wish that Metroid didn't have anything but bosses, or that enemies didn't respawn. My favourite rooms are rooms that are empty of enemies, and filled with items. mMmmmmmmmm Energy tanks.
Sat 11/12/04 at 16:57
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Just got the Anihilator... finally, a good-ish boss.
Sat 11/12/04 at 13:52
Regular
"bit of a brain"
The story in Metroid is pretty much the same every time, to be honest.

Samus goes to a new world - helps out the nice local inhabitants by killing off all the nasty space pirates, fights a big metroid, singlehandedly removes the space pirates from the planet, goes off to some other planet.

The difference here is that instead of space pirates you're fighting the Ing, who end up being space pirates most of the time anyway.

Does anyone else find it ridiculous that the Luminoth, with all their technology, all their psychic abilities, and all thei knowledge, couldn't defeat the Ing, whereas Samus, one woman in a suit, can. It just doesn't make sense to me.

That Spider ball boss was more of a puzzle than a boss - luckily i remembered to scan it before the battle started. And the Power Bomb Guardian - what a joke, although I am mighty happy to have my power bombs, it's so frustrating when evrything is made of "Denzium" and you just KNOW you can blow it up and find something nice in there. Aha, now I'm off on a rampage, except not in Dark Aether, becauase I hate it there.
Sat 11/12/04 at 00:22
Regular
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> Well I suppose Mario would actually have to have a storyline to
> get screwed up in the first place.
>
> I'm still right though, Retro have ****ed this up. Now get out of my
> thread you cockjockey.

Christ WS Nintendo are never ones for storylines!

Nintendo essentially create the same concept for a game, create the game, change things, make it fresh or at least a warrented sequel and then adds a storyline on after wards.

Zelda's story is seriously screwy, each game link is unware of who Zelda is, each game Link has no ability and learns everything... yet every game has a slight change in the story.

Nintendo at times try to make each game a part of a story such as Wind Waker's "Link is reborn" nonsense but to be honest it isn't that important. Zelda is a fantastic adventure title, Metroid is an amazing platform come shooter with isolation and upgrades whilst Mario is a storming platformer. Those are the fundamental points that need addressing before a storyline.

I mean whatever happened to Mario's Daisy???

You know in PAper Mario 2 the most unusual level was the "Glitzville" level because it featured an interesting storyline that compelled you on.

That level needed it because all that level was, was a series of endless battles. Without the compelling storyline it would have been the worst level in the game.

XIII, a shoddy FPS? No a fantastic game that I couldn't put down! Why? Story. Same with Conker's Bad Fur Day and Shadowman.

All of those games, particularly, the latter 2 are two of my favourite games but I would have given them up at certain "dull" bits if it wasn't for the compelling story.

Nintendo have never needed a story to their games, they are and always will be the most unimportant aspect of the game. Metroid Prime is a great example of this, if you don't scan everything you won't know the story properly and the reason for this is that you don't need to know the story.
Fri 10/12/04 at 20:24
Regular
"bit of a brain"
The bosses better start getting better, I tell you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.