GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Originals versus Covers"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/01/05 at 00:27
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
OK, inspired by a convo in another thread: is it possible for a cover to be better than an original version of a song?

Example: Guns n Roses version of Bob Dylan's classic "Knockin' on Heavens Door". Did Slash bring anything to the table with his wanky-wanky-woo solo, or does the original sentiment of the song prevent any further covers from having any credibility?

Remember that most of the pap we have in the charts now are covers, and make your decision wisely.
Mon 10/01/05 at 19:34
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Rob Zombie- Blitzkrieg Bop
Worthy of mention just because of the completely different way he performs it to how the Ramones did. It's not better than the original, but it sounds great!

Jimi Hendrix- All Along The Watchtower
Excellent song, very much outclasses Bob Dylan's original.

Judas Priest- Better By You, Better Than Me
Spooky Tooth's original version is far inferior, as the song suits Priest's style pretty well.
Mon 10/01/05 at 21:57
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Rancid deserve to be f**king shot for their cover of Bob Marley - No Woman No Cry. I've also heard ''Drum n Bass'' remixes of Oasis - Wonderwall and Led Zepplin - Whole Lotta Love, both of which were f**kin disgraceful. Absolute musical sacrilege.
Tue 11/01/05 at 17:14
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Disgraceful, sacriligeous and also very hard on the ears.
Tue 11/01/05 at 17:18
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Goatboy wrote:
> And before a couple of people starting scratching their heads, I
> prefer the Cash version because of the poignancy of it

That addressed to me? ;)

Nah, I prefer the Cash version too. Reznor is Reznor, but Cash makes the track his own.
Tue 11/01/05 at 17:19
Regular
"QPR 1974"
I think the Strokes' cover of the Clash's Clampdown is the better version.
Tue 11/01/05 at 17:27
Regular
Boogie Pimps dancified thus utterly murdered Somebody to Love.

For shame. For shame.
Tue 11/01/05 at 18:41
Regular
"I play the Harmonic"
I think Busteds Year 3000 recently covered by V was better than its cover counterpart.
Tue 11/01/05 at 19:19
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams. Its a bit f**ked up but the original version is just irritating.
Tue 11/01/05 at 19:21
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Pandaemonium wrote:

> Nah, I prefer the Cash version too. Reznor is Reznor, but Cash makes
> the track his own.

100%
it's an amazing song and quite simplistic, especially the piano parts.. but it works SO well.
Tue 11/01/05 at 19:45
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Wink's Lament wrote:
> I think Busteds Year 3000 recently covered by V was better than its
> cover counterpart.

No way.

I've never heard V's version but that song is a classic. Despite the crappy lyrics it's such a good cheese song!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.