GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Originals versus Covers"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/01/05 at 00:27
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
OK, inspired by a convo in another thread: is it possible for a cover to be better than an original version of a song?

Example: Guns n Roses version of Bob Dylan's classic "Knockin' on Heavens Door". Did Slash bring anything to the table with his wanky-wanky-woo solo, or does the original sentiment of the song prevent any further covers from having any credibility?

Remember that most of the pap we have in the charts now are covers, and make your decision wisely.
Mon 10/01/05 at 00:27
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
OK, inspired by a convo in another thread: is it possible for a cover to be better than an original version of a song?

Example: Guns n Roses version of Bob Dylan's classic "Knockin' on Heavens Door". Did Slash bring anything to the table with his wanky-wanky-woo solo, or does the original sentiment of the song prevent any further covers from having any credibility?

Remember that most of the pap we have in the charts now are covers, and make your decision wisely.
Mon 10/01/05 at 00:39
Regular
"8==="
Covers better than the originals:

Rob Zombie - Boogie Man
Joe Jackson - Oh Yeah
Gun - Word up
G n'R - Live and Let Die
Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love

Covers worse than the originals:

Offspring - Got the time (originally by Joe Jackson)
Disturbed - Shout (Originally by Tears for Fears)
Bananarama - Help!
+ Most chart stuff which I've mainly ignored for the amount of time I've been alive.

Ones that are on a par with the original:

AAF - Smooth criminal

Anyone stating that no cover is better than the original is daft.

1) it's down to individual opinion

2) sometimes it needs someone to pick up the idea and give it that little bit more than it had before to make it a true classic.
Mon 10/01/05 at 00:41
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Ghost of Tom Joad - Rage.

Excellet Springstein song, towering Rage masterpiece.
Mon 10/01/05 at 00:45
Regular
"8==="
And with regards to a cover of Knocking on Heaven's Door by a band clearly into heroin, sleeping rough and the harder things in life I'd say it has quite a bit of credibility and relevance as a cover.
Mon 10/01/05 at 00:47
Regular
"Monochromatic"
For
Soft Cell > Gloria Jones - Tainted Love
James Taylor > Carole King - You've Got A Friend
Aretha Franklin > Carole King - (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
Jeff Buckley > Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah
Marvin Gaye > Gladys Knight - I Heard It through The Grapevine
The Byrds > Bob Dylan - Mr Tamborine Man

Against
Too many to mention but a particular loathing of Stand By Me by John Lennon.

Thats all i can think of for now.
Mon 10/01/05 at 01:01
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Hedfix wrote:
> And with regards to a cover of Knocking on Heaven's Door by a band
> clearly into heroin, sleeping rough and the harder things in life I'd
> say it has quite a bit of credibility and relevance as a cover.

See, making sense wasn't that hard! All I wanted was reasons, and you gave them, well done to you, Sire *tips hat*
Mon 10/01/05 at 01:04
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Hedfix wrote:

> 1) it's down to individual opinion
>
> 2) sometimes it needs someone to pick up the idea and give it that
> little bit more than it had before to make it a true classic.

Clearly the 2 most important points.

If in your opinion, someone made a good song, then someone else added to it and made it better then the cover is better. If they're just trying to grab a quick buck, or make a failed attempt at improving it, then original and best.

MM did Tainted Love better for me, because I like a very limited range of "pop" (stuff that you find on TOTP) music, so the rock edge made it better.

Equally, there have been some awful covers of Beatles and Pink Floyd songs.
Mon 10/01/05 at 13:40
Regular
Dylan's genuis song writing, but down and basic production means that most covers of his were gong to be great.

The Byrds did a few, Tambourine Man being great, Times They Are a Changing not really working and the rest coming in between.
Jimi Hendrix and Watch Tower was great.
So was his Hey Joe.

Not many other covers spring to mind....
Mon 10/01/05 at 13:53
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Ugly Kid Joe's cover of Black Sabbath's N.I.B. is simply superb.

There are others I'd mention, but you know ... stuff and things.

;^)
Mon 10/01/05 at 13:53
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Snow Patrols 'Crazy in Love' was good. Not sure if I'll rate it over the original however.

Pink's cover of Feel Good Time is better than Becks version too. This being the only good pop cover, ever... ...that I can think of at the moment...

Muse, 'Feeling Good' is good too.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.