GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Originals versus Covers"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/01/05 at 00:27
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
OK, inspired by a convo in another thread: is it possible for a cover to be better than an original version of a song?

Example: Guns n Roses version of Bob Dylan's classic "Knockin' on Heavens Door". Did Slash bring anything to the table with his wanky-wanky-woo solo, or does the original sentiment of the song prevent any further covers from having any credibility?

Remember that most of the pap we have in the charts now are covers, and make your decision wisely.
Fri 21/01/05 at 15:22
Regular
I think that Timbalands remix of American Woman is spot on, as is the Neptunes remix of Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Fri 21/01/05 at 14:37
Regular
"..."
Your Honour wrote:
> Thanks very much.
>
> I've got two remix compilations, both of which are put together by
> XFM's remix show, and both have fine tracks on them.
>
> [URL]http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=CD&title=127778&p=34&g=48[/URL]
> for Vol. 1.
> [URL]http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=CD&title=108767&p=34&g=48[/URL]
> for Vol. 2

Already got them my friend. Love the Timo Maas Remix of Kelis' 'Young Fresh and New' and Alpinestars version of Placebo. Fantastic.
Thu 20/01/05 at 08:26
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Hmmm, Killing Me Softly by The Fugees is better than the Roberta Flack original which wasn't bad in itself.
Thu 20/01/05 at 08:21
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Ryan Adams Wonderwall is...hmm, on a par at least with Oasis'. Both excellent songs. Hurt, obviously...
Wed 19/01/05 at 13:18
Regular
Thanks very much.

I've got two remix compilations, both of which are put together by XFM's remix show, and both have fine tracks on them.

[URL]http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=CD&title=127778&p=34&g=48[/URL] for Vol. 1.
[URL]http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=CD&title=108767&p=34&g=48[/URL] for Vol. 2
Wed 19/01/05 at 13:09
Regular
"..."
Your Honour wrote:
> Do remixes count?
>
> If so, Jagz Kooner's version of My Beautiful Friend by the
> Charlatans rocks muchly.

You, sir have extremely fine taste in music.

There are some songs which you think should never be covered but then someone comes along and takes the original so out of context that it becomes a worthwhile exercise.

Recent examples would be Marilyn Mansons 'Tainted Love' and Fatboy Slim's 'The Joker'.

The flipside of the coin is doing the cover as close to the original as possible and bringing nothing new, which is abhorrable. See Girls Aloud's 'I'll stand by you'.
Wed 19/01/05 at 12:35
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Gilbert is a law unto himself though.
Wed 19/01/05 at 12:15
Regular
Paul Gilbert's covers > Anything
Mon 17/01/05 at 13:51
Regular
Do remixes count?

If so, Jagz Kooner's version of My Beautiful Friend by the Charlatans rocks muchly.
Mon 17/01/05 at 13:01
Regular
Johnny Cash > U2 - One

I had to pop this to see if it'd been mentioned. Much love the cover.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.