GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSP VS DS"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/12/04 at 18:33
Regular
"object"
there is a dispute over which will be better

it will prob influence my decision being a sony fan

they both have there pros and cons, im suporting the psp cause im a sony fan and it does mp3

the psp is more powerfull and plays mp3 but its battery does not last that long

the DS does have a battery that does not run out as fast and is cheaper, it does have two screens but that does not appeal to me i id rather have one big screen, touch screen will prob not be that good for gaming

DS does look a bit ugly but the nice big screen on the psp will get smashed up cause there is no protection
Tue 28/12/04 at 22:03
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Macintosh wrote:
> gerrid wrote:
> Apparently Lumines is the most addictive game on the PSP. And look
> at
> the graphics on that. Sort of disproves your point about good
> handheld gaming being all abut graphical power, huh Macintosh?
>
> This is due to there only being a few thousand PSP out there at the
> moment. Once people get the choice, we shall see how DS holds up.

Read the whole thing again, slowly this time so it sinks in. Who's clutching at straws now?
Tue 28/12/04 at 20:18
Regular
Mario Kart: Super Circuit was a stroke of pure genius.
Tue 28/12/04 at 20:09
"period drama"
Macintosh wrote:
> gerrid wrote:
> Apparently Lumines is the most addictive game on the PSP. And look
> at
>
> This is due to there only being a few thousand PSP out there at the
> moment. Once people get the choice, we shall see how DS holds up.

Am I the only one who sees absolutely no relation between these 2 posts? I must need it explained to me ... how a game being good despite bad graphics is due to there not being many consoles out there.

Step by step, now, I'm obviously missing something here.
Tue 28/12/04 at 19:47
Regular
There are 500,000 PSP's out there and they haven't sold out!
Tue 28/12/04 at 19:43
Regular
"and PC user"
gerrid wrote:
> Apparently Lumines is the most addictive game on the PSP. And look at

This is due to there only being a few thousand PSP out there at the moment. Once people get the choice, we shall see how DS holds up.
Mon 27/12/04 at 19:56
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Apparently Lumines is the most addictive game on the PSP. And look at the graphics on that. Sort of disproves your point about good handheld gaming being all abut graphical power, huh Macintosh?
Mon 27/12/04 at 18:11
Regular
No, no, no no...

What is the point of making a handheld console if all you're gonna do is put console games on it???

Come on, please. The PS2 is far easier, it is cheaper, the games are cheaper, it is cheaper to have multiplayer games with ya mates. Etc... etc...

Putting SNES games on the GBA HAS NOT worked. Nintendo re-built Mario Kart for the GBA, essentially it is a new game, the tracks were re-made and so forth. Sure it didn't feel much different but Nintendo had to re-build it especially for the handheld. You can unlock the original MK tracks in the game and when you use them you realise why Nintendo re-built the game.

Handheld games are gaming on the go. They either need to absorb you in a special way like Pokemon does or be good for a 5 minute blast like Mario Vs. DK and Wario Ware and Tetris etc...

Handheld games are different to console games. You are obviously a Playstation fan, you think "oh Sony are entering the handheld race they'll win" but this is not the same as the home console market. This is a totally different market. A market made up of those after retro games or simple holiday games, a market made mainly of kids.

You say Sony can make the console acceptable to adults. How??? This isn't like the home console market, you are pratically advertiseing the fact you play games by taking the console with you.

The Nintendo DS is also being used to attract adult gamers. Again a MAJOR mistake, adult gamers won't own it. I can guarentee Ridge Racer will sell pitifully in comparison to Mario 64 DS.

Sony are doing the exact same thing they did with the Playstation. But this is different and I fear Sony are entering a market they don't really know.

All I see is home console games, I don't see handheld games. Games built for the console.

Where is the simple, short, addictive and re-playable handheld game in Sony's line up???

Sony are trying to attract the adult gamer. Much like a certain Nokia console tried to do the other year. That was a multi-media console, that played good looking games and made by a very popular company.

But it failed.

Sony won't fail like Nokia, but they'll encounter many of the same problems.
Mon 27/12/04 at 18:00
Regular
"and PC user"
Dringo wrote:
> The PSP's "scratch resistant" screen means nothing if the
> system is hit with something or cracks on the floor.
>
> The PSP just isn't a handheld console the way they're supposed to be
> done.
>
> Where are the TRADITIONAL handheld games, you know the simple,
> addictive but decent titles.
>
> I don't mean platformers or RPG's or complex shooters... I mean Mario
> Vs. Donkey Kong, Project Rub, Tetris, Pokemon and Wario Ware.
>
> Games made ESPECIALLY for handhelds.
>
> People criticise MGS: Acid but Konami have it right, don't develop an
> existing game for the system but develop a game that works well with
> handhelds. The fact is a proper full scale stealth game is not a
> handheld title and never will be.

Then again, if you were to hit the DS with somethig and cracks on the floor, it would do a lot of damage - it might break it totally.

The reason why hand held games have been very different to those for home consoles, and the reason why previous attempts to put home console games on a handheld have failed is due to the limited technology of the handheld systems. But that is about to change with PSP, and to a lesser extent DS.

>
> Games that aren't developed "especially" for the handheld
> has always been criticised. The mario advance series and this new
> Mario 64. The games need to be developed for the handheld... porting
> from the console rarely works.
>
> Golden Sun, developed FOR handhelds and has handhelds in mind, as did
> Pokemon, as did Tetris, as does Wario Ware and so on.
>
> I think Sony are approaching the handheld market so very very wrong.
Mon 27/12/04 at 17:39
Regular
The PSP's "scratch resistant" screen means nothing if the system is hit with something or cracks on the floor.

The PSP just isn't a handheld console the way they're supposed to be done.

Where are the TRADITIONAL handheld games, you know the simple, addictive but decent titles.

I don't mean platformers or RPG's or complex shooters... I mean Mario Vs. Donkey Kong, Project Rub, Tetris, Pokemon and Wario Ware.

Games made ESPECIALLY for handhelds.

People criticise MGS: Acid but Konami have it right, don't develop an existing game for the system but develop a game that works well with handhelds. The fact is a proper full scale stealth game is not a handheld title and never will be.

Games that aren't developed "especially" for the handheld has always been criticised. The mario advance series and this new Mario 64. The games need to be developed for the handheld... porting from the console rarely works.

Golden Sun, developed FOR handhelds and has handhelds in mind, as did Pokemon, as did Tetris, as does Wario Ware and so on.

I think Sony are approaching the handheld market so very very wrong.
Mon 27/12/04 at 17:30
Regular
"and PC user"
killer101 wrote:
> nope nintendo ds all the way it has sick ass graphics and cool games
> eg mario 64 and metroid prime fusion.you can picto chat which is
> probably the best thing about it it also looks great with it flip
> down cover and silver finish and fat screen.you cant get much better
> than that.psp is good with its games eg nfspu rivals and gran turismo
> 4 but it hasnt got a protection for its screen and it also looks
> boring.yes the mp3 player is good but its not.anyway i am not being
> biased as i have a playstation 2 and also a nintendo gamecube [which
> i adore thouroly] there is no way the psp can beat the nintendo ds
> the ds is also cheaper.i think!

PSP has a special scratch resistant screen, so it doesnt need a cover.

Price wont make much difference. Does it stop people buying the ipod?.....No. Does it stop people buying the VW Golf?.....No. And it will be the same with PSP.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.