GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSP VS DS"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/12/04 at 18:33
Regular
"object"
there is a dispute over which will be better

it will prob influence my decision being a sony fan

they both have there pros and cons, im suporting the psp cause im a sony fan and it does mp3

the psp is more powerfull and plays mp3 but its battery does not last that long

the DS does have a battery that does not run out as fast and is cheaper, it does have two screens but that does not appeal to me i id rather have one big screen, touch screen will prob not be that good for gaming

DS does look a bit ugly but the nice big screen on the psp will get smashed up cause there is no protection
Thu 30/12/04 at 20:03
Regular
"and PC user"
Which would rather have then (price no object), GBA-SP or DS?

DS is afterall, most similar to PSP in terms of power.
Thu 30/12/04 at 19:58
Regular
Until GBA SP stops selling, I consider it a current generation unit as I'm sure Nintendo do too.

Infact they're still developing for the GBA because of the amount of GBA owners worldwide.
Thu 30/12/04 at 19:57
Regular
"bit of a brain"
No - they're both handhelds
they both have the support of developers
new games are being released for both

How n earth can you say that the PSP and SP aren't direct competitors. That's like saying that the GC and PS2 aren't direct competitors because "they both play games but the PS2 was released a year earlier"
Thu 30/12/04 at 19:54
Regular
"and PC user"
Well you could say Xbox plays games, and so does PS1. But it doesnt work like that. One machine is a generation away from the other. And the same is true of GBA-SP and PSP (or for that matter, DS). Thats not knocking GBA-SP, its simply saying one is of a different generation.
Thu 30/12/04 at 19:46
Regular
The PSP vs SP is a perfectly fine comparison.

The PSP appeals to the gamer who wants to play console games on a handheld machine.

The SP appeals to the gamer who wants to play handheld games on a handheld machine without the cost of a brand new system like PSP or DS.
Thu 30/12/04 at 19:38
Regular
"bit of a brain"
That would be a fine comparison if they were competing for the same market. Which they are.
Thu 30/12/04 at 19:36
Regular
"and PC user"
GBA-SP is so well established, the few (expensive) PSP's that are around dont have much chance of unseating from its position. In any case, I would think the PSP would go head-head with DS, and the GBA-SP would turn into the entry level handheld. You cant really compare PSP to GBA-SP. Thats like saying you want to compare XBox to PS1.
Thu 30/12/04 at 19:33
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Oh you can bet your bottom Euro that NOE will screw everything up somehow. They'll either hike up the price of games to £29.99, increase the price of the console, fail to advertise it adequately or release it after the PSP.

To be honest I don't really care because I have my DS, but I would prefer to be able to buy the games from the UK for the same price as importers offer them (£21.99).

The PSP doesn't offer me anything that I'd want, but if the deadly casual gamer, who doesn't know anything about the PSP except that you can play Gran Turismo and Metal Gear on it, gets his eye on the PSP then the DS is doomed to failure in the UK.
Thu 30/12/04 at 19:25
Regular
If the figures I have seen posted on here today are true, then Game Boy Advance is beating PSP.

We're only in the early stages of the handheld war, however on the first and second fronts, I think it is safe to say Nintendo are winning.

There are two major factors which haven't been determined as of yet:

Europe and Time.
Thu 30/12/04 at 19:10
Regular
"Random by default"
I have opted out of the handheld console market now :( due to money/time restrictions more than anything.

Nintendo has the experience, but Sony has the advertising power. Still a bit iffy cause the DS doesnt involve the word "Gameboy" as people who hate gaming know the word gameboy!.

PSP looks nice, big screen and all but battery life is worrying, but then again many wont even think about this when they buy it. DS has two screens and the touch screen! This i see as something worthwhile to get into handhelds. Its different from normal gamings controls and something you cant really get on home consoles. (MP3 will be advertised and boasted about but as gamers we shouldnt really be focusing on this now should we)

I wouldnt be so sure about Nintendo easily winning this, advertising and image isnt their strong point. Either way i dont think i will be seeing people playing handhelds everywhere i look.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.