GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sex Education: Your Position"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/12/04 at 16:15
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
I have decided to start a discussion on the topic of sex education. This idea has come from reading the "Young Prostitutes" thread and this comment:

xgamer wrote:
>
> They teach them at 10 actually. Isn't that a bit young ?
>
Haldisa wrote:
>
>I dont think so.

Sex Education: Where Do You Stand?

This is my opinion, I would like to hear where you stand in each of these 3 areas:

Teaching in schools

I feel the teaching of sex education in schools leaves a lot to be desired. In my school we had maybe 3 lessons in religion class each year on the subject, all very basic where a baby comes from stuff, nothing at all dealing with the emotional side rather than the physical. In primary school we had one day in our last year dedicated to sex education, it was pointless. It consisted of the woman reading through a couple of stories about teenagers’ dilemmas with their boy/girlfriends and a discussion of what we as a class thought would be the right outcome to the situation. I have heard of schemes run in other schools where parents are more involved in the sex education programme. This I feel, has its positives and its negatives for the child, but should be an option given in more schools to have parent involvement.

Teaching at home

I think this is the vital area for a child to develop a sexual education. I am a firm believer that it should be the parents who teach the child about sexual relationships. Parents, unlike teachers, can give their child something that usually isn’t present in a school situation – two way communication and a bond that hopefully gives the child the confidence to talk when they need to about sexual matters. I feel that one of the more important areas of parenting is dealing with sex education in a positive manner, unfortunately it is an area largely ignored by most parents simply because it can be awkward and uncomfortable sometimes, but surely your child having the right information and the confidence to talk to you when they want or need to is far more important.

What age?

So, at what age should the subject first be broached with a child? Well that does largely depend on the child and when the parent feels they are ready, but sometimes it may be better if the parent helps the child be ready than wait until they feel the child is ready. I think first approaching the subject when the child is young, maybe 8-9 is a positive step, it opens the door before the child has had too much exposure to the schoolyard rumours and gossip, and also starts building the relationship from a young age between parent and child. At this young age obviously not too much info need be given but it also means that as the child grows there doesn’t need to be one time where the child gets an information overload and then it’s never mentioned again.
Mon 06/12/04 at 09:45
Regular
"love to chat"
24 and 29
Mon 06/12/04 at 04:14
Regular
"love to chat"
My kids r grown up now and yes..I have talked to them about all aspects of sex including there preferences..If a child of mine was gay I would be there to support them..As 4 condoms 4 under age children,my view is that I certainly dont condone it but as the young r gonna do it anyway its a moot point as to if its encouragement or is prevention better than cure?
Sun 05/12/04 at 23:56
Regular
"Monochromatic"
How old are your kids if you dont mind me asking and have you spoken to them yet ?
Where do you stand on schools handing out contraception to underage pupils, is it encouragement ?
I'm sure Haldisa(can't get used to that name) will have some questions for you.
Sun 05/12/04 at 23:54
Regular
"love to chat"
As a parent i can discuss anything with my kids and do... they know they r free to ask and i will b sympathetic...best to talk about all aspects like aids and contraception..but also its not just an act its feelings..emotion.. As 4 the right time I feel its when they ask questions about 8 or 9 methinks
Sun 05/12/04 at 15:30
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Any better ?
Sun 05/12/04 at 15:18
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Do you have any idea how hard that is to read?
Sun 05/12/04 at 14:35
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Trish says:
see your reply

Trish says:
i wonder how many parents really would object when faced with facts though

"Call me on the line, call me call me any anytime" says:
More than you think i believe, most parents would believe it's giving the kids encouragement

Trish says:
maybe it is a bit, but whats the harm if theyre using contraception

Because the parents would rather theyre not doing it all

Trish says:
but the fact is some are already, the parents just dont want to recognise that, they cant stop their kids, if the kids want to have sex, they will, protection or not

Trish says:
isnt it better we guide them rather than trying in vain to prevent them?

Yep it is but the fears of the parents will override common sense.
I'm going on how i would have felt aged 14, i would have seen it as encouragement, and i wouldn't have been ready.

Trish says:
i wouldnt see it as encouragement at all, because the message is still there that its better to wait, its up to the person whether they ignore that message or not

I think it's a mixed message if you say wait and then give out contraception, i think there is enough peer pressure in schools without the school giving encouragement as well

Trish says:
but its well documented that in schools where contraception is given out there is a lower rate of pregnancy on average than in schools that dont, isnt that saying something?

Yep to an exstent but i'd also the expect the % of pupils to be having sex is higher as well, accidents happen, you are right but most parents wont see it that way

Trish says:
in many cases it isnt higher at all

Trish says:
its more or less the same

I know you're right

Trish says:
i thought it would be higher too, until i read through a lot of medical journals when writing a piece for Sandra and it turned out that the figures were very similar

Interesting

Trish says:
so it doesnt encourage at all, it just gives them the option of safer sex when they want to have sex

Trish says:
which is why im for contraception dispension in schools

I agree with you but the reason it doesn't happen is the parents

Really we should have had this discussion in the thread

Trish says:
probably

Do you want me to paste it ?

Trish says:
if you want

Ok
Sun 05/12/04 at 14:06
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Sibs wrote:
> Was the "Your Position" part of the title an intentional
> pun...?

Yes, it was :)
Sun 05/12/04 at 14:06
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Fozz wrote:
>
> Argh. its a tricky issue. The school can easily handle the biological
> side, IF kids are ready.

The problem with that is trying to leave it to when an entire class group is ready, where would you say they find a balance in making the decision, leaving it til a majority is ready, leaving it open to individual choice to take part in the class maybe?

>Maybe if the kids choose WHEN theyre ready
> to learn about it, through internet resources accesed through the
> school.

It would be a good idea, but my qualms about this would again be the lack of active communication with an adult.
Sun 05/12/04 at 14:04
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Haldisa wrote:
> What does everyone else think of schools giving out contraception?
> Personally I feel it is a positive step with some age groups, because
> lets face it, promoting chastity isnt working when they take that
> road, so why not promote safe sex instead, and give teenagers the
> message that safe sex is of ultimate importance when beginning a
> relationship.

Excellent idea, unfortunatly the parents object to it and would rather the school promote chastity.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.