GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sex Education: Your Position"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/12/04 at 16:15
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
I have decided to start a discussion on the topic of sex education. This idea has come from reading the "Young Prostitutes" thread and this comment:

xgamer wrote:
>
> They teach them at 10 actually. Isn't that a bit young ?
>
Haldisa wrote:
>
>I dont think so.

Sex Education: Where Do You Stand?

This is my opinion, I would like to hear where you stand in each of these 3 areas:

Teaching in schools

I feel the teaching of sex education in schools leaves a lot to be desired. In my school we had maybe 3 lessons in religion class each year on the subject, all very basic where a baby comes from stuff, nothing at all dealing with the emotional side rather than the physical. In primary school we had one day in our last year dedicated to sex education, it was pointless. It consisted of the woman reading through a couple of stories about teenagers’ dilemmas with their boy/girlfriends and a discussion of what we as a class thought would be the right outcome to the situation. I have heard of schemes run in other schools where parents are more involved in the sex education programme. This I feel, has its positives and its negatives for the child, but should be an option given in more schools to have parent involvement.

Teaching at home

I think this is the vital area for a child to develop a sexual education. I am a firm believer that it should be the parents who teach the child about sexual relationships. Parents, unlike teachers, can give their child something that usually isn’t present in a school situation – two way communication and a bond that hopefully gives the child the confidence to talk when they need to about sexual matters. I feel that one of the more important areas of parenting is dealing with sex education in a positive manner, unfortunately it is an area largely ignored by most parents simply because it can be awkward and uncomfortable sometimes, but surely your child having the right information and the confidence to talk to you when they want or need to is far more important.

What age?

So, at what age should the subject first be broached with a child? Well that does largely depend on the child and when the parent feels they are ready, but sometimes it may be better if the parent helps the child be ready than wait until they feel the child is ready. I think first approaching the subject when the child is young, maybe 8-9 is a positive step, it opens the door before the child has had too much exposure to the schoolyard rumours and gossip, and also starts building the relationship from a young age between parent and child. At this young age obviously not too much info need be given but it also means that as the child grows there doesn’t need to be one time where the child gets an information overload and then it’s never mentioned again.
Tue 07/12/04 at 19:12
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Novocaine wrote:
> For a christian (which i presume you are) you're very judgemental.
> People get caught, mistakes are made, irresponsible yes, shlut not
> necessarily.

Well said.
Tue 07/12/04 at 17:55
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Fozz wrote:
> A girl in my year got pregnant before she'd finished secondary. shlut.

For a christian (which i presume you are) you're very judgemental.
People get caught, mistakes are made, irresponsible yes, shlut not necessarily.
Tue 07/12/04 at 16:49
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
A friend of mine had her first kid at 15, her second at 17 and her third at 19. She may have been young, but she handled motherhood very well and had lots of support, her first kid wasnt planned, but the second and third were as she always wanted 3 kids and once she'd had the first she decided she didnt want huge age gaps betweem first and second. They all have the same father.
Tue 07/12/04 at 15:33
Regular
"Copyright (c) 2004"
It depends on the person a lot. Most of my friends want (/wanted) to have sex ASAP, rather than wait. The fact that they havent yet just shows how cool my friends are. A girl in my year got pregnant before she'd finished secondary. shlut.
Tue 07/12/04 at 13:57
Regular
"long time"
your very welcome
Tue 07/12/04 at 13:55
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
No offence taken! Thanks :)
Tue 07/12/04 at 13:54
Regular
"long time"
you sound older than that ( no offence ment ) sounds like you got a good old wise head on your sholders !
Tue 07/12/04 at 13:51
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Im 22 sweet tooth
Tue 07/12/04 at 13:35
Regular
"long time"
can i ask how old are you Haldisa ?
Tue 07/12/04 at 13:29
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
I wholeheartedly agree with what Light said.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.