GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Night Shift"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 02/12/04 at 17:53
Regular
Starting working the night shift for Tesco tomorrow, 10pm to 6am in the morning, Thursday to Saturday. Uh oh.

Haven't changed my sleeping habits yet, guess I'll just fall into it somehow. Naturally I won't be around much on SR anymore, not that I am now anyway, but er, yeah.

Anyone had experience doing night shifts? I'm only doing it for the higher wage, determined to make as much money as I can so I can start up a business (want to run a cinema, or a record shop, but I think the cinema is more likely to succeed).. still wondering about animation, but not as a career anymore, just a hobby.

So yeah, moan about your jobs here, might be interesting.
Fri 03/12/04 at 18:01
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Ta, I was just interested because I will soon probably be looking for a new job.
I'm surprised it's that much to be honest.

I should imagine the work hours could have an adverse effect on your social life though. Up very early, physical job and so it must leave you quite tired. Nice to have the afternoons to yourself, mind.
Fri 03/12/04 at 17:57
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
**Edited now that EB's had his answer**
Fri 03/12/04 at 17:40
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Don't want to pry, but what is the money like as a postman?
Fri 03/12/04 at 14:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Be a postman. You start at 5am but you're done by 11-12 and the money's good.
Plus you get fit and immune to the cold.
Bad points?
Dogs hate you, Joe Public is a moron and looks annoyed when you bang on their door at 07:30am with a recorded delivery and say "Well you asked for that to be sent mate" when they blink at you like a new-born kitten.

But don't be sensitive and gentle, you'll get raped and thrown in a skip by the bigger boys.
Fri 03/12/04 at 06:33
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Ms NY wrote:
> I bet your body will go through some extreme changes.

He's not going through puberty, although most of his colleagues probably will be.
Fri 03/12/04 at 00:02
Regular
"Monochromatic"
* Bursts into song *
"Gonna be a long night
It's gonna be all right
On the nightshift"

I appologise unreservedly

Hmm nightshift, i found that i was fine with it to start off with but after 4 weeks i was dead on my feet, it wasn't so much the hours (7pm to 7am) it was that it took me 2 hours to get to work and two hours to get back if i was lucky, i couldn't adapt to it for some reason despite being a nightowl, if the job keeps you busy then you dont need to bring anything to keep you entertained, if not it's essential, i used to play pool all night.
Thu 02/12/04 at 23:41
Regular
It won't be too bad in a supermarket - nice warm work environment, lots of opportunity for capering around on pallette trucks and roll cages. the ability to have anything available in the shop for your dinner etc.

I once had to work night shifts in a freezing cold factory, standing in one spot for pretty much 8 hours, folding bits of card and sticking them in large plastic cases, surrounded by people who could hardly speak english. let's just say I was more than happy when the agency told me the night shift was being withdrawn. *shudders*
Thu 02/12/04 at 23:35
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:
> The bad points :
>
> You meet lots of weirdos

You got one in the wrong category.
Thu 02/12/04 at 23:23
Regular
I've done night shifts several times.

The good points :

Plenty of sleep to be had
Not much to spend your money on during the week
Higher Wages
You get to laugh at other people getting up for work when you get home

The bad points :

Your body never completely adjusts, you feel tired a lot
Night work seems to last longer despite being the same amount of hours
You meet lots of weirdos
Your body clock is up the wall for weekends
It's quite a lonely existence.

------

In honesty, I wouldn't go back to them. no way.
Thu 02/12/04 at 22:31
Regular
"gsybe you!"
My friend works for an airline in stores. 4 nights on, 4 days off, 4 days on, 4 days off, 4 nights on, so on.

He gets pretty much screwed somewhere in there.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.