GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Night Shift"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 02/12/04 at 17:53
Regular
Starting working the night shift for Tesco tomorrow, 10pm to 6am in the morning, Thursday to Saturday. Uh oh.

Haven't changed my sleeping habits yet, guess I'll just fall into it somehow. Naturally I won't be around much on SR anymore, not that I am now anyway, but er, yeah.

Anyone had experience doing night shifts? I'm only doing it for the higher wage, determined to make as much money as I can so I can start up a business (want to run a cinema, or a record shop, but I think the cinema is more likely to succeed).. still wondering about animation, but not as a career anymore, just a hobby.

So yeah, moan about your jobs here, might be interesting.
Fri 03/12/04 at 20:43
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Well, that's true.

However, I'm only 18 and run a shop bigger than any erm other Spar-esque shop in my town.
Fri 03/12/04 at 20:41
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Your shop is full of old people.

You lose by default.
Fri 03/12/04 at 20:40
Regular
"Excommunicated"
My official job title is 'Supervisor'... I run the shop baby.

Oh yes... I'm better than you all.
Fri 03/12/04 at 20:38
Regular
Hour and a half to go, I'm gonna be sleeping on my feet.

Wondered about being a postman actually, but I think my area's a little too small for any more of them.. how did you apply anyway? Just walked into the post office and demand to become a postie? It's how I'd imagine, anyway.

Nine hours of stacking shelves. It's for the money, it's for the money..
Fri 03/12/04 at 20:36
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Postman is an ideal job for me, but lack of weekend work makes it impossible.
Fri 03/12/04 at 20:34
Regular
"Excommunicated"
They should use you in an advert to attract new posties.

The worst part time job I had was in Safeway. 5-11am on Saturday and Sunday mornings for 5 months. At £3.45 an hour, two hours worth went on a taxi to get there.

Standing there in the supermarket, alone, cold whilst beginning to sober up from the 'night before'. Cleaning up cream/milk gunk that had been spilt the night before and was now stuck in the corner of the refrigerator.

I do enjoy telling everyone how hard it was for me though.
Fri 03/12/04 at 20:23
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Most definitely.
I simply can't afford to be a full-time student, I have too many bills to pay, so I shall be doing an OU course instead.
And being a postman allows me to recieve a nice full-time wage yet have my afternoons free to do the degree work.
So it'll take 5 yrs, big deal. I wasted 4 at the fragrance house so I can do 5 to pursue something I want to do with no problems.

And apart from anything else, being a Postman is the best job I've had since I started work 15yrs ago.

No annoying bosses, no politics, no discussions of soap operas, no whispering about so-and-so, no taking 1hr for lunch and worrying you aren't back at your desk within the alloted 60 mins, no rush-hour anything, no spending winter daylight time in front of a PC, decent wage for a job that actually makes me feel like I've achieved something instead of punching keyboard buttons and seeing no end result.
You're your own boss, nobody standing over you.
Work hard and you can finish early and have the rest of your day to yourself. Today, for instance, I was finished by 10am. A quick trip to the depot to drop my recorded card off and then that was my lot for the day.
Sure you have to get up early, but you're done by the time everybody else is staring at the computer clock and thinking "Only an hour till lunch" and waiting for "the sandwich man" to arrive.
Keeps you fit as hell, and gives you legs like a frikking rugby player and neck like Henry Rollins. Which, strangely, the "laydeez" find attractive rather than some beergutted, wearing a shirt untucked to disguise the spread, layabout.
AND I SMOKE!!!!!!

Best. Job. Ever.
Until I become a teacher and turn 4-11yr olds into mini-Goatboys.
Fri 03/12/04 at 18:15
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
i’M 20!!1!Twenty!!

There are parts of my job that I love, but they are few and far between. The lowest, crappy, most stressful things to happen in every person’s life are my bread and butter. I hate a lot of the way the police service is run and the bureaucracy. The reasons I'm staying in are not the same as why I joined and so forth. I’ve got all kinds of things going through my head at the moment regarding work, so don’t think I’m blowing you off by giving such a short answer, it’s just that I still need to sort it out myself before I know what to write…see, even that made no sense.
I’ve got some meeting with welfare people at work next week to talk some things through, but if I ask myself the question, “can I see myself doing this for the next 28.5 years”, the answer is a un-reserved no. The question of whether I’d “want” to just brings screaming.

Are you still going down the teacher line in the long run?
Fri 03/12/04 at 18:07
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Start at 5am, get the walk ready and out the door by 7:30-8am usually.
Quicker you get round the quicker you can go home.

The social life does tend to suffer a wee bit, I find myself usually falling asleep by about 8pm unless I have a couple hours in the afternoon.
But I'll never go back to 9-5 sitting in an office staring at the internet to pass my day, big routine balls to that lifestyle again.

Don't like being Teen Cop then?
Fri 03/12/04 at 18:03
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Goatboy wrote:
> Be a postman. You start at 5am but you're done by 11-12 and the
> money's good.

How much of that time involves letter delivery?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.