GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft, X-box, and their foreseeable failure"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/05/01 at 19:45
Regular
Question: Why have Microsoft entered the console market?

Answer: Because they think they will be able to take it over like that, make a load of cash and be one step nearer to owning your brain.

I think MS should just stick to what it's good at. No, not PC OSs, as anyone who have used Linux will tell you, but small apps like IE, Outlook Express (not 2000) and Excel. Maybe Word. Everything else is just total bloat. Did you know, that laser printers cause a miniscule amount of Ozone (toxic). If you were to print out the Windows source code, you kill half the amazon rain forest?

Anyway, Microsoft are cheating. The X-box is using lastest third party hardware, and will be way expensive. And, have you seen the size of the thing! Basic unwritten console law states a console must have a max size of an A4 piece of paper.

Also, MS have no heart, because all they want to do is conquer the market. I believe Sony, Nintendo and Sega actually enjoy making millions of people happy.

Impressive as the specs are, I believe the X-box will fail. Let's face it.

a) It's a small PC

c) It's Microsoft

d) It runs off Windows, for god's sake!!!

opinions?
Sat 12/05/01 at 09:44
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
DarkPrincess wrote:
> I think ultimately, it won't do good because people like
> familiarity. I believe they'll choose Nintendo, Sony or Sega over
> Microsoft. Of course, Playstation broke the mold and was
> successful.

I'm just thinking back to the poor old Jaguar.

But... no one chose Sega (or at least not enough people to make it worth continuing to build DC's), even though it was THE most familiar... ???
Sat 12/05/01 at 07:52
I think ultimately, it won't do good because people like familiarity. I believe they'll choose Nintendo, Sony or Sega over Microsoft. Of course, Playstation broke the mold and was successful.

I'm just thinking back to the poor old Jaguar.
Sat 12/05/01 at 01:10
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Ok i'll let you off ;-p Yup I'm off too now - gotta be up for the F.A Cup Final !!!! :-))

COME ON LIVERPOOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sat 12/05/01 at 01:08
Regular
I'm off now as well.

Cheers for your help turbonutter!
Sat 12/05/01 at 01:03
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Hmmm, I wouldn't reccommend win2k. yer RAM's fine, but processor... Also, most programs need separate versions for win2k.

Wait till you get your 800mhz. Run win2k on that, keep yer 400 on win9x

savatt:
"I have had a load of PC games crash on me, but my PC is poo" or something

Anyway, I'm off to bed now.

Thank you, and good night
Sat 12/05/01 at 00:59
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
turbonutter wrote:
> Your Honour wrote:
> I never mentioned system
> performance

Sorry, savatt wrote that

Did I !? :-\
Sat 12/05/01 at 00:59
Regular
128MB RAM, sorry.
Sat 12/05/01 at 00:58
Regular
AMD K6-2 400, 126MG RAM.

Am going to upgrade to at least a 800MHz Athlon though.

Will probably upgrade the 2 together, try and save some hassle.
Sat 12/05/01 at 00:57
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It uses an insane amount of sys res. What's your PC stats?
Sat 12/05/01 at 00:56
Regular
Hmmmmm, looks like i wont be getting XP then......

I've got a version Win2000 that i'll install, i think i'm going to wait 'til my exams are out of the way first though...

If i'm happy with 2000 i'll probably stick to it to be honest.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.