GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"EXTRA GAD - Online Console Wars"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/10/04 at 23:33
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
This is quite a serious Extra Gameaday Competition

The challenge is to write an interesting piece about online gaming as:
XBOX Live Experience - Pro's and Cons
or
PS2 Networking Experience - Pro's and Cons
or
PS2 Networking vs XBOX Live - Comparison

The winner will be the best entry (in the opinion of the judges) submitted before midnight on Sunday November 14th.

Your entry will be judged on the basis of concise, readable, well written information. i.e. it must be written like a review. Try to include your experiences from initial interest and sign up through to full use.

All entries, whether they are the winner or not, may be used elsewhere on our site. The best entries will probably appear on a subsection of the UKconsoles site.

DO NOT COPY ANY WORK. These must be original.

I recommend that you save your work into a word processing document before entering it in case you want to work on it later.

Good Luck Chaps and Chapesses
Page:
Thu 04/11/04 at 23:17
Regular
""
I don't particularly mind, if I want a game I borrow it, or find it second hand somewhere. But I thought that generally people who come to the SR forums join SR to buy their games. Also the thought of GAD's and EGAD's and FAD's brought me to this site and the company. A competition that's accesible to everyone brings more customers, surely? Nicht war?

EDIT: This was in reply to Edgy's post a while back.
Thu 04/11/04 at 22:22
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
Network Gaming Experiences

Because of my lack of an XBOX, I can only comment on Playstation2 online play.

Playstation2 Online Play

Initial Interest

I ahve owned a Playstation2 since its launch date, and for the first 2 or so years, I had no interest or anticipation of online play. I was content to sit through Tony Hawks and the constant dribble of First-person Shooters without the thought of online gaming on my agenda.

I read few of the articles on Online Play available, all with no real interest. It always came up, but the answer would always be, "nah, it's not worth it."
The standard of gaming was at a reasonable level so that I didn't need the extra plug of online play. But over the last few months, the quality of games produced just seemed to drop inexplicably, and I found myself yearning for an extension, a way to make gaming great again. Online play came immediately to mind. When I looked with interest once again into the prices and activities available, Network Gaming seemed like a genuinely entertaining idea.

So, I ordered my package from Amazon, and waited patiently.

First Experiences

On my first day of online play, after going through the mind-numbing regestration process, I was ready to play Burnout 3. The first thing that struck me was the amazing size of it. I had expected a huge setup, but as I looked around, I was astounded by the lack of people playing. It took me a good 15 minutes to get into my first race. And I was instantly disappointed. I may as well have been playing against CPU opponents, the only difference were the little names above their cars like "Ice UK" and "Stu72". Don't get me wrong, Burnout 3 is a very enjoyable game, but the online mode doesn't add much at all to the gaming experience.

Games

I am disappointed by the amount of effort put into online play on the vast majority of games. Developers just like to make it that big more broad, and to stand up with pride and see a little blue line on the front of their box. I would gladly pay a higher fee if they put a little more effort in these networking options. These are games like Burnout 3, and are a big disappointment to the console and their genre.

Here is a full list of my online-capable games:

Burnout 3
Tony Hawks 4
Tony Hawks Underground 1&2
SOCOM 1&2
Everquest: Online Adventures

Not very many as you can see, but I have been put off buying games with bitpart online modes, and much prefer the games that concentrate on the online gaming. Tony Hawks games on the other hand are genuinely brilliant online. With a couple of online-only modes on the games, as well as the Face Mapping and Downloadable Features make this a valuable part of anyone's online gaming collection.

Other Online Gamers

Here lies a major problem with online gaming. Many gamers are complete spoil-sports and have no sense of humour whatsoever. (Those who frequent in the Sony forum will have seen my distaste for some of these people.

There are different types of online gamers that I have come across:

Discreet Gamers

These just play for the fun of gaming, and are always game for a game, and rarely comment using the chat option.

Space-wasters

These enjoy filling the chat space with pointless or insulting messages. Boot on sight, and if they're the host of a room you're playing in, run for your life!

Cheaters

I'd like to say these don't exist, but upon viewing the playing of some during these games, I can sadly say they do. You might think I'm just whinging because they're a lot better than me, but I get suspicious when they're flying near my face.

Lonely Gamers

These only play to start a relationship with someone. Stay away from these at all cost, they're not good for your health.

Lag and Poor Connectivity

This is a major factor in Online Gaming. Freezes are common, even as much as the dreaded your connection has timed out. This can be severely frustrating, and can put you off for months. The delays as one person loses their connection can be as large as 10 minutes in some cases.

Tournaments and Ranking

This is where Network Gaming shines. Or at least, where it should shine. After consistently logging into Central Station, I have not come across a touranment in over 3 months, and only on Formula 1 2004 at that. This is not acceptable, and clearly something that should be sorted out by Sony, providing they want online play to be a success.

Ranking on games is great fun, moving up, moving down, laughing at the person with no life and 10th place. At least, it would be, but it simply doesn't exist on some games, other than a high scores list.

Oveview

Network Gaming has massive potential, but Sony need to put more effort in if I am to declare it a success. The amount of faults is truly astounding, and although Network Gaming has its pros, it can't beat a game with friends. I don't regret taking my PS2 online, as it has given me a truly valuable opinion and experience, but there will have to be serious changes for me to seriously consider taking it up as a more regular form of enertainment.

Gavirolax
Thu 04/11/04 at 22:14
Regular
Edgy wrote:
> Aww...he's so cute when he's miserable ain't he.

omfg wots ur obseshun wiv me!!1

Shut up you ignoramus.

I made a valid point and plenty of people share the same view.
Go to hell.
Oh, wait, you're already in Wales.

*weep*
Thu 04/11/04 at 21:31
Regular
Nice entry :D I should've waited until the 14th before putting my entry up methinks :P

Thu 04/11/04 at 21:08
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
PS2 Network Experience

I’ve never played Xbox live so even trying to write about that or compare it to PS2 online would be stupid, very stupid.

I do however know a fair bit about the PS2’s network gaming.

Well where to start, well first on most folks mind is the cost. Pretty much every game that features online play is free to play – your only cost will be the initial cost of the PS2, game and a network adapter. You also require a broadband internet connection. So lets just say that for now you are a broadband owning PS2 gamer with a handful of games which feature ‘net play’. Your only cost would be the network adapter (available through special reserve for only £ 19.99 ).

Most people connect via a router or directly from their modem to the PS2, for some neither of these are conveinient and instead they opt to connect through their PC using the Internet Connection Sharing option, most find this tricky to set up and it means you have to leave your computer idle when playing online to get the best connection when gaming.

Setting up is simple, give a few details about yourself and some from your PS2 and it should connect you automatically. Have problems and Sony’s support will gladly help you out via their phone service or through the network gaming forum on their website. You may also find some helpful folk on the special reserve PS1 & PS2 forums.
Once you've set up the network adapter just use the central station disk to check out the latest news and register a gaming handle.
Then its time to get gaming...

Games
In terms of online play the PS2 online network supports quite a few games, if I'm being honest there are some really pants ones and some rather good ones.
My favourite so far has been the socom games, hugely popular and the ability to play clan matches against other folk. It also features voice chat so you can talk to your team mates during the game, allows you to plan attacks and also have a laugh during the game.
Although having kids screaming down the mic of singing/talking random crap can sometimes spoil the game.

A few of the current games that are playable online:
Socom 1 & 2
Star Wars Battlefronts
Need For Speed Underground 1 & 2
Tony Hawks Underground
Midnight Club 2
Destruction Derby Arenas
Hardware Online
Everquest
Burnout 3

There are loads more.....

Clans
Clans are fairly common in online gaming. Some games allow you to create or join a clan - just a group of people/friends who like to play the game and want to take part in group matches and try to do well. Games like socom/socom2 allow matches between to teams of 8 players, there is also leagues set up for clans to allow you to organize and play clan matches regularly. A good way to make some friends and also to get a decent game each time you go on to play.

My Online Experiences
I've been playing a few PS2 online games since the online network gaming launched. Socom 1 & 2 mostly but from time to time I've spent a while playing star wars battlefronts and Need for speed Underground although sadly cheaters ruined the online experience from NFSU.

I joined the Virus UK (VUK) clan on Socom2 a while ago. Good players who are all good to chat too as well, play quite regularly and don't take the game too seriously which is a good thing for me. Have had loads of great matches and some pants ones but its definitely prolonged the gameplay of the game - something more games could do with having.

Playing games online is even better when you get to know people and can arrange to meet at certain times to have a game, means you know there is no cheating and your likely to get a decent game.
Clan matches can be enjoyable too, teaming up with clan members and planning how to win is good and even better when things pay off and you win the match.

Before hand I had played the odd PC game online and enjoyed things so starting off online with the PS2 wasn't too bad, had made some friends on the Sony forums of special reserves ukchatfroums.com and had arranged to meet them on socom. Started a clan and played quite often - usually just for a laugh. See who could get the most kills or kill themselves in style. New folk joined and made a few friends who still meet up online on other games from time to time.
After a while online play for me slowed down and I didn't play too often, cheats took the fun out of most of the games for a while. Started playing socom2 online when it came out and I'm happy to say I play it most weeks when I find the free time and I plan on getting a few online games that are due out soon so will likely have plenty of online gaming to keep me occupied for a while. :-)

Beta Testing
Another good feature of the PS2 Online gaming is the chance to become a beta tester, although they have already selected all the testers they require they still from time to time select a few more to test the latest online games before they are released. This means you get to try some great online titles first and let Sony know of any faults etc.

Sadly though online gaming is not as perfect as it may seem, there are a few issues most should be aware off.

Cheaters
Near enough every game has them, watching guys zoom by you on Need For Speed Underground or fill you with bullets from across the map on SOCOM just ruins the game from the start. Many games allow codes to be used to allow gamers to cheat so straight away the element of fair competition is stripped from you and you are pretty much guarenteed to loose. Not much fun for anyone.
Similar to cheating are what people call "Glitching".
Its where people utilize some errors in the games coding, like hiding in walls etc. Again this ruins the game for most.

Sony are trying to cut down on it and in some cases are removing peoples central station accounts if they are caught cheating in certain games.

Lag
Lag is where the game seems to jump around a little due to the game information not being updated enough.
Although you need broadband to play the PS2 online it dosn't actually take into account your download or upload rates so you find many folkare using their PC's at the same time to download things. This slows down most games and for some makes them totally unplayable.
Star Wars battlefronts is a prime example of this. To Host a room you need a good upload rate, something most standard broadband service providers don't have. You find the majority of rooms on this game to suffer from some lag, and at times your character will seem to just randomly move large distances without any fluid movement.

These are the main problems but they can be sorted.
You tend to find that once you play online for a while you get to know people - you know who is fun to join in with and which folk are known to cheat etc. May even find yourself joining a clan.
This is when you know you can join and play a game where nobody will cheat and that everyone is there for the same reason - to have fun.

It is also worth mentioning here about what's instore for the PS2 online in the not to distant future. Some massive games that *fingers crossed* will turn out as good as they hype would lead us to believe.

Killzone
You'd have to be sleeping or living on a deserted island not to have heard of this one.

Raw Vs Smackdown
There isn't many things better than smashing a grown man over the head with a steel chair, yes the comedy antics of the WWE has lead to some very succesful games, add the element of online gaming and the steel chair smashing will be happening to folk all over the world, should play well online and lead to hours and hours of fun with your own uniquly created superstar causing havok in the ring.

GT- Online version
The sad news came that GT4 will not feature an online mode, but an online version will be available sometime next year. So you will get to race online at somepoint, just not sure when.

Likely to be a lot more online games out too for the PS2.

More and more people are going online to play, if you are thinking about it then hopefully this has made your mind up for you and shown that it is well worth it. Hopefully will see you online at somepoint for a game or two. :0)
Thu 04/11/04 at 21:08
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
Ali, tags are:

Thu 04/11/04 at 21:02
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Doh, got some tags wrong. Will repost :-)
Thu 04/11/04 at 20:29
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
va va voom sounds like French.

va as in il/elle va

voom as in universally speaking.

voom boom zoom loom doom
Thu 04/11/04 at 20:25
Regular
Mav wrote:
> Hey Bobby, what's the french for va va voom?

I felt sooo much like replying to that with,

"your mum"

It may be a sad joke, but I found it amusing :D
Thu 04/11/04 at 20:20
Regular
Hey Bobby, what's the french for va va voom?
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.