GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"EXTRA GAD - Online Console Wars"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/10/04 at 23:33
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
This is quite a serious Extra Gameaday Competition

The challenge is to write an interesting piece about online gaming as:
XBOX Live Experience - Pro's and Cons
or
PS2 Networking Experience - Pro's and Cons
or
PS2 Networking vs XBOX Live - Comparison

The winner will be the best entry (in the opinion of the judges) submitted before midnight on Sunday November 14th.

Your entry will be judged on the basis of concise, readable, well written information. i.e. it must be written like a review. Try to include your experiences from initial interest and sign up through to full use.

All entries, whether they are the winner or not, may be used elsewhere on our site. The best entries will probably appear on a subsection of the UKconsoles site.

DO NOT COPY ANY WORK. These must be original.

I recommend that you save your work into a word processing document before entering it in case you want to work on it later.

Good Luck Chaps and Chapesses
Page:
Mon 15/11/04 at 10:33
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
How are we supposed to beat him if he has both...
Mon 15/11/04 at 10:29
Regular
"serenity now!"
I think we should try and make it 11:59 when we announce the deadline, just to try and stop the confusion. The deadline was the midnight just gone, even though that's more Monday than Sunday. But anyway...

Crumble's entry is the winner!

Not a whole load of entries, though I think Crumble's would have been hard to beat even if there were a lot more. Very deserving of an EGAD.

Thanks to everyone who entered, we'll decide what to do with the entries over the next few days.
Mon 15/11/04 at 09:43
Regular
I'd assume the deadline was the midnight just gone, allowing entries on the Sunday to be included.

But I don't work at SR, and didn't enter anyway, therefore I don't really care
Sun 14/11/04 at 22:16
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Crumble wrote:
> I'm a generally sad person, you see.

And you missed the deadline ahahahaha.
Sun 14/11/04 at 21:48
Regular
caveat wrote:
> crumble you sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
> sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
> sad sad sad sad sad person
>
> y did u write all that????

I'm a generally sad person, you see.
Sun 14/11/04 at 21:47
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
swander wrote:
> "The winner will be the best entry (in the opinion of the judges)
> submitted before midnight on Sunday November 14th."

Yes, but midnight on Sunday November 14th has already passed. It was this morning.

Therefore all entries on the 14th won't be accepted, unless SR change the rules of course. Which I think they should.
Sun 14/11/04 at 21:32
Regular
crumble you sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad person

y did u write all that????
Sun 14/11/04 at 21:30
Regular
XBOX LIVE vs. PS2 NETWORK PLAY

Introduction

Welcome to my guide to the wonderful world of online gaming. Yes, I know what you feeling like. You’re tired of constantly tearing shreds out of your mates on your games, and you’re looking for a challenge. You’re feeling hyped up and ready to take on the world, and thanks to Xbox Live and PS2 Networking that dream can be for filled. Whether you have an Xbox, a PS2 or even both, this guide will explain to you the two online setups these consoles house, which are, as we all know, Xbox Live and PS2 Networking, and I will also compare the two to find out which online setup is the better deal. So sit back, have a cup of tea and relax while I take you through the wonderful world of online gaming…

Xbox Live

Getting Started

Right, so if you’re falling for Full Spectrum, praising PGR2 or are feeling heart-throb for Halo 2, you’re going to hook up to Xbox Live. To get online with your Xbox, follow these simple steps:

Before you can do anything you must have access to BT Broadband. Xbox Live will not work with Dial-up connection or any other Broadband supplier; only BT. So, if you don’t already have BT Broadband, get on the phone to order a package.

Right, once you’re on BT Broadband you’ll need to get the equipment to setup Live. You’ll need to purchase a modem/router, connection cables, a DSL filter and obviously you’ll need your Xbox. BT Broadband should offer you all that equipment (obviously not the Xbox) with the Broadband package.

Once you’re hooked up to Broadband there are two ways to connect your Xbox to the internet; either with your PC or using a modem/router:

To connect up with a PC, make sure you have a compatible Broadband card installed and a spare port so you can then plug in a crossover cable and get your Xbox online. With that done, set up your computer for access to Broadband as you would normally do, and make note of the IP number and DNS address on your computer.

To connect via a modem/router you will need a PC/Mac. Connect your phone line and your computer to the modem/router. Once you’re plugged in, set up Broadband as normal, but this way you won’t need your IP or DNS numbers.

Right, we’re getting there. Now with your Xbox hooked up to the internet, you’re going to need to install the Xbox Live program. You’ll need to purchase an Xbox Live starter kit, which can be purchased from any games retailers, including Special Reserve. You’re starter kit will consist of an Xbox Live disc to install the program, and also a USB headset and receiver so that you can communicate online. And you also can’t go any further without a credit/debit card to pay the fee, so be very nice to your mother for a few days, or get her drunk and ask her before she collapses on the floor.

Now that you have all the equipment, install the Xbox Live software with the disc, and then start entering your details on your Live account. I know the excitement is probably bursting out of you at this present moment, but take your time when entering your details.

With that done all you need to do now is configure your Xbox. Usually you can leave the settings of default and enter them, but you may need to enter your IP or DNS details, depending on what route you took to hooking up to the internet. And once that’s done, sit back, let out a huge scream, wipe the puddles of sweat from the floor and enjoy one of the most thrilling online gaming experiences to date!

General Information

Right, you’re hooked up and you’re practically dying to destroy some poor, innocent little foreigner on PGR2. But don’t go rushing in. There’s a lot of information to take in about Live, so perform some Yoga to calm yourself down and read the following information to give you some general knowledge about Live.

So, Xbox Live is basically your passport to a world of online gaming and communication. To start with, Xbox Live will cost you around £39.99 a year, and that will give you full access to Live 24/7, 365 days a year, meaning you can whip you fellow Brits during the day and at 1.00am sneak out of bed and tear the Yanks and Aussis to shreds.

You’re communication will come in the form of a USB Headset that comes with the starter kit. Yep, you don’t need to use a keyboard, that as we all know only offers slow communication and you can’t play and type at the same time. But with the headset you can communicate via talking all you want whilst playing. It can feel daunting at first, but you’ll get used to it. The only problem is sometimes you’ll encounter morons that will scream at you using the headset. These people are mentally challenged, so just ignore and terminate the game if needs be. But don’t worry about them, most of the time you’ll play against normal people.

Unless they’re American

Right, so when you’re one Live you’re given some neat little features that help you choose who you play. You’ll have access to a friends list, which you will then add people who you enjoyed playing against. Your list will then tell you if they’re online, and if they are, what they are then playing. You can then invite the people you want from your list into your lobby to play the game you want.

Xbox Live will also let you set up your own rooms to play against people, and also let you set up tournaments for large numbers of players. What I also find very helpful is the Optimatch set up, which allows you to choose someone to play against of your own skill. By entering rank and type of game, you can be pitted against people of you own skill for a more challenging and fun experience; no one likes getting thrashed do they.

But Live doesn’t just offer online gaming. Communication is a major part of the world of Live. Take a trip to the Xbox Live community for all the latest news of Xbox Live, games and other major events. But if you’re looking to communicate with people across the globe, set up Live without any game inserted into the console, and you can talk to any of your Live friends if they are currently online, allowing you to arrange games and the like, or just have a little chit chat. Plus, with your own rank and gamertag, you can compare yourself against other Live users and aim to get higher up the table.

And you don’t just have to buy Live enabled games to play online. Some games will allow you to download content from Live which will give you access to new features, such as stages and characters, for you to play the game normally.

Games

Right, so you’re all hooked up and rearing to go. But what games are worth getting for some frantic online fun? Well, for a start not all games are compatible for Live. Look for the ‘Live enabled’ sign at the top of the game’s box to see if it can be played on Live. At the present moment there are over 100 games on Live, and counting. But if you’re really stumped and haven’t a clue what games are worth it, I’d suggest the following:

We’ll start with FPS. There are loads on Live, as shooting games are very popular in multiplayer. Counter-Strike and XIII offer a pretty intense experience, and the Tom Clancy range are brilliant fun, especially Rainbow Six 3 and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow. Make sure you also get your hands on Halo 2 and Doom 3 which will undoubtedly be superb.

If we’re talking adventure games, Ninja Gaiden offers a pretty good fighting experience, plus titles like Crimson Skies and Full Spectrum are well worth picking up as their tactical play is brilliant online.

In terms of fighting, I’d recommend the very stylish Capcom vs. SNK, and the famous fighting titles of Mortal Kombat and Dead or Alive.

If sports are you’re thing, then EA’s selection of sports titles could tempt you, especially the excellent FIFA 2005. Amped 2 is also a blast, and XSN’s sports series is just as good as EA’s, with the likes of Links, NFL Fever and Top Spin offering very challenging and thrilling matches.

And what about Racing? Well, the brilliant Project Gotham Racing 2 is one of the most popular Live games even now, and Burnout 3 never fails to get the adrenaline pumping. The rally titles Rallisport Challenge 2 and Colin McRae 2005 are good fun, and Moto GP 2 is cracking fun on Live.

Verdict

So, all in all I must give it to the boys at Microsoft. Live is a fantastic online set up that allows players to enjoy their games to the full and offers many other fun features all for just around 40 quid. But can Live match up to the PS2s online setup; Network Play?

PS2 Network Play

Getting Started

Right, no we’ll turn our attentions to the PS2. So, if you’re fanatic about F1, faint at the thought of FIFA or scream at the sight of SOCOM 2, you’re going to hook up to Network Play. To get online with your PS2, follow these simple steps:

Now the setup with the PS2 is different to the Xbox. As Network Play isn’t a subscription, you only need to get hooked up with Broadband and then you can start putting in your details and playing games online. Before you can do anything you must have access to BT Broadband. PS2 Network Play will not work with Dial-up connection or any other Broadband supplier; only BT. So, if you don’t already have BT Broadband, get on the phone to order a package.

Right, once you have Broadband you’ll need to purchase the required equipment. You’ll need a PS2 Memory card, a Network Adaptor, a Broadband connection (which I’ve talked earlier about), a Connection cable and obviously you’ll need your PS2. The Broadband package should offer all the required equipment with the package (apart from the PS2 and Memory Card, obviously).

Right, once you’re hooked up to the internet, there are three ways in which you can get your PS2 online. They are as follows:

Firstly, you can set up using a direct connection. This is the easiest of the three ways to get online, and requires you simply to place your PS2 and Network adaptor into your Broadband modem. Once done, you can set up your account details and configure your settings.

Secondly, if you would like to share your Broadband connection between your computer and your PS2, then you should opt for the Router connection. To set this up, you’ll need another Broadband modem that will allow you to play your PS2 whilst your computer is turned off.

Finally, the third way of linking up is using the Internet Connection Sharing Connection setup, which is a Windows-based package that allows multiple devices to be used at once. This method is the hardest of the three to setup, but ultimately the cheapest.

Right, once you’re hooked up you’re almost there. All you need to do now is configure your settings, which you can leave as the default and then you can take on the world. As you can see, getting your PS2 online is much easier than setting up Live, so you probably won’t need to wipe away puddles of sweat and let out a huge scream. You can if you want though. I won’t stop you.

General Information

Right, you’re hooked up and you’re practically dying to destroy some poor, innocent little foreigner on FIFA. But take some time out to read about PS2 Network Play and what it has to offer.

PS2 Network Play is a collection of servers run by games publishers over the Internet, which are reserved for PS2 owners. And, unlike with Live, Network Play will cost you precisely zilch, nothing, nought. So, unlike on the Xbox, you can take on the world on your favourite games for free.

However, because PS2 Network Play is free and isn’t a subscription, you’ll only be able to play games on the servers, and nothing else. You won’t get any of the other features Live has to offer, so don’t go strolling onto Network Play, thinking you can have a go at what your Xbox-loving friend showed you on Live, because you won’t be able to. You can setup a friend’s list though, like with Live, that you can add people to who you would like to play against again, and your list will tell you if they are online, and, if they are, what they are playing. You will also be able to set up tournaments for your online games.

You’re communication will come in the form of a USB Headset, just like with Live. Yep, you don’t need to use a keyboard, that as we all know only offers slow communication and you can’t play and type at the same time. But with the headset you can communicate via talking all you want whilst playing. It can feel daunting at first, but you’ll get used to it. The only problem is sometimes you’ll encounter morons that will scream at you using the headset. These people are mentally challenged, so just ignore and terminate the game if needs be. But don’t worry about them, most of the time you’ll play against normal people.

Unless they’re American

But Network Play will offer you some truly thrilling gaming experiences. The setup will give you full access to Network Play 24/7, 365 days a year, meaning you can whip you fellow Brits during the day and at 1.00am sneak out of bed and tear the Yanks and Aussis to shreds.

There are a minority of games that have downloadable content, but this is only minor and the Network Play emphasises playing games online and nothing else. But fear not, as now you can take on the world on your favourite games for no charge whatsoever.

Games

Right, so you’re all hooked up and rearing to go. But what games are worth getting for some frantic online fun? Well, for a start not all games are compatible for Network Play. Look for the ‘With Network Play’ sign at the top of the game’s box to see if it can be played online. There aren’t as many games online on PS2 as the Xbox, but the number of online enabled games is growing fast. But if you’re really stumped and haven’t a clue what games are worth it, I’d suggest the following:

Right, we’ll start with FPS. As I’ve said, there are plenty out there as FPS are very common in multiplayer. SOCOM 2 is basically a must-have for online gamers, and the likes of XIII and Warhammer are pretty good online games. Killzone will offer an enjoyable online experience and there are also plenty to look forward to, such as Timesplitters 3 and Ghost Recon 2.

In terms of Adventure games, Champions of Norrath is very good online, and games like Final Fantasy XI, Metal Gear Solid 3 and Ratchet and Clank 3 will offer excellent online experiences.

If you like beating players to a pulp, Mortal Kombat: Deception and the brilliant WWE: Smackdown vs. Raw should keep you busy.

In terms of sports, then EA’s selection of sports titles could tempt you, especially the excellent FIFA 2005 and Tiger Woods 2005.

And Racing games? Well, the likes of Need for Speed and Midnight Club 2 are a blast online, and racers like Colin McRae 2005 and TOCA 2 are excellent fun playing online.

Verdict

So, all in all I’d say PS2’s Network Play is a pretty decent online setup. It’s not too complicated to get going, and doesn’t cost anything (excluding equipment) to play. Although it doesn’t have any of the features of Live, the Network Play is a simple, concise way of playing the games you want online. Well done Sony.

The Online Experience

Well, after getting hooked up with either Live or Networking, you obviously can’t wait to get going. But the world of online gaming is unknown territory at the moment, so take some time to read the below about the general online experience.

Don’t Type, Talk

We’ll start with the online communication. As I’ve mentioned before, your communication online comes in the form of a USB Headset in both cases. At first the idea of talking to your opponent feels slightly daunting, but don’t worry about it. Talk to your opponent as you would talk to a friend. And if you want to play them again in the future make sure you add them to your friends list. If you do come across a complete moron that screams at you through the Headset, just terminate the game or put the sound on mute. You won’t come across these people often so don’t let them spoil your online experience.

Lagging

An online players worst enemy. Lag is when a game slows down and stops and starts for a short time because there is too much happening on the screen. I have found that it occurs much more on Networking than Live, but overall you’re games shouldn’t lag too much.

Gamers

Well if you’re online you’re obviously going to come up against a lot of these. There are different types of gamers.

To start with, you’ll encounter the normal gamers. These gamers go online quite often and only play for a laugh and aren’t too amazing at video games. These people are pretty decent and if you’re looking for a fairly decent game play against people like these.

Next, you’ll get your psycho gamers, also known as ‘Yanks’. These people are obsessed with video games and are disturbingly good at any game they play online. If you are very good at a game and want a challenge play against these nutcases, but be warned as they can get very hot-headed if you start pulling a few over them.

Now we come to the scum of the online world. Cheaters will use codes and game glitches to their advantage to make your online game a very frustrating and annoying one. Cheaters don’t care about playing a friendly, enjoyable game and are only there to get good rankings and to spoil the fun for others. These cheaters may also start screaming abuse at you, so stay away from these people if you encounter them.

You will also come across people in online gaming that are there for the communication aspects rather than the online gaming. These people will talk more than play, and will use the messaging features more than actually playing games. I don’t really see the point, as you can use the Internet to make new online friends, so don’t expect a challenge if you play against a player like this.

And that’s basically it. Online you’ll be apart of some brilliant gaming experiences. Obviously there are people out there with no life who like to spoil it for people, and lag can drive you nuts. But after a few goes on the online games you’ll feel at home with playing against people across the globe.

Why Console Gaming Online Betters PC Gaming Online

Yep, before this generation of consoles the PC was everyone’s source of online action. But thanks to Live and Networking, we can now enjoy online gaming that betters PC online gaming for the following reasons:

Talking not Typing

Thanks to the USB Headset, console owners can now communicate online via their voice rather than the PC’s keyboard. Talking to people is much quicker than typing, and you can talk and play at the same time, whereas with a PC you can’t type and play at the same time, and the game needs to be halted to write a message.

Less Lag

Even though Lag does occur on Live and Networking, on PC gaming it occurs far more often. This is because with console gaming you need Broadband, so everyone will be playing at the same speed. However, with PC you can play online with Dial-up, meaning that someone on Dial-up can join your game when you’re on Broadband and slow the whole game right down, resulting in a disastrous few minutes of complete lag, where you can hardly move without stopping. And also, with console gaming the speed of your PC has no effect on the game, but with PC gaming the speed of your PC has a lot of effect on the game.

Controllers over Keyboards

It’s a basic fact of life: Controller > Keyboard. With a controller you basically have more control, it’s easier and it’s quicker to perform commands. With a keyboard, although you have hotkeys, for action games and FPS the keyboard is dreadfully slow and irritating to use, and mouse sensitivity can also spoil the fun.

My Online Experiences

We’ll start with Live. I’ve played a few Live games online, and met some pretty decent people online. PGR2 is a common favourite on Live and is very fun to play. I love Burnout 3s frantic gameplay, and Top Spin is superb online. I also enjoy the tactical play of Full Spectrum Warrior and FIFA 2005 is equally as fun. I have met one or two nutcases online, but I simply put the Headset on mute and thump them in silence.

On Networking, I’ve had a bash on plenty of Sport’s titles, including FIFA and Tiger Woods. EA’s Sports Range are excellent online and SOCOM 2 you just simply need to experience. I also enjoyed XIII and the excellent Smackdown vs. Raw. When I played, I didn’t chat as much as on Live. Maybe the Networkers are an unsociable bunch or something.

Xbox Live and PS2 Network Play: Head to Head

Right, I know now that you’re head is probably bombarded with the thought of online play, and you’ve got enough information about online gaming to write a book. But now I’m going to talk about which of the two packages, Xbox Live or PS2 Network Play, is the better deal and offers the better experience.

Getting Online

As you’ve seen, Live takes a lot of time to setup, as you need to install the program as well as getting your Xbox online. Seeing as the PS2 only needs to connect up to the internet, and offers users multiple ways of doing this, I’d say that Network Play is easier to get going than Live. Both though need BT Broadband, which will frustrate many people as AOL is also a very popular internet service.

Cost

Right, both online services require you to purchase a subscription to BT Broadband internet, which can vary between £18.99 and £22.99. Both consoles cost £99.99, and both need the internet equipment, such as a modem and connection cables. However, for Live you’ll need to buy a starter kit, and for the PS2 you need a USB headset and a Memory Card. So for setup, both services cost around the same price. However, you’ll then need to sign up to a £39.99 subscription for Xbox Live, whereas Network Play is free. So, as we can see, Network Play is cheaper. But, as we’ll find out, there are reasons why you need to pay for Live.

Service

In terms of the quality of service, both services can faulter and sometimes stop working completely. But nearly all the time the two services work. However, due to the fact that Live is a subscription and the Xbox is a more powerful console than the PS2, I would say that Live offers a better quality service than Network Play.

Features

Now this why we have to pay for Live and not the Network Play. On the Network Play you get access to online gaming, friend lists and voice communication but nothing else. On Live, you get all of that plus chat rooms, downloadable content for Live enabled games, gamertags/rankings, features that help you get the most out of your gaming, such as Optimatch and on Live there are always new upgrades and features added like the Voice Lobby and MSN interaction. On Network Play you get none of this. So although Network Play is free, you’re basically getting your money’s worth for Live.

Games

PS2 and Xbox both share a lot of the multi-format titles that are online enabled, but when it comes to exclusives games Xbox has the upper hand. With brilliant games like PGR2, Top Spin, Ninja Gaiden, Halo 2 and so many more, you can’t help but laugh at the PS2 exclusive range, with only the likes of SOCOM 2 to boast. Plus, with the Xbox housing better and faster graphics than the PS2, the multi-format games play much better and look much sweeter on the Xbox.

Verdict

So, after reviewing and comparing both online services, I have to admit that Xbox Live beats PS2 Network Play hands down. With much more features, better games and an overall better service, PS2’s free online service can’t compare. If you own an Xbox, I would almost certainly recommend you get Live, and if the PS2 is your console, make sure you get hooked up to the internet with Network Play. But, if you own a PS2 and an Xbox, Live should be your main priority without a doubt.

And there you have it. We’ve come to the end of the wonderful world of online gaming. Whether you have an Xbox, a PS2 or both, I hope my guide made that daunting thought of hooking up to the internet and playing online a reality and a whole lot easier.

Thanks for reading

Crumble
Sun 14/11/04 at 21:01
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
"The winner will be the best entry (in the opinion of the judges) submitted before midnight on Sunday November 14th."
Sun 14/11/04 at 19:09
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Missed the deadline, swander.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.