GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"do you think gamecube is the best console"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/01/05 at 14:12
Regular
"adam is the only ga"
Personally im a fan of ps2 and gamecube but which has the better games and which has the best value. i mean i think cube has better £20 games than ps2 but ps2 has san ansreas, smackdown vs raw and mutitap for additional players. so which is the better console???????
Sat 08/01/05 at 17:43
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
gerrid wrote:
> I also like how everyone says it has realistic handling when they
> wouldn't actually know, being under 17 and probably having never
> raced a car in their life.

Well I do drive, although I've never raced my car. But as for driving a Skyline round a track at 200mph, well, I reckon it would be much more exciting in real life than in Gran Turismo.
Sat 08/01/05 at 15:46
Regular
"Shoot-em-up freak"
Yup, Gran Turismo is sooo boring -no action- especially yhose endurance races & overall GC IS the better console
Sat 08/01/05 at 15:12
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I also like how everyone says it has realistic handling when they wouldn't actually know, being under 17 and probably having never raced a carin their life.
Sat 08/01/05 at 15:11
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I understand why people who really enjoy racing cars like Gran Turismo, because it is just like racing cars (I presume), but it's just no fun to play.
Sat 08/01/05 at 14:38
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
gerrid wrote:
> Have you played Project Gotham? At least it has some appeal. I've
> never classed Gran Turismo as even a decent game, although I know a
> lot of people do, I just don't understand why.

I like Gran Turismo, although I couldn't be bothered with those stupid license tests. I am a fan of motor-sports in general, and Gran Turismo feels like it's been designed for people who enjoy proper, realistic racing. That's why I like it.

However Toca 2 does a far better job, it has good realistic racing, but it does have a fun factor too, due to the huge variety of vehicles.
Sat 08/01/05 at 11:47
Regular
"kill my enemys"
Macintosh wrote:
> Depends on how close to real life things get, and the nature of the
> game. I would have to say here, I am thinking 30 years or more into
> the future.
>
> Here we go then...
>
> (dont laugh), but we certainly dont want to catch a cold in a game
> and feel the effect of it for real. Nor do we want to break a leg if
> we get run over by a car in the game, etc.
>
> On the other hand, certain things would be very nice if they were
> identical to real life. And if you were to add in
> "networking" with other people all around the world, you
> could "visit" you relatives in the USA, without even
> getting on a plane! You could also make "tour guides" -
> places you could vist in the game which would look, feel, and smell
> just like the real life location.
>
> Taking the above technology, you could turn a game like The Getaway
> into a much more lifelike experience. But its a game, so you could
> play in virtual "made up" towns, City's, etc, or
> recreations of real locations. You really could "drive" the
> car with the money in the boot, and take a run at London bridge with
> the bridge open. You would also do dealings with virtual people, and
> the story would change depending on what you said and did.

shut up.this is a load of stupid.you talk no sense man.that will probably never happen for another 100 years or so.yes technology is fast.but not that fast.

how are they gonna put real people in a 'realistic' game.please.nice story.good imagination.but.a lot of cr*p
Sat 08/01/05 at 00:24
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Is it me or is it that as every day goes by Macintosh makes even *less* sense, if that's possible.
Fri 07/01/05 at 23:32
Regular
"Random by default"
I remember a while back when someone from Nintendo said something along the lines of "We arnt concentrating on just more power" or something, bascially meant that :-P.

Everyone took it as "We arnt gonna bother with high end specs" when how i took it was "anybody can throw money at it and give you a high spec machine, but we should be developing other ways to make games fun".

Sooner or later we are gonna have it where the only way to play games is to shell out loads of money as all the useless extras will be added to it. Then your playing on a PC to play console games as the only way to make better consoles atm seem to be "lets add more processor power" or "omg lets add a bookholder to the back of it". We pay a PC price, a year later we realise computers have advanced and we cant upgrade that "out of date" console sitting in the corner of our rooms.

I want to see things that will actually add to the experice of games, that added functionality of that "ultra cool always gonna be useful MegaDVDBLUERAYx500" the company was boasting about isnt going to improve my gaming experience. The added power etc will get to the stage where we are playing the same old games in the same old way only this times in 500 more polygons OMG OMG OMG!.

Touchscreen on the DS is a start, changes the whole way you play the games and also gives developers more chances to come up with new ideas.
Fri 07/01/05 at 22:48
Regular
"bit of a brain"
So in the first instance, games wouldn't actually be games at all, just CGI manifestations of telephone conversations, or pictures or videos. Basically interactive tours of places you've never been. Sounds wonderful, but it's not really gaming, is it?

As for the second part, what you've described is basically the ne type of game that you could get with ultra-realism - life simulations. Where you can go anywhere do anything, but everything is constrained by real world physics etc. The most fun aspect of this game would be in doing things that you can't actually do in real life, rather than simulating things that you can do, like driving a car. Non-realism, fantasy allows much more scope, where you can fly, where you can be Mario and collect coins and platform, where you can roll monkeys around in balls, where you can fight aliens on distant planets.

The problem with ultra realism is, like you said, it limits choice - you get one type of free roaming adventure that is just life without consequences.
Fri 07/01/05 at 22:43
Regular
"and PC user"
Depends on how close to real life things get, and the nature of the game. I would have to say here, I am thinking 30 years or more into the future.

Here we go then...

(dont laugh), but we certainly dont want to catch a cold in a game and feel the effect of it for real. Nor do we want to break a leg if we get run over by a car in the game, etc.

On the other hand, certain things would be very nice if they were identical to real life. And if you were to add in "networking" with other people all around the world, you could "visit" you relatives in the USA, without even getting on a plane! You could also make "tour guides" - places you could vist in the game which would look, feel, and smell just like the real life location.

Taking the above technology, you could turn a game like The Getaway into a much more lifelike experience. But its a game, so you could play in virtual "made up" towns, City's, etc, or recreations of real locations. You really could "drive" the car with the money in the boot, and take a run at London bridge with the bridge open. You would also do dealings with virtual people, and the story would change depending on what you said and did.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.