GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sell me an Xbox"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/01/05 at 14:33
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I don't want you to literally flog your Xbox to me, but I'm interested in reasons as to why I should buy one. This thread, therefore, is about you lot trying to convince me as to why I should get an Xbox. Some pertinent info:

* I don't have a DVD player under my TV, and one of the main reasons I am thinking about buying an Xbox is to fulfil this role. How does an Xbox compare to a standard DVD player when used in this way?

* I already have a Gamecube which I'm extremely happy with and a gaming PC. What games should I look out for that aren't available on either platform (or are done significantly better on the Xbox)? I have absolutely no interest in console FPS games of any kind, unless they are done properly like Metroid Prime (this means no Halo :0|). I also don't like Sports games. So far, my provisional want-list extends to Jet Set Radio Future, Ninja Gaiden and (probably) Project Gotham Racing. This isn't a long enough list of must-haves to warrant buying a console.

* I wasn't interested in Xbox Live until I researched the price a few moments ago (I thought it was £25pm or something insane like that). What are good games to get for Xbox Live? Remember, no FPS, I have a PC for that.

* I've heard people wax lyrical about the Xbox's "great modding potential". What can a modded Xbox do? How much does modding an Xbox cost? How difficult is it to connect a modded Xbox to the Live service?

Come on then, fanboys, prove yourself!
Mon 03/01/05 at 16:40
Regular
"Gamertag Number 10"
Im very happy with my 'XBOX' so im not looking foward to sell i friendly xbox.
Mon 03/01/05 at 16:01
Regular
"\\"
With all of your wants in mind and such, you'd probably be better without spending your money on an Xbox.
Mon 03/01/05 at 15:44
Regular
"Touched!"
Miserableman wrote:
> gerbil man wrote:
> Better than the PS2, but still crap.
>
> Just buy a cheap £30 DVD player if you're wanting to play
> DVDs,
> which will be much better.
>
> Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case, that largely scuppers
> the deal.

I think £50 + maybe, I use my Xbox DVD player at the moment, it's not amazing but it does the job (looks worse on a 28" TV though - pixels show more) but on a smaller TV it's fine.
Mon 03/01/05 at 15:03
Regular
"bing bang bong"
gerbil man wrote:
> Better than the PS2, but still crap.
>
> Just buy a cheap £30 DVD player if you're wanting to play DVDs,
> which will be much better.

Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case, that largely scuppers the deal.
Mon 03/01/05 at 15:00
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Apparently it's much better than a PS2 DVD player. Though I've never
> used it as I have a stand alone.

I've heard this too. Really, I only posed this question so that someone could say "hay mang dvd playback on the xbox requires you to use a bootdisk and it doesn't support widescreen and only 50% of movies released after 2002 play okay and it wont let you play anything with sean connery in after 8pm and it makes a really funny burning smell when its on" to put me off. I need a DVD player, and the thought of buying a dedicated player only to be convinced into getting an Xbox two months later plays HAVOC with my TINY MIND.

Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Other than the ones you've listed, I can't really think of many that
> might float your boat that aren't already on PC. Maybe...Dead or
> Alive : Ultimate? Chronicles of Riddick's a first person shooter, but
> much like Metroid Prime it isn't a normal straight forward shooty
> game. Oh and Conker Live and Reloaded is bound to be godly.
>
> Oh and Fable, KOTOR and the upcoming fighty game from the guys behind
> KOTOR are bound to be worth a look.

DOA doesn't really appeal, I have Soul Calibur 2 and already don't play it enough :0| I heard that Fable was a disappointment, is it the case that it's actually pretty good but was hyped up to be a shattering masterpiece?

Tiltawhirl wrote:
> No 1st person and no sports games? Other than Splinter Cell and
> Crimson Skies, I can't think of any others.

Both of these sound interesting. What about the MotoGP games?
Mon 03/01/05 at 14:46
Regular
Miserableman wrote:
> * I don't have a DVD player under my TV, and one of the main reasons
> I am thinking about buying an Xbox is to fulfil this role. How does
> an Xbox compare to a standard DVD player when used in this way?

Better than the PS2, but still crap.

Just buy a cheap £30 DVD player if you're wanting to play DVDs, which will be much better.
Mon 03/01/05 at 14:42
Regular
Miserableman wrote:
> * I don't have a DVD player under my TV, and one of the main reasons
> I am thinking about buying an Xbox is to fulfil this role. How does
> an Xbox compare to a standard DVD player when used in this way?

Apparently it's much better than a PS2 DVD player. Though I've never used it as I have a stand alone.

> So far, my provisional want-list
> extends to Jet Set Radio Future, Ninja Gaiden and (probably) Project
> Gotham Racing.

If you don't like 1st person shooters and you already have a PC....hmmmmm

Other than the ones you've listed, I can't really think of many that might float your boat that aren't already on PC. Maybe...Dead or Alive : Ultimate? Chronicles of Riddick's a first person shooter, but much like Metroid Prime it isn't a normal straight forward shooty game. Oh and Conker Live and Reloaded is bound to be godly.

Oh and Fable, KOTOR and the upcoming fighty game from the guys behind KOTOR are bound to be worth a look.

> What are good games to get for Xbox Live? Remember, no FPS, I
> have a PC for that.

No 1st person and no sports games? Other than Splinter Cell and Crimson Skies, I can't think of any others.
Mon 03/01/05 at 14:39
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I've also heard good things about KOTOR, so that'll probably get swagged if I get an Xbox too.
Mon 03/01/05 at 14:33
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I don't want you to literally flog your Xbox to me, but I'm interested in reasons as to why I should buy one. This thread, therefore, is about you lot trying to convince me as to why I should get an Xbox. Some pertinent info:

* I don't have a DVD player under my TV, and one of the main reasons I am thinking about buying an Xbox is to fulfil this role. How does an Xbox compare to a standard DVD player when used in this way?

* I already have a Gamecube which I'm extremely happy with and a gaming PC. What games should I look out for that aren't available on either platform (or are done significantly better on the Xbox)? I have absolutely no interest in console FPS games of any kind, unless they are done properly like Metroid Prime (this means no Halo :0|). I also don't like Sports games. So far, my provisional want-list extends to Jet Set Radio Future, Ninja Gaiden and (probably) Project Gotham Racing. This isn't a long enough list of must-haves to warrant buying a console.

* I wasn't interested in Xbox Live until I researched the price a few moments ago (I thought it was £25pm or something insane like that). What are good games to get for Xbox Live? Remember, no FPS, I have a PC for that.

* I've heard people wax lyrical about the Xbox's "great modding potential". What can a modded Xbox do? How much does modding an Xbox cost? How difficult is it to connect a modded Xbox to the Live service?

Come on then, fanboys, prove yourself!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.