GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sell me an Xbox"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/01/05 at 14:33
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I don't want you to literally flog your Xbox to me, but I'm interested in reasons as to why I should buy one. This thread, therefore, is about you lot trying to convince me as to why I should get an Xbox. Some pertinent info:

* I don't have a DVD player under my TV, and one of the main reasons I am thinking about buying an Xbox is to fulfil this role. How does an Xbox compare to a standard DVD player when used in this way?

* I already have a Gamecube which I'm extremely happy with and a gaming PC. What games should I look out for that aren't available on either platform (or are done significantly better on the Xbox)? I have absolutely no interest in console FPS games of any kind, unless they are done properly like Metroid Prime (this means no Halo :0|). I also don't like Sports games. So far, my provisional want-list extends to Jet Set Radio Future, Ninja Gaiden and (probably) Project Gotham Racing. This isn't a long enough list of must-haves to warrant buying a console.

* I wasn't interested in Xbox Live until I researched the price a few moments ago (I thought it was £25pm or something insane like that). What are good games to get for Xbox Live? Remember, no FPS, I have a PC for that.

* I've heard people wax lyrical about the Xbox's "great modding potential". What can a modded Xbox do? How much does modding an Xbox cost? How difficult is it to connect a modded Xbox to the Live service?

Come on then, fanboys, prove yourself!
Tue 04/01/05 at 13:13
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Miserableman wrote:
> * JSRF + Ninja Gaiden are absolute definites.

Hey man - do you know where I can pick up a copy of JSRF from?
Tue 04/01/05 at 13:13
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Miserableman wrote:
> I didn't know GTA VC was available on the Xbox - not
> having a PS2, I was resigned to the GTA games passing me by.

Isnt San Andreas being released on the XBox this June/July time?

> Xbox Live doesn't look so appealing if Crimson Skies and (possibly)
> MotoGP are the only games I might enjoy on it. Given that I'm
> unlikely to connect it to the internet, is there no chance of modding
> it to be able to play multiregion DVDs?

A lot of games at the moment come with a code giving you 2 moths free XBox Live! - So you can try it out,. rent a few games, if its your thing, stick with it, if not, close the account.

I'm a PC gamer normally, and I'm not prepared to make the effort to mod my xbox - I'm planning on using it for multiplayer games with my housemates (and possibly using XBox live!) - though Ninja Gaiden has been keeping me busy

Notorious Biggles was saying that RegionX would allow the X-Box to play DVD's from any region, I definitly be interested in finding a way to make the dvd multi-region (though £15 for the controller and £15(?) for the software I'd still go for a budget dedicated player?)
Tue 04/01/05 at 11:58
Regular
If you think Colin McRae sounds appealing, go for Rallisport Challenge 2 instead - it's the best Rally game you'll play.
Tue 04/01/05 at 11:55
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> stuff

Sold to the man with a strangely urine-yellow title!

* I will probably end up putting in a modchip eventually, but not when I first get it. Depends on whether the dodgy Mysterious Cities of Gold DVD set I've ordered from the US will play in any of my DVD players.
* JSRF + Ninja Gaiden are absolute definites.
* PGR2 is highly probable.
* Colin Mcrae is something I hadn't considered, and sounds very appealing.
* KOTOR sounds like a good game. I'm not a desperate fan of Skies of Arcadia, it's a very good but not as genre-shattering as some make out.
* I'll check out Fable. I caught none of the hype so I won't be let down by that.
* Crimson Skies sounds interesting. The only flight-sim I remember playing on a console is Pilotwings, which is pretty abstract.
* I never thought I'd get to play the GTA games this generation, so an Xbox would be great for that. Alas, I already have Monkey Ball 1 + 2 :0(
* Burnout 3 sounds like a great party game, confirm/deny?

Given the coachloads of expensive and brilliant Gamecube games I still have to buy, I think this list will easily last me the next year at least, by which point there will be more games and consoles to buy. Now I just need to find one that doesn't come with a billion games already packaged...
Tue 04/01/05 at 09:24
Regular
You sure? I'm sure I remember having problems playing Multi-region DVD's without said program.

I do know it saves you from having to buy a DVD Remote kit though.
Tue 04/01/05 at 09:08
"I love yo... lamp."
A modded Xbox won't need that. Region X was designed for unmodded Xboxes.
Tue 04/01/05 at 08:52
Regular
Miserableman wrote:
> is there no chance of modding
> it to be able to play multiregion DVDs?

A modded Xbox can play multi-region DVDs. You need to get hold of the unrelease Datel program though.
Tue 04/01/05 at 08:46
Regular
Ninja Gaiden, Hitman and Dead or Alive aside I wouldn't bother.

If you have a half-decent PC pretty much all multi-format games are better played there. The likes of Hitman and Prince of Persia are better played on consoles for hassle free control pad issues but you don't need an Xbox specifically to play them. The Zboard on PC makes Hitman a hell of a lot more playable but I would still rather pick up an Xbox controller and play it.

Halo 2 has a pants single player and seeing as it is FPS No.203004544 you won't find anything you haven't seen hundreds of times done in a better way. PGR2 is extremely dull to play either on or offline and Burnout 3 becomes boring within the hour. Pretty much everything else is better to play on the PC if you have one that is half-decent.
Tue 04/01/05 at 03:13
"I love yo... lamp."
The DVD playback is great. I've connected mine to my widescreen in the living room in the past and it was fine. I connected it to a 5.1 surround sound system and it sounded great. The playback is almost as good as my high end player which now lives in the living room, the Xbox lives in my bedroom. Yeah I hide it depending on who woman of the moment is. As for multi region... well you can set it to any region once. You play a Region 1 DVD first on an Xbox and it locks to that. As for unlocking it, if you were to use a modchip, you could play multiregion DVDs or games. Easy to do, less than £40 and you can get ones that turn off, which is needed to go on Live.

What type of games do you like? Really the Xbox has great games in most genres. The ones it lacks in are turn based Japanese style RPGs and platformers. Although, Jet Set Radio Future is my favourite platformer ever. Ninja Gaiden is the best slash 'em up/angry game ever. Probably. As for console FPS games... For multiplayer Halo 2 is really difficult to beat. I play PC games as well, but PC games don't cut it for as Armitage Shanks put it, post-pub gaming. Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow is excellent. More stealth than shooting.

Racing games are the Xbox's strongest genre probably. PGR2 is in my opinion the best racer ever. But, if I can't persuade you of that, and I did review it, then Burnout 3 is pretty decent for arcadey really fast boosting and crashing; RalliSport Challenge 2 covers arcadey rallying; Colin McRae 3 & 4 serious rallying; Sega GT2002 & GT Online manage the Gran Turismo style money and tuning type racing, although both of them are likely to be majorly out done by Forza Motorsport in February which appears to be a Gran Turismo beater. There are plenty more as well.

Crimson Skies is awesome. Great single player although it lacked replay value, but it had a great multiplayer. Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City are available as a double pack on Xbox, both apparently better on Xbox than on PS2 or PC. San Andreas is confirmed for June. Sega are releasing a Monkey Ball Deluxe game which has MB1 and 2 rolled into one game with extra content. Fable is tremendously good in actual fact, just overly hyped.

Star Wars KOTOR was great. I liked it probably more than Skies Of Arcadia, although the clincher for me was that whilst I don't like Star Wars, I prefer it to the fantasy of Skies Of Arcadia. Morrowind is another decent RPG for Xbox. I know it's also on PC, but I'd rather play a never ending game from the comfort of my armchair than a swivel chair.

There are a bunch of good fighting games as well, although you don't seem particularly interested in them. There are a few adventure games.

As for Live, most of the top racing games are on Live. PGR2 is probably the best Live game there is apart maybe from Halo 2, which is the best online FPS on any platform. There are a bunch of online fighters, a bunch of online sports games and a bunch of online shooters. No online RPGs though, True Fantasy was cancelled, although it is going to appear in some form either on Xbox or Xbox Next/Xbox 2/Xenon. Even if it was good for nothing else, Live is worth having for the downloadable content. Two booster packs for PGR2, so that's two new cities and 20 new cars or so. £3 each. New modes and planes and maps for Crimson Skies, free. More stuff for other games.

A modded Xbox can do almost anything a PC can. You can install Linux on them and use them as ultra quiet PCs. You can get adapters and use keyboards on them. You can even run Find-A-Drug on them if you have Linux on them. As I already said, less than £40 for a mod chip, easy to install, and you can take one online if you turn the mod chip off.
Tue 04/01/05 at 00:46
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Great input folks, keep it coming. The SEGA games and Burnout 3 sound interesting, and I didn't know GTA VC was available on the Xbox - not having a PS2, I was resigned to the GTA games passing me by. I might try and borrow an Xbox off someone at work (working in a games company has its perks :0) to see if the DVD playback is okay on my telly - it's a 28" TV but not a particularly good one, and I expect a better player might be wasted on it.

Xbox Live doesn't look so appealing if Crimson Skies and (possibly) MotoGP are the only games I might enjoy on it. Given that I'm unlikely to connect it to the internet, is there no chance of modding it to be able to play multiregion DVDs?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.