GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sell me an Xbox"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/01/05 at 14:33
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I don't want you to literally flog your Xbox to me, but I'm interested in reasons as to why I should buy one. This thread, therefore, is about you lot trying to convince me as to why I should get an Xbox. Some pertinent info:

* I don't have a DVD player under my TV, and one of the main reasons I am thinking about buying an Xbox is to fulfil this role. How does an Xbox compare to a standard DVD player when used in this way?

* I already have a Gamecube which I'm extremely happy with and a gaming PC. What games should I look out for that aren't available on either platform (or are done significantly better on the Xbox)? I have absolutely no interest in console FPS games of any kind, unless they are done properly like Metroid Prime (this means no Halo :0|). I also don't like Sports games. So far, my provisional want-list extends to Jet Set Radio Future, Ninja Gaiden and (probably) Project Gotham Racing. This isn't a long enough list of must-haves to warrant buying a console.

* I wasn't interested in Xbox Live until I researched the price a few moments ago (I thought it was £25pm or something insane like that). What are good games to get for Xbox Live? Remember, no FPS, I have a PC for that.

* I've heard people wax lyrical about the Xbox's "great modding potential". What can a modded Xbox do? How much does modding an Xbox cost? How difficult is it to connect a modded Xbox to the Live service?

Come on then, fanboys, prove yourself!
Mon 03/01/05 at 23:38
Regular
"Forgot my password."
Sega GT is also exclusive and thats a corker in my opinion.
Mon 03/01/05 at 23:37
Regular
"Laughingstock"
It has a few SEGA exclusives like Jet Set Radio Future and Panzer Dragoon Orta - proper games with a unique atmosphere. But even SEGA have gone to the dogs in these LIVE obsessed times, so... bah bah blacksheep to it all.
Mon 03/01/05 at 23:15
Regular
"Forgot my password."
I might actually sell you mine, maybe. £160 with 5 gamesand i'll even give you my year on xbox live.
Mon 03/01/05 at 23:01
Regular
"Touched!"
gerbil man wrote:
> sPiKeCaSt wrote:
> Wtf are you on?
>
> Sense, apparently.
>
> If you want a decent top quality DVD player you are
>
> Who said anything about "top quality" before you just then?
>
>
> looking at more than a cheap £30 WH smiths DVD player which
> would be slightly better than the Xbox DVD playback.
>
> Hahahahahahaahah.
>
> I've got £100 DVD player downstairs which is leagues above our
> £50
> one.

Sense? Surely if he was considering a DVD player he would probably want one that is half decent considering he is asking how good it is, why pay £30 for a cheap player which according to you is "hahahah" when he could spend £50-100 (I'm not saying he does want to spend this much) on a better one that would last him longer and give him much better sound and features such as progressive scan. If you seriously believe that a £30 player is hardly much different to a £100 in terms of quality then you have problems upstairs. I dunno about you but I and many others would want a decent player and not some cheap crap from Smiths, but each to their own, I prefer to go for quality rather than paying for £30 for a cheap one which breaks after a year (yes before you ask this has happened to me).

Like I have already said the Xbox player does the job (I use until I can decide which DVD player to go for) but when using a bigger TV I can notice on my 28" screen that the image is quite poor and he would be better off with a standalone player.
Mon 03/01/05 at 18:52
Regular
sPiKeCaSt wrote:
> Wtf are you on?

Sense, apparently.

> If you want a decent top quality DVD player you are

Who said anything about "top quality" before you just then?

> looking at more than a cheap £30 WH smiths DVD player which
> would be slightly better than the Xbox DVD playback.

Hahahahahahaahah.

> I've got £100 DVD player downstairs which is leagues above our £50
> one.

So?
Mon 03/01/05 at 18:46
Regular
"Touched!"
gerbil man wrote:
> sPiKeCaSt wrote:
> I think £50 + maybe
>
> Simply; no.

Wtf are you on? If you want a decent top quality DVD player you are looking at more than a cheap £30 WH smiths DVD player which would be slightly better than the Xbox DVD playback. I've got a £100 DVD player downstairs which is leagues above our £50 one.
Mon 03/01/05 at 18:13
"High polygon count"
Now before I say anything else, I must make it clear that I've never been a huge fan of Xbox, even though I've had one from launch. This is more due to the games than any dislike of the machine iteself.

I bought it for HALO, which I then found disappointing. It's on it's 2nd HD, as the first failed. In all the time I've had it, I've probably only had about 6 games for it. Best of all those was Full Spectrum Warrior.

Oddly, while I sold my Gamecube in November, I haven't yet been able to bring myself to sell the Xbox. I don't know why - probably because I'm still hoping for a real 'must have' game to appear. But with the next-gen machines looming large on the horizon, time is running out.

Can't comment on the DVD aspect, as I've never used it.

That said, if I didn't already have one, I wouldn't bother getting one, purely because I don't find enough of the Xbox-exclusive games appealing.
Mon 03/01/05 at 17:59
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Miserableman wrote:
> Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case, that largely scuppers
> the deal.

There’s nothing wrong with the Xbox DVD play - but like gerbil man says, you can grab a cheap multi-region (there no multiregion hack for the Xbox as far as I know) for 30 quid (a multiregion DivX player from WHSmith at the moment too)

If you not getting it for the games, then there’s no good reason to grab one - I'm a PC gamer myself - I went for the Xbox primarily for post-pub gaming (sitting around a computer playing games with mates after a few bevies is rubbish - and screw LAN gaming)

Its got Games like Ninja Gaiden, Fable, Spierman2 which are fun single players - Burnout 3, Crimson Skies, etc. which are fun online and with mates - also personally I've found console FPS games are a different experience to PC titles (although a joy pad does suck compared to a mouse and keyboard) death matches with mates is cool and your never going to get Time splitters 2 style gaming on the PC

btw Fable is a lot of fun, from what I understand the problem was that Molyneux guy promised a huge list of features in the game, most of which were cut out of the final release - as long as you don’t know the hype its a lot of fun

(spell check edit - sorry chaps)
Mon 03/01/05 at 17:49
Regular
sPiKeCaSt wrote:
> I think £50 + maybe

Simply; no.
Mon 03/01/05 at 16:41
Regular
"Gamertag Number 10"
Im very happy with my 'XBOX' so im not looking foward to sell my friendly xbox crystal.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.