GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sell me an Xbox"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/01/05 at 14:33
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I don't want you to literally flog your Xbox to me, but I'm interested in reasons as to why I should buy one. This thread, therefore, is about you lot trying to convince me as to why I should get an Xbox. Some pertinent info:

* I don't have a DVD player under my TV, and one of the main reasons I am thinking about buying an Xbox is to fulfil this role. How does an Xbox compare to a standard DVD player when used in this way?

* I already have a Gamecube which I'm extremely happy with and a gaming PC. What games should I look out for that aren't available on either platform (or are done significantly better on the Xbox)? I have absolutely no interest in console FPS games of any kind, unless they are done properly like Metroid Prime (this means no Halo :0|). I also don't like Sports games. So far, my provisional want-list extends to Jet Set Radio Future, Ninja Gaiden and (probably) Project Gotham Racing. This isn't a long enough list of must-haves to warrant buying a console.

* I wasn't interested in Xbox Live until I researched the price a few moments ago (I thought it was £25pm or something insane like that). What are good games to get for Xbox Live? Remember, no FPS, I have a PC for that.

* I've heard people wax lyrical about the Xbox's "great modding potential". What can a modded Xbox do? How much does modding an Xbox cost? How difficult is it to connect a modded Xbox to the Live service?

Come on then, fanboys, prove yourself!
Fri 07/01/05 at 16:03
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I've just swagged myself a disc with JSRF and SegaGT 2002 on it off a chap at work who's selling all his Xbox games to emigrate. So now I have to lay down £100 for an Xbox to play these games I bought for a fiver. My logic is completely flawless.
Wed 05/01/05 at 13:51
Regular
Haha.
Wed 05/01/05 at 13:16
Regular
iv recently bought a x-box but then i found out upon purchasing mine that i had to also buy a dvd playback kit as well but there is no comparison between the x-box and a stand alone dvd the x-box wins hands down in every way trust me you want to get strait out there and get one yours sincerly cosworth.
Wed 05/01/05 at 00:13
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> * JSRF + Ninja Gaiden are absolute definites.
> * PGR2 is highly probable.
>
> I cannot recommend it enough. Over 100 hours on and whilst I've
> basically completed it there are a few cars I've got left to unlock.
> There is also the perfect multiplayer mode. There is also challenge
> things that get changed every week on Live, with leaderboards and
> stuff. I want some new content soon though.

The main reason why it's only a "probable" is that I have the Dreamcast original and never completed it, despite it being ace (didn't stop me getting Soul Calibur 2, I suppose). Also my boss complains that the handling is not realistic enough, but his pedantry is legendary, plus his head is shaped like a potato.

> * Crimson Skies sounds interesting. The only flight-sim I remember
> playing on a console is Pilotwings, which is pretty abstract.
>
> If it's realism you're looking for you'll be let down. It's a noirish
> 1930's set air pirates game. So much fun though.

That sounds even better.

> ßulle†† wrote:
> If you think Colin McRae sounds appealing, go for Rallisport
> Challenge
> 2 instead - it's the best Rally game you'll play.
>
> This is in fact true. RalliSport Challenge 2 is fantastic.
>
> And the one other game I forgot to mention that really deserves one
> is OutRun 2. Stupendously good fun, old school racer. Been so long
> since I've played a game with points in it!

Duly noted and added.
Wed 05/01/05 at 00:02
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Tomdrum wrote:
> omg wen u sed u didnt like halo but u did like metroid prime then im
> not surprised you chos gc

Please don't blaspheme in my thread. I'm extremely religious and it offends my inner child.
Tue 04/01/05 at 18:06
Regular
"'i need a weapon'"
omg wen u sed u didnt like halo but u did like metroid prime then im not surprised you chos gc
Tue 04/01/05 at 17:40
"I love yo... lamp."
Miserableman wrote:
> Notorious Biggles wrote:
> stuff
>
> Sold to the man with a strangely urine-yellow title!
>
> * I will probably end up putting in a modchip eventually, but not
> when I first get it. Depends on whether the dodgy Mysterious Cities
> of Gold DVD set I've ordered from the US will play in any of my DVD
> players.

As I said, you can decide which region to make it. If you already have another DVD player you could make the Xbox a dedicated region 1 player, which was my plan until I forgot one night and watched a region 2 from my bed.

> * JSRF + Ninja Gaiden are absolute definites.
> * PGR2 is highly probable.

I cannot recommend it enough. Over 100 hours on and whilst I've basically completed it there are a few cars I've got left to unlock. There is also the perfect multiplayer mode. There is also challenge things that get changed every week on Live, with leaderboards and stuff. I want some new content soon though.

> * Colin Mcrae is something I hadn't considered, and sounds very
> appealing.
> * KOTOR sounds like a good game. I'm not a desperate fan of Skies of
> Arcadia, it's a very good but not as genre-shattering as some make
> out.

They aren't really alike, better point that out. Just mentioned it because Skies is one of the better RPGs in the past few years, but I felt that KOTOR bettered it on many levels.

> * I'll check out Fable. I caught none of the hype so I won't be let
> down by that.
> * Crimson Skies sounds interesting. The only flight-sim I remember
> playing on a console is Pilotwings, which is pretty abstract.

If it's realism you're looking for you'll be let down. It's a noirish 1930's set air pirates game. So much fun though.

I've been looking at getting Special Weapons Over Normandy which is another flight sim on Xbox. Again I hear it is rather arcadey, but Hedfix raved about it for quite a while.

> * I never thought I'd get to play the GTA games this generation, so
> an Xbox would be great for that. Alas, I already have Monkey Ball 1 +
> 2 :0(

Oh there are another 100 odd missions and more modes apparently. Which, since I never got round to buying either of them for the Gamecube I am rather chuffed about.

> * Burnout 3 sounds like a great party game, confirm/deny?

Yes it is. Burnout 3 started off great for the first 5 hours or so. Lots of variety, races, takedowns, hot laps, crash junctions. After a while though it just ends up getting repetitive in single player which is why it suddenly died for many of us. However as a multiplayer game it can be quite fun actually as it's pretty fun enraging friends my mashing them into oncoming traffic. It was fun on Live, but the problem was that EA have their own servers for Live and to begin with they were terrible. OK now though.
>
> Given the coachloads of expensive and brilliant Gamecube games I
> still have to buy, I think this list will easily last me the next
> year at least, by which point there will be more games and consoles
> to buy. Now I just need to find one that doesn't come with a billion
> games already packaged...

ßulle†† wrote:
> If you think Colin McRae sounds appealing, go for Rallisport Challenge
> 2 instead - it's the best Rally game you'll play.

This is in fact true. RalliSport Challenge 2 is fantastic. Graphically it is truly astounding for an Xbox game and it has so much to do in it. Well judged difficulty curve as well... easy at first and now that I'm near the end of it I'm getting to the controller thowing stage.

And the one other game I forgot to mention that really deserves one is OutRun 2. Stupendously good fun, old school racer. Been so long since I've played a game with points in it!
Tue 04/01/05 at 14:10
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Unlocked everything - Xbox blew up. Bought another one, unlocked everything again. There's just something about it for me. But what are SEGA doing these days... Not very much from what I can tell. They seem to have forgotten what an original game is.
Tue 04/01/05 at 14:00
Regular
JSRF was superb up to the point where it asks you to replay the same levels and find all those damn dirty graffiti tags.

I got stuck on the rooftops level and gave up.
Tue 04/01/05 at 13:58
Regular
"Laughingstock"
JSRF - best single-player game on the box. Still. IN my opinion.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.