GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hero"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/09/04 at 20:04
Regular
"America, _ yeah!!"
Desperate to see this but not had the time.

Could somebody please give me a good description or brief overview of the story and compare it to other martial arts films...
Sun 03/10/04 at 12:24
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Goatboy wrote:
> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, what a Victorian Housewife.

*creases with laughter*

Ha ha ah HHHAAAAA, that almost puts perfectly into words everything that the Daily Mail is and does.
Sun 03/10/04 at 12:23
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Dail Mail gave it 2/5 too? Must be crap then!

Seriously, it's awesome. Had it on DVD for a while, used it to 'wow' a mate who said he was more "cutting edge" than me. What a clown.
Sun 03/10/04 at 12:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Mr Tookey gave 'Saw' 2 out
> of 5 because it was 'disgusting'.
---------

Chris Tookey.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, what a Victorian Housewife. He got sniffy about Hero because he wasn't the 1st one there. He hated City of God as well.
He's the most prissy, uptight racist middle-aged WASP I've ever come across.
He's almost as clueless about cinema as Alexander Walker used to be. It was a great day for film criticism when that dinosaur passed away. Same as modern culture rejoiced when that lemon-faced Witchfinder General Mary Whitehouse died, I almost danced a jig when I heard that puritan hatemonger snuffed it.
Sun 03/10/04 at 12:18
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Agreed, CTHD was a very very good film but was embraced, I think, more for being the 1st real classical Chinese "martial-arts" film on mass release, people had never seen something like that before - hence a lot of idiotic complaints about people "flying" and "impossible moves". But hey, that's what happens when you deliver a foreign mythology into the hands of people that want Jackie Chan doing somersaults, they just don't get the reasoning behind it and baaaaaahbaaaaaah about it.

The sequel to Hero, or follow-on more than sequel, is due soon. Which means we'll get in in 2 years time.

If you liked CTHD, you'll like Hero.
If you thought CTHD was "stupid" because they fought on tree-tops and ran over rooftoops then avoid this one, because there's fights on lake surfaces and upside down in chess-houses.
Sun 03/10/04 at 12:16
Regular
monkey_man wrote:
"2 out of 5 the other day, but it wasn't the Daily Mail,"

Actually, they gave it 2/5 too. Parents at work still by it, I do the crossword and laugh at the movie reviews. Mr Tookey gave 'Saw' 2 out of 5 because it was 'disgusting'.
Sun 03/10/04 at 12:10
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
CTHD was a bit ass, but Hero is the real deal. Stunning.

Oh, and some idiot paper gave it 2 out of 5 the other day. Possibly the most fantastic film to ever come out of Asia, and they poo-poo it. Can't remember which one, but it wasn't the Daily Mail, who would probably suggest that the Asian Ninja shadow Government special dubbed branch spent millions on the film just to smuggle a few asylum seekers in from Beijing, or something who cares whatever anywho blah.
Sun 03/10/04 at 11:43
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Dialup double deal.
Sun 03/10/04 at 11:43
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Lou Role wrote:
> Hollywood made the effects go way over the
> top in Crouching Tiger, you could see most of those moves were
> impossible and quite frankly, tacky. If you want to see some good
> martial arts films get the older stuff from Hong Kong Legends, the
> majority of that stuff is brilliant.

-----------------

*shakes head slowly*
Hollywood had nothing to do with CTHD apart from distributing it.
As for those "moves were impossible and quite frankly impossible", I suggest you go bone up on Chinese Mythology and their notion of supreme fighters being so attuned with the earth/elements that they are able to operate in tandem with elemental forces, bending them for their uses. Hence flight/running up walls.
Yet you say about seeing "older stuff from Hong Kong Legends". Which is chock-full of the exact same stylised "impossible moves" that you seem to dislike about CTHD.
It's not difficult, but if you're going to wax intellectual about a subject, then at least check you do know what you're talking about.
Otherwise you risk coming off as a tad...silly.

Oh, and Hero is in Mandarin, as was CTHD.
Not Chinese. Small point but important.
Sun 03/10/04 at 02:07
So besides the "amazing" martial arts effects, what is the point of seeing these films?
Sun 03/10/04 at 01:48
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I'll go see Hero, but I have to admit I prefer Jet Li's older stuff, as well as Jackie Chans. Hollywood made the effects go way over the top in Crouching Tiger, you could see most of those moves were impossible and quite frankly, tacky. If you want to see some good martial arts films get the older stuff from Hong Kong Legends, the majority of that stuff is brilliant.

I like these particular movies subtitled, it's just more authentic. Dubbed voiceovers are ridiculous, but the HKL dvd's give you the choice. I watched Police Story (an old Jackie Chan movie) a few months back on channel 5, and the used dubbed voice overs and it was laughable. However watch the same movie with the subtitles and the movie becomes the proper action film it's supposed to be, and not some tacky 'comedy'.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.