GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half Life: did it get better?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Sat 15/01/05 at 01:47
Regular
"8==="
I bought the Half-Life generation pack a couple of years ago. I kept on encountering crappy jumping sections in the extra games and only progressed so far as the marine chopper landing in the original.

Did it get any better if you played further?

It gets mentioned alongside the likes of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark but apart from the way it's presented I found it to be a terrible, dull FPS over the 20 odd hour I spent playing through the various versions (Blue Shift etc).

Do did it get better? If not I don't see why it's such a 'classic'.
Sat 15/01/05 at 11:42
Regular
"8==="
I bought the Generation pack in 2001 but I'd seen it before. It's daft putting in a group of games containing Zelda:OOT, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark as it comes out looking awful.

They should bunch it with the Quakes, it always felt like a more stealthy Quake.
Sat 15/01/05 at 10:33
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
And then Half-Life 2 was just a whole new level. The bit with the crane and the cargo containers, and the crushi...I won't spoil it for you.
Sat 15/01/05 at 10:26
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Hedfix wrote:
> Do did it get better? If not I don't see why it's such a 'classic'.

Well, nowerdays it's pretty dated. Then it was revolutionary. It's a corridor shooter because of engine limitations. FarCry style open environments were impossible.

*shrug* It's all personal taste, but the fact that it's still held in high regard throughout both the industry and the gaming public shows the effect it had. I was enthralled throughout (well, until Zen).

Would you get at space invaders for simple graphics and repetative gameplay? ;)
Sat 15/01/05 at 03:50
Regular
"8==="
The footage I've seen looks ok. It's definately a giant improvement.
Sat 15/01/05 at 03:46
Regular
Who gives a rat's ass - HL2 is Godlike, and that's all that matters.
Sat 15/01/05 at 03:13
Regular
"8==="
cipro wrote:
>
> Because, just perhaps, other people actually liked it allot more than
> you?

Sitting next to Zelda:OOT, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and even the level design of Doom it really didn't come across as amazing. It was like playing quake with a better story, worse level design and poor scripted events.
Sat 15/01/05 at 03:10
Regular
"8==="
Was it less of a corridor shooter later on?
Sat 15/01/05 at 02:35
Regular
Yes it did get better. That chopter bit is just the start...but then again if you weren't hooked at that point then you probably wouldn't like the rest of the game. Top game imo.
Sat 15/01/05 at 02:30
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Hedfix wrote:
> If not I don't see why it's such a 'classic'.

Because, just perhaps, other people actually liked it allot more than you?

Though saying that, the final Xen section was terrible, whether you liked the game or not.
Sat 15/01/05 at 01:47
Regular
"8==="
I bought the Half-Life generation pack a couple of years ago. I kept on encountering crappy jumping sections in the extra games and only progressed so far as the marine chopper landing in the original.

Did it get any better if you played further?

It gets mentioned alongside the likes of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark but apart from the way it's presented I found it to be a terrible, dull FPS over the 20 odd hour I spent playing through the various versions (Blue Shift etc).

Do did it get better? If not I don't see why it's such a 'classic'.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.