GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half Life: did it get better?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Sat 15/01/05 at 01:47
Regular
"8==="
I bought the Half-Life generation pack a couple of years ago. I kept on encountering crappy jumping sections in the extra games and only progressed so far as the marine chopper landing in the original.

Did it get any better if you played further?

It gets mentioned alongside the likes of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark but apart from the way it's presented I found it to be a terrible, dull FPS over the 20 odd hour I spent playing through the various versions (Blue Shift etc).

Do did it get better? If not I don't see why it's such a 'classic'.
Mon 17/01/05 at 15:42
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Hedfix wrote:
> 1997: Goldeneye. Office complexes, science labs, nuclear silo.
> Outdoor environments. NO stupid jumps.
>
> Half-life looked dated when it was released if you'd played a few
> console FPS games.

I never played Goldeneye, and I don't recall any FPS on the PS1 at the time either (though I do remember the first Medal of Honor game, which was brilliant at the time, but ruined with by-the-numbers sequels).

Whether I'd I've found Goldeneye to be better than HL is something I'll never know, so HL will remain a superb FPS in my eye's, well deserved of it's classic status.
Mon 17/01/05 at 15:35
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
To be honest, I don't see what the point of these topics are apart from posting your opinion, and leaving it at that. I personally found HL to be great, as I hadn't played any console FPS. That isn't going to change, and no amount of people telling me otherwise will change that. Quake eventually bored me in the same way that the recent Doom3 did. HL gripped me. ;D
Mon 17/01/05 at 15:26
Regular
"8==="
cipro wrote:
> I never felt that Half Life needed any out door environments,
> they weren’t integral to the game at all. But I loved Black Mesa,
> just one huge continuous environment that constantly changed the
> further along you went, Office Complexes, Toxic Waste Storage,
> Science Labs, sure it may look a little dated by today’s standards,
> but back in 1998 there really was nothing like it.

1997: Goldeneye. Office complexes, science labs, nuclear silo. Outdoor environments. NO stupid jumps.

Half-life looked dated when it was released if you'd played a few console FPS games.

As far as shooting aliens goes I had more fun on Zero Tolerance and that was on the Megadrive. :D

I agree the immersion was great, it's a shame the surrounding game was a poor man's Quake.
Mon 17/01/05 at 15:20
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I never felt that Half Life needed any out door environments, they weren’t integral to the game at all. But I loved Black Mesa, just one huge continuous environment that constantly changed the further along you went, Office Complexes, Toxic Waste Storage, Science Labs, sure it may look a little dated by today’s standards, but back in 1998 there really was nothing like it.

I also loved the opening 20 minutes, just being left to explore part of the base, chatting to (or being insulted by) fellow scientists and immersing myself in the environment before having to face what was to come.

Don’t make the mistake of assuming that Half Life is undeserving of it’s classic status simply because you think it was outclassed by other games, it did allot for the FPS genre and, was then, one of the finest games I’d ever played.

But Xen was still a terrible mistake, awful, absolute awful section to end the game with.
Mon 17/01/05 at 14:59
Regular
"8==="
Decent outdoor environments from the start.

If I want to shoot Zombie/Alien thing I'll play the original Doom which is more fun and doesn't have crappy jumping sections.
Mon 17/01/05 at 12:20
Regular
"Selected"
Half-Life takes a dump, from a great height, on Turok.

IT WAS A SHOOTY-SHOOTY-BANG-BANG GAME WITH ZOMBIES AND ALIENS!

What more could you ask for? Nothing, thats what.
Mon 17/01/05 at 02:14
Regular
"8==="
Turok 1 even. Nice outside environments etc. Coming to to the closed in Half-Life after playing that was a big letdown.
Sun 16/01/05 at 16:58
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I always thought that Goldeneye was a far better shooter than Half Life. In fact, I even prefer Turok 2.
Sun 16/01/05 at 09:14
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Hedfix wrote:
> We already had better on the consoles though, that's what I'm getting
> at.

Fair dos. I haven't owned a console since the Snes. ;P
Sun 16/01/05 at 00:10
Regular
"8==="
Pandaemonium wrote:
> NOTHING like it had been seen on the PC before.

We already had better on the consoles though, that's what I'm getting at.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.