GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half Life: did it get better?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Sat 15/01/05 at 01:47
Regular
"8==="
I bought the Half-Life generation pack a couple of years ago. I kept on encountering crappy jumping sections in the extra games and only progressed so far as the marine chopper landing in the original.

Did it get any better if you played further?

It gets mentioned alongside the likes of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark but apart from the way it's presented I found it to be a terrible, dull FPS over the 20 odd hour I spent playing through the various versions (Blue Shift etc).

Do did it get better? If not I don't see why it's such a 'classic'.
Sat 15/01/05 at 21:27
Regular
Ah, nm m8 xx
Sat 15/01/05 at 21:26
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
*shrug*

philistines thelorrofyeh, you just can't apreciate when something ground breaking comes along. Sure, HL was a bit rough around the edges, but NOTHING like it had been seen on the PC before.
Sat 15/01/05 at 20:49
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I neve thought Half Life was that great. The story didn't grab me, and I was really put off by the whole first 2 hours. Everyone raved about the AI but I thought it was pretty rudimentary, the guards didn't do anything special. I also hated that you were forced through the game by the developers, and it was really obvious. Seeing the helicopter land with the marines, and then having to be shoved back into vents crawling with facehuggers was just a kick in the balls. I also hated the aliens - they're just a poor excuse for not coding any AI on your enemies. The guns were good, andwhen you got into some proper firefights the game got better but then you'd just spend hours wandering through more coridoors shooting apparating aliens. It really annoyed me.
Sat 15/01/05 at 20:47
Regular
I'm exactly the same.
I've played CS far more than I have HL2.
Sat 15/01/05 at 20:44
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I still haven't finished Halif Life 2.

It's good.

But I really can't be bothered. And the best bits are the bits when you aren't shooting.

I mean, OMG WTF?!
Sat 15/01/05 at 15:58
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I must admit I felt pretty much the same way when playing through half life 1 and 2. I spent large sections of the game very bored (not so much in HL2 though). For me, alot of it was over played, half way through any given level you'd seen all it had to offer and the rest was just more of the same. Maybe my short attention span is the problem though. :P
Sat 15/01/05 at 12:11
Regular
"8==="
Half-Life 2 looks good however the telekenesis gameplay I've already done in Psi-ops and Second Sight.

Still another nice looking blaster will do me on the 'box.
Sat 15/01/05 at 12:02
Regular
Half-Life was a pile of toss.

Half-Life 2 is the daddy though.

End of Part 1
Sat 15/01/05 at 11:59
Regular
"8==="
It's odd because a lot of people's best games go along the lines of:

1997: Goldeneye
1998: Half-Life/Zelda:OOT
1999: Perfect Dark/Other

Half-Life's clearly outclassed.
Sat 15/01/05 at 11:53
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Hedfix wrote:
> I bought the Generation pack in 2001 but I'd seen it before. It's daft
> putting in a group of games containing Zelda:OOT, Goldeneye and
> Perfect Dark as it comes out looking awful.
>
> They should bunch it with the Quakes, it always felt like a more
> stealthy Quake.

Yeah, it does look awful. Later patches addressed some model issues so they didn't look so monged, but it still wasn't very pretty even at the time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.