GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do you have an imported PSP?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 18/01/05 at 19:47
"High polygon count"
Well, do you?

What exactly is in the box? I know it may or may not be slightly different for the UK release, but I'm interested to know.

I'm on the verge of pre-ordering one from Amazon... the only thing holding me back at the moment is the possibility of better packages from elsewhere.

I just wish Sony would hurry up and make an official announcement so that everyone could get their deals together!
Sat 22/01/05 at 14:35
Regular
"bit of a brain"
PSP only lasts 2 hours when playing movies. I've already pointed out my views on Video and MP3 for the PSP, in that I don't think either are things that you'd ever use.

As for 6 hours, people always say "but I'll never play for 6 hours", but handhelds aren't like home consoles. You don't play them as much and you forget to charge them, so when you do want to play after a month or so, you find it's not charged and you can't take it on the train ride with you. As for saying that it doesn't matter because you can go home and plug it into a socket, what's the point of buying a handhled if youre going to play it at home! Especially when all the games are just PS2 clones so far.

I'd buy into the PSP if I didn't think that all I would be getting was sub standard PS2 games on a smaller screen.
Sat 22/01/05 at 14:49
"High polygon count"
gerrid wrote:
> As for 6 hours, people always say "but I'll never play for 6
> hours", but handhelds aren't like home consoles. You don't play
> them as much and you forget to charge them

Well, that's down to the individual's own oversight. It also affects every system, regardless of battery life.

> so when you do want to play after a month or so, you find it's not
> charged and you can't take it on the train ride with you.

But anyone with any sense will make sure it's fully charged before they go. It's no different from plugging in your mobile every couple of days.

> I'd buy into the PSP if I didn't think that all I would be getting
> was sub standard PS2 games on a smaller screen.

That's all you ever got on a handheld. Until now. But the machine is comparable on power to the PS2, so the games don't need to be sub-standard versions - that will depend on the developers. GT4 is said to be a direct port. But how you can question the games when Nintendo are (seemingly yet again) re-releasing the entire Mario back-catalogue is beyond me!
Sat 22/01/05 at 14:54
Regular
"bit of a brain"
They released one game.

Anyway, 6 hours is not that great, really. The gamegear had 5 and people complained horribly about that.

As for substandard - they are the same as PS2 games, but on a smaller screen and they will be missing options. So they are substandard. And if you're going to play your games at home, why not just get them on your PS2? Then you can play them on a bigger screen.

As for handhleds never offering big deep games, that's not true. There are a lot of very long, deep games on the GBA, so the PSP dones't particlarly offer anything new in that area. All it allows for is more graphical complexity.
Sat 22/01/05 at 14:56
Regular
"bit of a brain"
6 hours won't cripple the PSP the way it would if it were only 3 hours (as some games are), but it just means a lot more charging, and more often finding that you can't use your PSP because you didn't charge it.
Sat 22/01/05 at 15:20
"High polygon count"
For the power of the machine, cartridges are not a viable media - not enough capacity for games to make full use of the power. Some form of disc was necessary. Discs use lasers, lasers guzzle power. Thankfully they've used a decent size screen too, but that also guzzles power.

Six hours isn't great, no. But it is acceptable when you consider what it's powering. Colour back-lit screens and lasers are major drains on any battery, so PSP was never going to have outstanding battery life.

Regarding charging... as I think I've mentioned elsewhere, I have a Sony Clie NX-70V, which has a large screen a 10-hour battery life. I use that regularly (including games), and it is basically on charge whenever it's not in use. I've never been unable to use it through lack of charge yet.

All I'm saying is that I don't see my PSP being any different. If it's not in use, it'll be on charge. 6 hours will easily last me a day while I'm out. If I'm going to be away for more than a day, and I'm taking it with me, I'll also take the charger. Just as I do with my mobile.

So whether it's six hours or sixty hours, it just isn't an issue. Not for me, anyway... and I don't see that anyone else is that different.
Sat 22/01/05 at 15:24
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Having to cart the changer with you everywhere doesn't seem that portable to me.

I'm interested, do you think you'll ever use the MP3 or movie features? or are you just buying it for the games?
Sat 22/01/05 at 17:54
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> PSP is trying to sell to the casual adult gamer. Just like the PS2.
> It
> is trying to appeal as a "cool" machine.
>
> Here we go again - Ninty's are the only "hardcore" gamers.
> Rubbish.

No... Nintendo sell to kids wookiee. Those who play handheld games. Hardcore gamers have nothing to do with it.

> And the PSP is a bit too, well, technological for kids to be fair.
>
> And like the PS2, PSP isn't aimed at kids. Gaming is no longer a
> kid-centred industry.

But handheld gaming is! I know 20 friends who own PS2's. I know one, hardcore gamer, who owns a Gameboy. My ex-girlfriend gets laughed at because of her N-Gage and she keeps saying "I just use it for a phone". Handheld gaming is percieved as SAD!

> Nintendo haven't had competiton? SEGA perhaps?
>
> Yes, Sega. But the Game Gear has been gone for years, in which time
> Nintendo have had the handheld market all to themselves, building a
> massive user base. Hence the reason (probably) that people in Japan
> are choosing the DS - backwards compatibility.

Only with the GBA.

> Why did that superior console fail wookiee? Was it because of short
> battery life.
>
> Who knows? I had both a Game Gear and a Gameboy, and couldn't really
> get on with either. My reasons for getting rid of both were the same
> - shallow games. It had nothing to do with battery life.

Game Gear played almost identical games to the Megadrive! And there were tonnes of deep games for the Gameboy. Zelda perhaps???

> I imagine a battery life of six hours will be more than enough for
> most people. I rarely play 'real' console games for longer than that
> in one sitting, and I can't imagine a scenario where I would be
> playing games for more than a couple of hours solid while I was out
> and about.

That's not the point is it! The PSP isn't just for playing games, it is for listening to music and watching films. The fact is the Game Gear had roughly the same battery life and it failed. The PSP does even more than the GameGear. Does this hope to succeed?

> Watching movies? Six hours is around three movies worth.

Except battery life is about 2 hours 30 minutes for movies.

> Music? Battery will last longer then, anyway.

Apparently not.

> The battery life won't be an issue for most people. Portable TVs
> chew up batteries in less time, if used constantly. Portable DVD
> players don't last that long either - usually around 4 hours.

Yep and they don't sell very well either.

> Plus, your gaming preferences will also be the major factor in
> deciding which machine you choose. For those like myself who aren't
> interested in yet another batch of Mario re-releases with 'DS' tagged
> on the end, there is only one choice - even if the battery life was
> only 2 hours.

Except the DS, like the Gameboy, will have Metal Gear games, GTA games, Final Fantasy games and pretty much every game that makes the Playstation so popular. Remember the DS isn't a Gamecube, third parties will be supporting it.
Sat 22/01/05 at 17:55
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
But how you can question the games when
> Nintendo are (seemingly yet again) re-releasing the entire Mario
> back-catalogue is beyond me!

1 game? 1 re-release and you call it the "entire mario back-catalogue".
Sat 22/01/05 at 18:00
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I don't know what Wookie is on about with al the N64 relreleases, to be honest. There's only two games that arent originals on the release schedule, Mario 64 and Ridge Racer.

All of the others are completely new games. If you're talking about ports then just look at the PSP!
Sat 22/01/05 at 18:00
Regular
And more to the point you can't just re-release games on the DS, the system won't allow you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.