GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do you have an imported PSP?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 18/01/05 at 19:47
"High polygon count"
Well, do you?

What exactly is in the box? I know it may or may not be slightly different for the UK release, but I'm interested to know.

I'm on the verge of pre-ordering one from Amazon... the only thing holding me back at the moment is the possibility of better packages from elsewhere.

I just wish Sony would hurry up and make an official announcement so that everyone could get their deals together!
Fri 21/01/05 at 20:24
Regular
Darwock wrote:
> That IGN thing is a joke.. just look at their bit on the memory
> stick.. 'it's too small for MP3s! It's too small for videos! Photos
> will fill it up quickly! Oh but it'll last you ages for game saves'

Yes it's called a review, Darwock.
Fri 21/01/05 at 20:30
Regular
"i own groovy land"
WHAT THE HELL.....
Fri 21/01/05 at 20:35
Regular
"bit of a brain"
holy crap I think I see a triad!
Fri 21/01/05 at 23:15
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> A warning for you owners, if you haven't already seen it...
>
> [URL]http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3563&likref=alert450[/URL]
>
>
> But it seems like PSP is going places.

Not according to the Japanese sales figures (ho ho).
Fri 21/01/05 at 23:23
"High polygon count"
Dringo wrote:
> Not according to the Japanese sales figures (ho ho).

As was pointed out to you in the Nintendo forum, this is more down to the limited number Sony made than anything else.
Fri 21/01/05 at 23:35
Regular
So why was it that the PSP didn't sell out. Why was it, when systems were avalible for the new year Nintendo sold 108,000 and Sony sold 60,000....

Sony don't even think the PSP will sell that much.

Nintendo already have a 3 million head start over the system, which means that Sony will have to go all out to catch up. After all, the more systems Nintendo sell the larger the word of mouth and popularity just spirals. I mean Nintendo still have a full month of DS sales in the US to make the job extra hard for the PSP.
Sat 22/01/05 at 00:30
"High polygon count"
Probably because millions of Japanese, while preferring PlayStation and PlayStation2 to any comparable Nintendo console, have only ever had Nintendo machines when it comes to handhelds.

Therefore they have lots of Gameboy games, and as the DS is backwards compatible, it's an obvious choice.

Unlike with Sega in the home console market, Nintendo has never had a serious competitor in the handheld arena. When the PSP is (officially) globally available, I'm sure things will improve. It may not surpass the DS, but it will be the choice of many. I certainly know which one I'll be buying. I'm sure others will also wise up in time! ;-)
Sat 22/01/05 at 12:28
Regular
PSP is trying to sell to the casual adult gamer. Just like the PS2. It is trying to appeal as a "cool" machine.

I laugh at that because casual adult gamers wouldn't be seen dead with a handheld machine.

And the PSP is a bit too, well, technological for kids to be fair.

When Nintendo release the GBE in the next year or two then the PSP will flail.

Nintendo haven't had competiton? SEGA perhaps?

Why did that superior console fail wookiee?

Was it because of short battery life. I'm sure Sony won't make that mis... oh.
Sat 22/01/05 at 13:22
Regular
"8==="
Does the PSP have a cover/fold up? I haven't been paying attention to it.

The DS appears to be able to fold up which means it's going to appear tougher to those buying it for their kids.
Sat 22/01/05 at 14:19
"High polygon count"
Dringo wrote:
> PSP is trying to sell to the casual adult gamer. Just like the PS2. It
> is trying to appeal as a "cool" machine.

Here we go again - Ninty's are the only "hardcore" gamers. Rubbish. They're so harcore that they ignore gaming history before the NES.

> And the PSP is a bit too, well, technological for kids to be fair.

And like the PS2, PSP isn't aimed at kids. Gaming is no longer a kid-centred industry.

> When Nintendo release the GBE in the next year or two then the PSP
> will flail.

You hope.

> Nintendo haven't had competiton? SEGA perhaps?

Yes, Sega. But the Game Gear has been gone for years, in which time Nintendo have had the handheld market all to themselves, building a massive user base. Hence the reason (probably) that people in Japan are choosing the DS - backwards compatibility.

> Why did that superior console fail wookiee? Was it because of short battery life.

Who knows? I had both a Game Gear and a Gameboy, and couldn't really get on with either. My reasons for getting rid of both were the same - shallow games. It had nothing to do with battery life.

I imagine a battery life of six hours will be more than enough for most people. I rarely play 'real' console games for longer than that in one sitting, and I can't imagine a scenario where I would be playing games for more than a couple of hours solid while I was out and about.

Watching movies? Six hours is around three movies worth.

Music? Battery will last longer then, anyway.

The battery life won't be an issue for most people. Portable TVs chew up batteries in less time, if used constantly. Portable DVD players don't last that long either - usually around 4 hours.

Plus, your gaming preferences will also be the major factor in deciding which machine you choose. For those like myself who aren't interested in yet another batch of Mario re-releases with 'DS' tagged on the end, there is only one choice - even if the battery life was only 2 hours.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.