GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do you have an imported PSP?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 18/01/05 at 19:47
"High polygon count"
Well, do you?

What exactly is in the box? I know it may or may not be slightly different for the UK release, but I'm interested to know.

I'm on the verge of pre-ordering one from Amazon... the only thing holding me back at the moment is the possibility of better packages from elsewhere.

I just wish Sony would hurry up and make an official announcement so that everyone could get their deals together!
Sun 23/01/05 at 13:18
Regular
"bit of a brain"
The N64 used cartridges and the best N64 games are much deeper and more involving, not to mention better, than pretty much all of the PS2 catalogue.

Wookie you're sounding like Macintosh "carts can't offer a good game because they dont have the storage space! to make a good game you need lots of storage!!!". It's just not true. Handheld gaming isn't about deep, stat filled games anyway.

And what the hell are you on about with your memory card thing? Saves are on the game card. You don't need a memory stick to save your games. It's as simple as that. Why would you ever have more than 3 saves for the same game?

And if you're talking abou the PSP "extras" being "use it if you want", you're still paying for them even if you don't use it. I don't see paying for something that you're not going to use as good sense, dunno about you.

GTA VC is also only 1.3GB big, so it could go on the cube. So space has nothing to do with it. You'd struggle to find a game that was over 1.5GB and wasn't on two discs anyway.
Sun 23/01/05 at 12:27
Regular
128 MB Cartridges?

A: The DS uses cards which are massive
B: The GBA uses 256 MB cartridges

Where are you getting this information!

You're terrible you really are.

Sony never made gaming cool, just acceptible in homes. I cannot imagine going to the pub and seeing 5 or 6 people playing their PSP's. Or down the park to see the legion of townies showing off their latest PSP device.

I mean that's bound to increase the sex appeal of the average teen.
Sun 23/01/05 at 03:31
Regular
Me
Sun 23/01/05 at 03:22
"High polygon count"
Dringo wrote:
> 1 game? 1 re-release and you call it the "entire mario
> back-catalogue".

Well, one Mario game is much the same as all the rest... one game/all the games... who can tell?! :-)
Sun 23/01/05 at 03:21
"High polygon count"
Dringo wrote:
> No... Nintendo sell to kids wookiee. Those who play handheld games.
> Hardcore gamers have nothing to do with it.

My point is that with Sony entering the handheld market, they could - not will but could - change the demographic, as they did with standard consoles.

> My ex-girlfriend gets laughed at because of her N-Gage

And so she should! They're bloody awful things! :-)

> Game Gear played almost identical games to the Megadrive! And there
> were tonnes of deep games for the Gameboy. Zelda perhaps???

Megadrive games weren't exactly deep either! Cartridge-based systems just didn't/don't have the capacity. After my Acetronic, I never owned another 'proper' console for that very reason. At the time, consoles were most definitely for kids, and I went the way of the home computer.

Apart from the brief spell with the handhelds, I never owned another console until the original PlayStation was released. I actually went out to buy a Saturn with Panzer Dragoon, but saw Wipeout running on the PlayStation, bought that instead, and never looked back.

> That's not the point is it! The PSP isn't just for playing games, it
> is for listening to music and watching films.

Only if you want to. Extras, not necessities. Primarily a games machine.

> The fact is the Game Gear had roughly the same battery life
> and it failed. The PSP does even more than the GameGear.
> Does this hope to succeed?

Well, as you've said - it has the same battery life, yet does much more. Why should it fail? I've already explained my thoughts on the battery life.

> Remember the DS isn't a Gamecube, third parties will be supporting it.

As they will the PSP. But PSP versions of games have the potential to be far larger and more involving, simply as a result of the media. 128MB cartridge vs. 1.8Gb disc?

Potentially the same issues the Gamecube's 1.5Gb disc has compared to the 9Gb capacity of PS2 and Xbox - it prevented games the size and complexity of GTA3/Vice City/San Andreas (and others) appearing on the console. (Regardless of your view of these games, they are massive sellers and would possibly have attracted more people to the Cube, preventing it from becoming the 'budget' console so early in its lifespan.)

But I digress.

To be honest - I don't even know why people are comparing the machines. Having just had a good read through the specs of each for the first time, it's clear that these machines are in different leagues. 260,000 colours vs. 16 million? Virtual surround vs. 7.1 audio? No wonder the DS has a longer battery life!

Besides, according to the Nintendo site, the DS itself only has 6 to 10 hours battery life, depending on use. Not that great a difference, especially when you consider the power difference between the two machines.

The way people have been going on about it, I expected the DS to have a 20 to 30-hour battery life or something. I wish I'd checked earlier - I wouldn't have bothered wasting my time!
Sun 23/01/05 at 03:20
"High polygon count"
gerrid wrote:
> Having to cart the changer with you everywhere doesn't seem that
> portable to me.

If you look at it that way, surely nothing "portable" is truly portable - because if you're going to be away for a while, you will need the charger.

> I'm interested, do you think you'll ever use the MP3 or movie
> features? or are you just buying it for the games?

I may use it for MP3 occasionally, as I already have some large memory sticks for my other Sony eqipment. Movies I don't know really, but probably not. Mostly just for games. I intend at some point to get an NW-HD3 for my music.
Sun 23/01/05 at 03:18
"High polygon count"
gerrid wrote:
> Don't even get me started on the fact that you need a memory card for
> a handheld console.

But we will be paying just the once, unlike DS owners who - for more complex games requiring larger saves - will have to pay more for each cartridge that needs the memory. Another drawback of the cartridge format.

"The size of the save RAM in Nintendo DS games will be equivalent to what's already available on the Game Boy Advance: 4 kilobits (half a kilobyte) for starters, with sizes all the way up to 512 kilobits (64 kilobytes) and beyond made available to games that require it. Naturally, the larger the storage capacity, the more expensive the cartridge's manufacturing price."

(Taken from: http://ds.ign.com/articles/550/550120p1.html)

I'd rather pay just the once. Around £30 for a 256MB MS DUO - never need another card!
Sat 22/01/05 at 19:19
Regular
"8==="
gerrid wrote:
> PSP only lasts 2 hours when playing movies.

Can't wait for LOTR on it then.
Sat 22/01/05 at 18:00
Regular
And more to the point you can't just re-release games on the DS, the system won't allow you.
Sat 22/01/05 at 18:00
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I don't know what Wookie is on about with al the N64 relreleases, to be honest. There's only two games that arent originals on the release schedule, Mario 64 and Ridge Racer.

All of the others are completely new games. If you're talking about ports then just look at the PSP!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.